• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OK here we are LongtermersRus

It has started!

It is great everyone feels this should be for all, as is the forum. I don't think any of the people who were around when I was pre op and who had their surgeries at the same place I did post here but I have picked up that some are suffering with regain issues - it is probably one of if not the biggest issue with any WLS but there is so little out there about it. I am really pleased long termers with a wealth of knowledge are back and we should all benefit from sharing our experiences - good and bad. Seeing some of the issues people are going through and the difficulties I have experienced since my revision op have given me real food for thought and I don't mind admitting has made me frightened about the future. At least there is a place to express those fears and get some reassurance and encouragment. Thanks all:).

TB x

It has started! It is great everyone feels this should be for all, as is the forum. I don't think any of the people who were around when I was pre op and who had their surgeries at the same place I did post here but I have picked up that some are suffering with regain issues - it is probably one of if not the biggest issue with any WLS but there is so little out there about it. I am really pleased long termers with a wealth of knowledge are back and we should all benefit from sharing our experiences - good and bad. Seeing some of the issues people are going through and the difficulties I have experienced since my revision op have given me real food for thought and I don't mind admitting has made me frightened about the future. At least there is a place to express those fears and get some reassurance and encouragment. Thanks all:). TB x

Tranquil,
Don't be frightened x
Now we have a place to come and support each other..after all WE are the experts in some way,we have go live with these replumbed bodies x :)

Well hello all quiet on here today how has everyones health been. Awful subject yet again bout bowel and their movements. I had a few bad days last week not being able to go without help then had couple of days all ok then last 3 days woahhhhh been storing it up. Embarassing had to go at work would not flush away had to have 4 separate attempts finaly get home this evening and been again just as bad. lol that's me full of s****. No pain as such though but feeling little bruised no piles though that's the one good thing. Not be going again for a few dyas no doubt lol. Anyone else suffer these issues, also have had very bad smelly flatulence, luckily I just blame our clients who are mostly boys so get away with it mostly but need to be care ful. oh the joys x

I think there is honestly no-one here from when I started but Nic (Phatgirl is now around and I am ecstatic to see her)

Long term lets just look at today for me as an example. Up at 5 am - yes really its my job - I'm engaged to a demanding career so up at the crack of dawn. Downstairs I go get my breakfast. OK what is that? I'm 6 years out, yes I am below ideal weight (138lbs) so obviously no problems ..right??? NO, NO, NO. Why is that? The truth is I have had non WLS related problems and they affect my eating. A million questions occur. Is this wonderful bearing in mind I usually suffer all the time from regain. Is this to be seen as a solution? On one hand maybe - on the other what essential things am I not getting? This is the dilemma we face. My own position its a negative. I lost weight like it was going out of fashion last year. Not a WLS reason and now beggar me if I can regain it.

Do i think well good news? Do I worry? Well who the devil tells me? Ask "my team" ..if only there was one. Everyone knows from reading my signature my surgery was one by Mr WLS. I have no criticism he did a good job I got what I paid for a Bypass. Follow up…forget it (promised ..never happened). Am I sad? Well in a way but essentially not really. Yes I'm almost 6 years out but really thats a life in WLS world. Today I see all sorts of mentions to MDTs. Well who the hell are they may I say? Never heard of them when I booked my op. Saw the surgeon for 20 minutes had the op 2 months later with no other contact. YES just 5 years ago. So do you now realise just how WLS s evolving.

Do you feel this is the way it should have evolved? Should there be more hoops to go through before the holy grail of an op is reached?

I know what I think, but lets get talking what do you think??

Took me 2 yrs with NHS to get my op and while I thought it was a long drawn out process I needed it to work through my thoughts and be certain its what I wanted. xxx

No I think the hoops are just right. THe real issue is the stupidly shortsighted lack of patient support psychologically when post op. The lack of group support from my hospital etc.

I think there is honestly no-one here from when I started but Nic (Phatgirl is now around and I am ecstatic to see her) Long term lets just look at today for me as an example. Up at 5 am - yes really its my job - I'm engaged to a demanding career so up at the crack of dawn. Downstairs I go get my breakfast. OK what is that? I'm 6 years out, yes I am below ideal weight (138lbs) so obviously no problems ..right??? NO, NO, NO. Why is that? The truth is I have had non WLS related problems and they affect my eating. A million questions occur. Is this wonderful bearing in mind I usually suffer all the time from regain. Is this to be seen as a solution? On one hand maybe - on the other what essential things am I not getting? This is the dilemma we face. My own position its a negative. I lost weight like it was going out of fashion last year. Not a WLS reason and now beggar me if I can regain it. Do i think well good news? Do I worry? Well who the devil tells me? Ask "my team" ..if only there was one. Everyone knows from reading my signature my surgery was one by Mr WLS. I have no criticism he did a good job I got what I paid for a Bypass. Follow up...forget it (promised ..never happened). Am I sad? Well in a way but essentially not really. Yes I'm almost 6 years out but really thats a life in WLS world. Today I see all sorts of mentions to MDTs. Well who the hell are they may I say? Never heard of them when I booked my op. Saw the surgeon for 20 minutes had the op 2 months later with no other contact. YES just 5 years ago. So do you now realise just how WLS s evolving. Do you feel this is the way it should have evolved? Should there be more hoops to go through before the holy grail of an op is reached? I know what I think, but lets get talking what do you think??

