• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why do I feel like I'm failing?

Karma67

Hi all,
Now I don't want to come across as a doom and gloom merchant but lately I feel that I've failed after my op :cry::cry:

I lost really well initially but now I'm losing at a snail's pace since Sept.....only about 4kgs :eek::eek::cry::cry::cry:

I need a good kick up the backside to be honest.....I've been making a few bad food choices recently :eek:, not daily but obviously often enough to affect my weight loss :sigh: Plus discovering that I dont dump has thrown me, i sooo wanted to be a dumper!! and now I sneak the odd biccie now and again etc...not a whole packet like before but 1-2.

I have my 6 mths check up on 2nd of Dec (but its actually 8mths) and I'm really worried they are going to be cross with my little weight loss...up until now they hospital have been very pleased with me, even though what I thought was little weight loss they said was great and bang on track....about 8-9lbs a month.

With this slow weight loss of recent my total weight loss since my op on 31/3/10 is only 55 lbs :eek::eek: which averages out at 6.8lbs/mth :sigh:.

But on the bright side i'm not wearing size 26-28 clothes anymore but size 20 and sometimes a generous 18! and have lost 101lbs since I began this journey...but still.....not good enough I must get back on track, I'm only half way through I still want to lose another 90lbs!

So, any advice etc would be gratefully received x

Last edited:
Hello Angel, with a steady weightloss of 8 to 9 lbs per month, I would feel pleased. It's great that you are pulling yourself up by posting this thread and divert from the sugar and high fat products, tell yourself to aim down another dress size and don't feel down... you're doing brilliantly, but you can't get complacent... it's ok to have your treats now and then, but record your intake and lean on us if you need more support.

Loving hugs and good luck on your wls journey... you have done so well... keep going xxx

i know how you feel hun , i to am losing at a snails pace, i have also started making bad food choices, but im sure when u go to the drs they will be please with you, i was told they only like you to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week, any more than that and they will tell you to eat more, any less than that they will tell u to eat less, so your weight loss seems right on target hun so dont worry. xx

hi there,

I would say your far from failing,infact your doing really well!
You must look at your weightloss per month and realise this is a healthy loss.
I reckon if you lost more than this youd be feeling ill,weak and have hairloss.
I know its hard as we all want to lose the weight fast.
And myself have had a couple of weeks of slow loss,but my hubby reminds me its better to lose it slowly,as its going to come off in the end.
hope you feel better soon ur doing very very well! x

I agree with all thats already been said so far. I dont think you are failing atall, some people just loose really fast and others more slowly. I know it can be disheartening when it seems to be everyone else is doing better than you but as long as its coming off you are winning :D Keep going hun, remember the tale of the tortoise and the hare ;) XX

I agree with all of the above. Slow weight loss must be better for maintaining in the long run. I hope I am like that - I hope it will help with excess skin. Keep going - you are doing really well.

tranquil

Well i think you have done amazing love and you must be feeling great.
Stop worrying about it. xxxx

I too feel like you, but I'm making bad choices everyday - also not a dumper :-(.

My excuses are, I'm under stress both at work and home, I've lowered my dose of antidepressants so I'm feeling generally down, etc etc

But tbh they're just excuses and not very good ones at that.

I really need someone to hold my hand, as I feel so alone at times, and it's so easy to turn to my old frenemy food. :cry:

I have no ideas on what I should do, my Dr won't refer me for therapy as I'm no longer suicidal:rolleyes:, and I can't afford £60 per session (not in the current financial climate anyway).

Unfortunately this means I also have no idea what you should do to get through this.

Sending you hugs, sympathy and prayers.

