• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will i be able to go on holiday?

novamay

Born Free
Hopefully I'm having my op by the end Jan-mid Feb 2013. We've booked a holiday - just a week away to Spain - for 1st week in May, will I be ok to fly by then?

I went on holiday, 4 hour flight 10 weeks post op. I would check with your provider but my guess is that you will be fine.

I did get a special holiday insurance though, which covered complications with the bypass, think it cost £35 and that covered my little boy too.
Xx

Yes you should be ok, check with your provider as Clar said to be sure but I don't see a problem with it. Just make sure you get that insurance cover, mine was £40 with insurance and go, when I went and they had a section for gastric bypass to make sure you are covered but I was fine x

I´m on holiday at the moment and havent got insurance for my band as my annual trip insurance classes it as cosmetic. But fingers crossed all will be ok.

I´m finding it quite complicated with the diet that I am now on to order in restaurants and we are also camping and cooking in groups, though thankfully others in the group have watched me go without more than a few meals as I cannot eat them so they are being a bit more inclusive now.

I brought protein shake powder with me and a few other staples and thank heavens for long life milk. Its been a life saver.

I find people stare when eating really slowly and in such small portions, its really alien to them

You will be fine. I went to Turkey 8 weeks after my bypass and had no problems at all xx

I went to Spain 5wks 3days post op, I'd managed with my dietitians support to be on solids by 4wks post bypass. I took protein powders with me & some protein bars to nibble at if I couldn't eat out easily. I had low fat & low sugar yoghurts used soya milk with the protein powders to make shakes. With a little planning etc you can manage. I struggled with the pork in tomato in the bars as it wasn't cooked soft enough, I asked for hue is revolutos (scrambled eggs one night it came with lots of little bits of bacon & mushrooms in it & was delicious. Chicken & pork nibbled slowly are good to. I take a plastic sandwich box with me wherever I go here or in Spain & pop my leftovers in it to nibble on later. Or ask for a platos para uno with tapas as even that is adequate to share for two with the limited amount we can eat. Croquettas are great to not like our British mashed spuds in breadcrumbs but a bechamel sauce with cheese & ham or tuna in breadcrumbs, fried admittedly but large or small they melt in the mouth & are really tasty. At the early stages its protein count not calories as such that are the main goal.
Our holiday was in the mountains 2hrs north west of alicante with few English speakers so like you I was worried as I didn't want to spoil my families holiday but we managed beautifully with very few rejection issues between my pouch & the food.
Either way have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks all. I've not thought about insurance - we get the standard one when we book through the agent and I have to declare the diabetes but usually no additional charge for that. Will see whether TCs insurance covers bariatrics. We've gone all inclusive this time too as last year we went half board and ran out of money (OH's fault - he wanted to do an extra trip) so were left with one coke between us on an evening for the last couple of nights - soooo embarrassing!

Back