• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whos scared of puting it all back on

pinkylin

Me I am big time i keep hearing stories lately about peeps puting the weight back on and more 1 id like to know how the hell are they doin this when you can only eat very small amounts or doesnt it always stay that way?

2 what the hell are they eating thats putin the weight back on ?

I alow myself once a month to have a lil treat and when i say lil i mean lil as im scared of dumping ie 3or4 malteasers or 2 spoonfulls of low fat ice cream or a pkt of low fat crisps i mean come on that wont put the weight back on will it?

i also got told the other day your ppouch grows back over time to the origanal size of your stomach WHAT????????:eek:

I dont remember getin told this also surely it cant coz we wouldnt have the room in out insides for 2 stomachs surely not:eek::eek::confused::confused:

Now ive not put this thread up to scare any pre oppers as i would just like to say i would do this all over again in a heartbeat i wont say its easy its not theres alot to get ya head around but when you do it is worth it yeh i still miss food and dont think that will ever go away but when i weigh it up in my mind its a small sacrifice to pay for a healthier way of living and living is what im doing for the first time in yrs im not just existing anymore lin.x :D

When well used to the restriction, some people test it.

Those that don't dump can easily eat many fattening foods and go back to bad habits. They are sabotageing it all - who knows why.

Post-op psych care should be given to a lot of people who just want to go back to eating rubbish.

To think of how the tool of bariatric surgery can help and to think of the hoops people jump through to get surgery, it seems a waste.

A lot of people too when they find they don't dump take advantage and rather than 3 or 4 Maltesers, it's a huge box of Maltesers in place of a meal. It's calories in versus calories out at the end of the day.

Then you get the very unfortunate situation of people who are devastated with the excess skin, and try to fill it back up again.

People regaining or not losing is only a minute percentage so don't worry, and I am sure the vast majority of people lose weight and keep it off.

You'll be fine!

The stomach can stretch again if you continually push how much you eat. Together with eating high calorie foods and grazing it is possible to put all the weight back on. This said if you stick to eating at meal times and eat slowly you should keep the weight off forever.

Great thread Lin, and something that people should think about right at the start of their journeys. So many times I see threads that say x lb lost forever, and I offer my congrats with everyone else, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking i *hope* its lost forever.

I think WLSers need to make a commitment to follow the rules for life ie protein first, no drinking with meals, eat slowly and stop when full. And of course to exercise if they are able to because as someone above said, its always going to come down to simple maths... calories in needs to be equal to or less than calories out, depending whether we are trying to lose or maintain.

As long as the rules are followed, and we keep an eye on what we are eating then we should be OK.

thanx guys well in my case thank god i get dumping is all im saying lol coz i knw at the time of the month if i didnt dump i would eat choc till it come out my ears but im glad to say i do get it and im afraid of eating the wrong things incase i get it so thats good for me lol

as for stretching my pouch at the moment i cant even eat a small bloody roast (6mths out) i can manage a bit of veg a bit of chicken and 1spud lol but my prob im having is coz im eaten so little about 2hrs later im hungry again im not starving but im hungry and i knw its not head hunger coz if i do eat something and feel satisfied i knw i was really hungry i dont drink with meals i wait a gud 20 30 mins till after ive eaten but i don worry that im not eatin enough maybe im eating to fast but im sure im not coz i chew like mad so if i was eating fast i would be gulping it down wouldnt i ?

anyway i will just carry on with what im doin at the mo and i will ask questions when i go bk hosp on the 21st and yes i agree i think we need to see a head doc straight after surgery and as for wanting to fill loose skin bk up with fat no thanx i dont mind my loose skin to be honest coz ive been quite lucky and lost my weight farely slowish so it doesnt look that bad yet but even when it does im not bothered to be honest lol

as for my weight loss like i said im 6months out and im just hoping i keep losing till i get to my goal of 12st im hoping and praying i dont stay at this weight of 14.11 not that there is anythin wrong with bein this weight its just i really want to be 12st and hopefully a size 16 or even 14 if im really lucky lol lin.x

Great thread Lin, and something that people should think about right at the start of their journeys. So many times I see threads that say x lb lost forever, and I offer my congrats with everyone else, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking i *hope* its lost forever.

i know im band at the moment not bypass (yet) but when i was 1st banded 5 years ago i had high hopes that my weight loss would be forever, twice now i have regained weight due to faulty banding, yes bands is different to bypass but the same applies if the rules isnt follwed then the weight can come back.

I think WLSers need to make a commitment to follow the rules for life ie protein first, no drinking with meals, eat slowly and stop when full. And of course to exercise if they are able to because as someone above said, its always going to come down to simple maths... calories in needs to be equal to or less than calories out, depending whether we are trying to lose or maintain.

once im bypassed i will give it my all just like with my banding as this 3rd surgery is my last chance to re loose my gain and maintain it for life.

As long as the rules are followed, and we keep an eye on what we are eating then we should be OK.

just as anything in life, if the rules arnt followed failure is awaiting us, wls is only a aid to weight loss if we dont work with the aid then its a waste of time and money having wls.