Poppy xx

Last edited:
Well firstly, I would hardly say that 101lbs is a failure, it's a fantastic achievement to date. You should be really proud of yourself. Secondly, I would imagine it is quite normal for weight loss to slow down over time: the lower your weight becomes over time as you lose, means you would have to work that much harder to maintain losses of 8 - 9 lbs a month. So, putting things into perspective, 6 - 8 lbs a month seems perfectly reasonable and in fact more realistic as your weight gets ever lower. Now, you admit you are beginning to make bad food choices here and there, and you also realise this is impacting on your weight loss success. This in itself is good as you are aware of it, so you know what you can do to reverse that. What about stepping up your exercise regime, or if you aren't doing anything regularly, you could consider trying to incorparate some enjoyable regular exercise activities into your week, which would of course help. Finally, I know we all have our own opinions on what we consider is the best way to eat post-op...some feel they can never risk eating 'naughty' foods so avoid them completely, others like me, feel that a little bit of what you fancy (occasionally & in strict moderation of course) won't hurt at all. I think you have done brilliantly, so try not to beat yourself up with your recent progress, but think about what you can do to get yourself back on track xxxx

Honey you are NOT FAILING........ you are doing great, when was the last time you lost 101lbs and maintained it?? Keep plodding on making Good choices, Protein first, then veg, carbs if room, get in 1-2ltrs of fluid a day and keep enjoying the ride.......

Poppy you've just told us that you are being a normal human being and have still lost 101lbs since March? Get your butt down to weight watchers and stand in front of the meeting and tell everyone there how 'bad' you are doing!

Seriously i have lost 51lbs since June 10th (this includes 5lb on a week pre op) and now that is slow loser but it is still a loser.

An at goal friend of mine once told me that so long as we are eating what we should 'protein' wise then the odd biscuit is perfectly normal.

You could perhaps think of doing some exercise to help increase your fat burning? I've just signed up for a free 5 day pass at a DC Leisure gym, when this finishes i'm going to sign up with 'Pure Gym' which is just over the road from DC cos they only charge £16 a month as opposed to £34 at DC.... I'm hoping this will give me a valuable boost and help protect my muscles xx

You are doing really well Karma, you are definately not a failure. I agree with everyone else that you are loosing a good amount over a month. As you get further along the in the journey the losses do get slower and they always say slow and steady wins the race. Good luck with your appt and take care.

aww Thanks all for your lovely comments! :grouphugg:

Phatmomma I wish it was 101 since March but sadly it's only 55! 101 is from May last year! And you are doing well too.....only 4lbs behind me in fact and i had my op 3mths b4 you!

Poppycorn..you have done soo well...you have lost 120lbs or more That's amazing! and not far off goal either.......If you ever need a 'kick up the backside' buddy..(I know I do!!) maybe we could swap numbers etc so we can keep ourselves on the straight and narrow :)

Actually ...everyone on here are so great, I'm getting teary reading the comments, and how positive and kind you all are to me. Ok I will shake off the self pity robe and put the positive attitude one on (of course its now 4 dress sizes smaller ;) :D)

aww Thanks all for your lovely comments! :grouphugg:

Phatmomma I wish it was 101 since March but sadly it's only 55! 101 is from May last year! And you are doing well too.....only 4lbs behind me in fact and i had my op 3mths b4 you!

Poppycorn..you have done soo well...you have lost 120lbs or more That's amazing! and not far off goal either.......If you ever need a 'kick up the backside' buddy..(I know I do!!) maybe we could swap numbers etc so we can keep ourselves on the straight and narrow :)

Actually ...everyone on here are so great, I'm getting teary reading the comments, and how positive and kind you all are to me. Ok I will shake off the self pity robe and put the positive attitude one on (of course its now 4 dress sizes smaller ;) :D)

Karma are you exercising? What kind of things are you eating? I too am like you and not a dumper, makes this bypass business a bit harder when you can give into bad days...

excercise...hmmmm.. water aerobics once a week, and running after 3 yr old! :eek: I have my X trainer gathering dust in dining room at mo as i've been having problems with my right knee and hip for a couple of months...not a great excuse i know i could be walking etc :eek:

I will do a food diary i think to see exactly what i'm putting into my mouth each day!

Back