I was quite shocked to see phatgirl post a reply to me..lovely to hear from her..
I think the aftercare should be looked into...there's all these appointments with nurses/docs/consultants/mental/dieticans beforehand...where are they afterwards?
It seems like we are just "left to get on with it" after surgery.

Well hello all quiet on here today how has everyones health been. Awful subject yet again bout bowel and their movements. I had a few bad days last week not being able to go without help then had couple of days all ok then last 3 days woahhhhh been storing it up. Embarassing had to go at work would not flush away had to have 4 separate attempts finaly get home this evening and been again just as bad. lol that's me full of s****. No pain as such though but feeling little bruised no piles though that's the one good thing. Not be going again for a few dyas no doubt lol. Anyone else suffer these issues, also have had very bad smelly flatulence, luckily I just blame our clients who are mostly boys so get away with it mostly but need to be care ful. oh the joys x

Chrisa
Smells and flatulence is normality now,I can't be lady like anymore and at times it's embarrassing in front of my family.
But if it's not released...it's not worth the wind pains.
:)

Yes I still have flatulence daily but today has been extreme well last few days actually, just have to keep moving spreading it round as I go lol why should I suffer myself???? I like to share its good to share lol xx I defo agree we should have more after care. I was supposed to have a 6 week check and a 6 months check I had one about 10 montha nd the 2nd was my last at just before my 2 year post opiversary. Where was the after care there quick way and bloods 2 mins with doc that said he was happy wioth weightloss was I ok n that was it shook my hand and I had to leave was in te hospital for bout 1 hr waiting for 55minutes in all 5 minutes to do the jobs n that was my after care lol all done. My gp knows very little ebout bariatrics yet I have been to several nurses for my B12 jab and 2 of them have actually done some thesis on bariatrics and B12 jabs. Think they more knowledgeable than docs in these instances. xx

Yes I still have flatulence daily but today has been extreme well last few days actually, just have to keep moving spreading it round as I go lol why should I suffer myself???? I like to share its good to share lol xx I defo agree we should have more after care. I was supposed to have a 6 week check and a 6 months check I had one about 10 montha nd the 2nd was my last at just before my 2 year post opiversary. Where was the after care there quick way and bloods 2 mins with doc that said he was happy wioth weightloss was I ok n that was it shook my hand and I had to leave was in te hospital for bout 1 hr waiting for 55minutes in all 5 minutes to do the jobs n that was my after care lol all done. My gp knows very little ebout bariatrics yet I have been to several nurses for my B12 jab and 2 of them have actually done some thesis on bariatrics and B12 jabs. Think they more knowledgeable than docs in these instances. xx

Haha..it's good to share
My gp knows nothing about baratrics to be honest...I agree nurses do seem a bit more clued up,as I get more info from them when I go for my B12 injection.
I was just saying on other post I feel like ***** today...was ok day after the iron infusion,now I don't feel too clever and have had to come and rest in bed :-(

Haha..it's good to share
My gp knows nothing about baratrics to be honest...(

My Gp (a late 40's lady) admitted to me that I was the only person she knew who had had WLS -and I had to explain to her what a sleeve was!!!!

My Gp (a late 40's lady) admitted to me that I was the only person she knew who had had WLS -and I had to explain to her what a sleeve was!!!!

That happened to me,I thought it was shocking I was explaining what my bypass was..and even more shocking when the doctor asked me "can you get it removed"!!!

I have to say I have been very lucky. My gp is clued up and motivated to help me and my team have always been supportive.

Can I just join in with the wind problem, when I had my first appointment they were talking about wind, well I have some like every one does, but these last two days my old tummy haven't stopped rumbling and grumbling and it's so loud and the wind I didn't know I had so many bits that flapped around in the wind. The sound is awful and as for the smell well even I had to leave the room it's vile. I've not changed anything I've eaten or not eaten. Anyone got any solutions, anyone who has seen my posts know I'm a great advocator of peppermint oil but even this has not calmed it down. I and blame the dog, she looks at me in disgust and moves away. Please tell me this is not long term :(

I have the same issues 3 1/2 years post almost. Some days are worse than others but it is vile. I am just thankful there is no pain with it. Well if it offends us and its ours what must others think lol xx

I fully understand ladies, well only in that I wouldn't know who the hell to ask. Just wanted to share this I have never heard from my surgeon after surgery other than once when I chased the hell out of his office for my 3 month appointment (which should have been at 6 weeks.) It happened after 4 months after 8 chases from me. We won't go into the absolute debacle it was, just to say he thought I had come for a band fill!!

