• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where to start?

Nina84

I am new here and would like to hear how you guys began the whole procedure. I have wanted to go for the band for yeears but never done anything about it as wanted to try to loose weight on my own but its not working at all, just rather gaining weight instead.

Recently i have noticed pains in my joints, knees an ankles, so have booked an appointment at my GP for thursday.

If i mention to him about my joints and that i want to be referred to nhs for the band? I that how its done or how?

Would love to hear your advise.

Xx

Ps am in manchester and my BMI is 43

Nina just ask out right for a refferal hun xxx Good Luck xx

Hi Nina,
Just ask your Doctor.
Every PCT is different, as is every doctor. If your doctor is receptive to wls, they will guide you through the process for your PCT.
My advice is to find out which PCT you fall under, find out their criteria for WLS.
If you know that your PcT requires 6 months weight management, you will not be surprised when they suggest it.
Finally some doctors have little or no experience when it comes to Wls, referrals etc, so you may have to 'guide' them.

I hope it all goes well on Thursday.
SN

Hello

I went to doc as I was unwell with health condition they referred me to pct but I never got funding after I had lots of test and was poke and prod so in the end I just went private

I hope u get more help the I did

Best luck Lisa x

Lisa

Hiya, I'm the same. I got referred by my GP to a weight management clinic, I've been attending this for 3 years and keep getting told I haven't got the correct criteria for funding. It's so maddening, my BMI is 43 I have PCOS, had surgery for arthritis in my knees, have high BP and I'm Pre-diabetic! How much more do they want???
My PCT won't fund under a BMI of 50 now. I've decided to self pay and got a loan, getting banded on 22/10 - cant wait now!!! Sometimes life isn't fair hon, I hope you have more success, good luck :)

SAS1 said:
Hiya, I'm the same. I got referred by my GP to a weight management clinic, I've been attending this for 3 years and keep getting told I haven't got the correct criteria for funding. It's so maddening, my BMI is 43 I have PCOS, had surgery for arthritis in my knees, have high BP and I'm Pre-diabetic! How much more do they want???
My PCT won't fund under a BMI of 50 now. I've decided to self pay and got a loan, getting banded on 22/10 - cant wait now!!! Sometimes life isn't fair hon, I hope you have more success, good luck :)

Hey:)

I think it's totally unfair that they won't do it for u or me yet they do it for other people. I own my own hair salon and recently a client came in goes to same doctors as me does not have any health condition other than she slightly bigger than me ie 1.5 stones more
And she just been approved for a band so I honestly don't no how they work it maybe it luck of the draw:-(

But honestly it will be the best thing u ever had done or spent ur money on.
I wish u all the luck
Lisa x

There is def criteria, I had asked for funding and had been refused. Went back to gp who had contacted the PCT to find out the criteria. I was told for my area that it was sleep apnea (however that is spelt!!) or diabetes. They asked gp to do tests again and I had raised blood sugar twice so they classified me as diabetic. I was then approved for surgery.

The problem is you can never tell what people have wrong with them, they only tell you what they want, so the lady in the hair salon may well have had an underlying condition which made her eligible.

Once you know which PCT you are under you can look up the crietria, or just phone and ask them, good luck.

lyzzyanne said:
There is def criteria, I had asked for funding and had been refused. Went back to gp who had contacted the PCT to find out the criteria. I was told for my area that it was sleep apnea (however that is spelt!!) or diabetes. They asked gp to do tests again and I had raised blood sugar twice so they classified me as diabetic. I was then approved for surgery.

The problem is you can never tell what people have wrong with them, they only tell you what they want, so the lady in the hair salon may well have had an underlying condition which made her eligible.

Once you know which PCT you are under you can look up the crietria, or just phone and ask them, good luck.

The lady who came in to my hair salon
I asked her she said she never had any prob but like u said she could of been not telling me truth.
But u never no she said there was nonthink wrong and I kinda belive her as she looked fine:-(
The pct I went agaist a board panel but still never got any help:-(
So had to pay but best thing I have every paid for x

I'm from Walsall and I got referred for wmc for 6 months and now I've done that I've for appointments booked for jan to see the surgeon etc hope you get sorted ;-)

I'm from Walsall and I got referred for wmc for 6 months and now I've done that I've for appointments booked for jan to see the surgeon etc hope you get sorted ;-)

Hi lee, good luck with your appointment. I went private in the end, but don't regret a thing. Be the best thing that ever happened to you :)

lisa1983 said:
The lady who came in to my hair salon
I asked her she said she never had any prob but like u said she could of been not telling me truth.
But u never no she said there was nonthink wrong and I kinda belive her as she looked fine:-(
The pct I went agaist a board panel but still never got any help:-(
So had to pay but best thing I have every paid for x

If you contact your local PALS they will give you the criteria. I know in Manchester they require the six months weight management classes. Then request funding. I got mine in Bradford and it was a smooth, easy journey but I have seen nightmare tales. I really hope you get sorted. Xx

Back