The way I see my surgery is to give me a big old boost to losing weight but not to be the 'cure' to my propensity towards obesity. I see it as an aid to getting to comfortable and healthy weight and then it is MY job to keep at that weight. Obviously if I follow all of the rules etc then I am going to have a slightly easier time keeping the weight off, but I am NEVER going to go back to old habits, that is why I dont eat chocolate, deserts or biscuits. I saw some diabetic shortbread biscuits the other day and that is my favourite type of biscuit but I have never been able to control myself with biscuits and so I didnt even bother to buy them. I dont want to go back to the place that got me to needing surgery. I have always considered my bypass to be my reset button with food and it truly has been and I have such good control over what I eat and I think that my attitude goes a long way towards my strength with foods.
I understand that people want to just feel 'normal' and that is why they try 'normal' foods but I just dont feel that way. I dont mind saying "no sorry, I cant eat that" and asking people to make exceptions for me, people make exceptions for vegetarians and people with intolerances, it really isnt much different asking for low sugar/fat things.
So whilst I may struggle later down the line if I dont do my part and exercise and follow my pouch's rules, but I am determined to, I went through far too much to ruin it all and as I am NHS I am not going to sh*t all over the gift of surgery that I was given.
So yes, many do put weight back on or at least struggle to keep it off, but if you go into it all with a positive attitude and determination to keep strong then you will be fine.
Steph xx

I must say it does worry me a bit. I have been able to diet but there seems some mechanism in me which seems to sabotage everything I have achieved.

I am hoping that the op will give me long enough to get out of the habit and I will enjoy the control I hope it is going to give me. I must say I have always envied people who leave food on their plate.

Pre surgery I had almost zero control. I only managed the pre op diet because I knew it was only for a few weeks, but even then I struggled badly. Post surgery, I have more control which I'm grateful for. I do allow myself treats occasionally and I have bought the no added sugar shortbread biscuits but I only allow myself two a day on work days (I work 3 days a week) and I've been able to stick to that religiously quite easily. I haven't tried normal chocolate post surgery because I'm worried that if I found I could eat it, I would and not stop. With diabetic chocolate I can eat a little and stop for some reason.

I would hope that with this new found control I will be able to keep off the weight that I do lose. If I feel hungry at the minute I drink something first and if 10 mins after drinking I'm still hungry then I will eat something. But it's usually either an apple, or a light mini babybel.

I have been told by an american friend of mine of a person who stretched their pouch so much they had to be bypassed a second time. Apparently all he did was just have an extra mouthful with every meal.

I am definately afraid of re-gaining my weight, in fact I feel ill even thinking about gaining again. I now realise that my pre-op emotional eating was a HUGE factor in my obesity and my surgery did nothing to sort those issues. The truly hard work was left to me in that I had to re-learn how to eat. The first 6 months post-op were relatively easy because I made the committment I have always made with diets in the past, I was sooo good and never took any chances that I would dump. But after I passed the 6 month mark and actual hunger returned, the really hard work began for me. I had to fight the urge to graze, eat slider foods (crisps, biscuits) and consume convenience foods. As someone who is a year and a half post-op, I have a slightly larger pouch (due to normal stretching, not abuse) and I can consume sweets and fats in a larger quantity than I expected. So, my challenge now is to fight those old habits and continue with my good habits. But it is work, every day for me to steer away from my old ways. After all those bad habits have been with me for 30+ years and have been the only constant.

Weight re-gain can and will happen to those who do not take the opportunity during the early days post-op to build good eating habits. In the early days you can use the lack of hunger, the higher sensitivity to sugars and fats, and the very small pouch to re-train your body and work on your head issues. My advice is to make the most of your pre-op time and early post-op months by working on your food issues as well as learning about nutrition and good eating habits. It is really the only way to make wls permanent: LEARN, LISTEN, LIVE IT. Learn what you can about healthy eating and coping skils, Listen to your body and let it guide you on when to eat and how to eat and then finally take what you have learned and Live It every day - then you will find yourself healthy and slim for the rest of your life.

Nic:)

I too am scared of regaining the weight lost but feel that the amount of food I eat now it should'nt be possible. I'm under no illusion that its gone forever but considering the amount of food I used to eat and the amount I struggle to eat now I'm confident the weight will stay away.

Wow thanx to all your replys to this thread.

I am quite careful of what i put in my mouth and only allow myself a treat once a month like i said b4 but i seem to struggle on a daily basis of what to eat i was never givin an eating plan or anythin like that from the hospital so i just go by what i would of eatin on ww or sw ie cereal or a small peice of toast for breky lunch would be ryvita with a meat or tuna topping and for tea its norm a jacket spud or homemade chicken curry or somethin like that i cant eat pasta and i struggle with rice so everythn seems to be potatoes either jacket or boiled or i dont have any pots and just have the meat or fish or whatever if i do snack in between wich i dont on a daily basis only every now and again on a really hungry day i eat fruit of mini babybell is what im doin right what do you eat on a daily basis????????? is there somewhere i could follow a plan????? lin.x

also just wanted to add im always checkin my weight at least once a wk so im sure when i stop losin weight and have to start maintaining i will still b goin on the scales and if i even see a pound go on i knw i will be doin my utmost to get it off again lin.x

Back