So I come back post on here this week and suddenly I receive a very long letter from his office saying so sorry aftercare not gone as planned (great deal more sucking up) could they offer me XYZ at no charge? Haven't heard a peep for over 5 years and now this??????????

I really do not want it. Can I cope alone? Who knows but for over 5 years I have had to. My only recourse has been internet research and the way my cousins, who are all surgeons (OK not WLS Surgeons) can get me advice many can't access. Why is this? WLS is complex life threatening and yes potentially life saving/enhancing surgery it should have as a priority a complete follow up system as well as an excellent pre-surgery screening for both NHS and private patients

Lets hope that as WLS goes forward this is the rule not the exception

CCPM, as much as I know you must be angry and I completely understand why you don't want to go back, put your health first - use them as a resource.

Yvessa - you are right but I am not angry at all. 2 years out OK maybe I was but sadly I learned that whatever I did nothing was going to change. I contacted my provider (I will not call them my team - I only ever heard from my surgeon and then rarely) and NOTHING.

Was that OK? really no...but for my sins I actually am a primary care academic and have been for over 20 years. I undertake primary care research....SO WHAT YOU ASK? Well naff all really, but it does mean I know where to go to find information and good information at that. I did not find what I asked about 90% of the time. Problem? For me ...NO. It meant research needed to be done. For others ...well it is a black hole, the "teams" out there say look it up, get informed/we will provide it. Now over 8 years since I started my research most providers say they have a MDT.

Fine, look up peer reviewed articles (they are the gold standard in any form of top level academic research) These exist but the amount compared to other clinical disciplines is minimal. Ask a clinical academic why, they will tell you in short sharp terms there is not enough empirical evidence.

I don't want to get into that. My experience as has many others shown there are gaps in the evidence.

It is not difficult, all we need are real life stories, we can soon gather evidence from them. Let me encourage you to this. 5 years ago I was minding my own business, thinking (not for the first time) I would retire. 2 of my GP partners were Police Surgeons so I got drawn in to a project regarding domestic violence. My role, manage the project, type reports. Dd that, typed reports. 6 weeks later escalated various concerns noted by trained volunteers which resulted in project redesign and new (successful) bid for 4 times original funding

Last edited:
Yvessa - you are right but I am not angry at all. 2 years out OK maybe I was but sadly I learned that whatever I did nothing was going to change. I contacted my provider (I will not call them my team - I only ever heard from my surgeon and then rarely) and NOTHING. Was that OK? really no...but for my sins I actually am a primary care academic and have been for over 20 years. I undertake primary care research....SO WHAT YOU ASK? Well naff all really, but it does mean I know where to go to find information and good information at that. I did not find what I asked about 90% of the time. Problem? For me ...NO. It meant research needed to be done. For others ...well it is a black hole, the "teams" out there say look it up, get informed/we will provide it. Now over 8 years since I started my research most providers say they have a MDT. Fine, look up peer reviewed articles (they are the gold standard in any form of top level academic research) These exist but the amount compared to other clinical disciplines is minimal. Ask a clinical academic why, they will tell you in short sharp terms there is not enough empirical evidence. I don't want to get into that. My experience as has many others shown there are gaps in the evidence. It is not difficult, all we need are real life stories, we can soon gather evidence from them. Let me encourage you to this. 5 years ago I was minding my own business, thinking (not for the first time) I would retire. 2 of my GP partners were Police Surgeons so I got drawn in to a project regarding domestic violence. My role, manage the project, type reports. Dd that, typed reports. 6 weeks later escalated various concerns noted by trained volunteers which resulted in project redesign and new (successful) bid for 4 times original funding

CCPM..didn't realise you was in primary care...that's why you have so much knowledge(hope you do to mind me saying that).
It's a bit sad we are left to do our own research,as mentioned earlier visiting my local gp or local hospital I know I'm going to be at a loss...they'll have very limited info or none at all and won't be able to help me.
If at anytime an emergency arises I've told my family they MUST make sure they take me or whoever to Salford university hospital(this is where I had my op done and it's got its baratric dept here)
I've also wondered are medical staff trained to look for I.D on a patient in an emergency,as for quite a while now Im wondering if I should have gotten a medical bracelet with my info on it.
As for your "provider" CCPM just take up the offer up of the aftercare,to use it as a health check.

Back