• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do you stay positive when things are really hard for you.

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all was was just wondering how u all stay positive when things get tough and get you down.
I know i am lucky and will be having surgery some time mid Feb (hoping for a date this week, was meant to be mid Jan but because of bed shortages been put back by 4 weeks) but things seem to be getting harder physically for me week by week, and am practically housebound and although i know i will be having surgery i am just struggling big time to try and stay positive.

On the 13th Dec i am starting on my pre op diet for 8 weeks :eek: yes i know its double the normal time and the reason is that they are doing this is that if a cancellation does come up mid jan then i would of been on the pre op for 4 weeks and could take the cancellation.
I am worried bout managing for 8 weeks on the pre op as i am so down at the mo am scared i will mess things up.
Any ideas or tips that have helped you through some hard times whilst waiting for your surgery.
Thanks and take care luv Roch xx

Chat to me for two and a half hours until your phone is so hot it might explode?!?!? No!?!?

You have to stay positive and focus Rochelle. I know its all poo for you at the moment but you are much further on than other people who dont have funding etc and who are also struggling. We are talking 12 weeks or most probably less which in the great scheme of life is not long. I know I wasnt as badly off as you were but I just put it to the back of my mind cause otherwise I would have gone bonkers. Find something to do thats totally unrelated to surgery or weightloss - sounds silly but maybe something like knitting or crochet or embroidery or painting - something you can do from the comfort of your armchair. Failing that, I shall make it my business to buy you the most difficult 3D jigsaw puzzle I can find! You will have to lock the woofles in the crate or they will destroy it! Hang in there - you've broken the back of it now and are on the home stretch.

And you can call Bonnie Scotland too just to ensure phone meltdown lol. Seriously you are one strong lady and i know how difficult things are for you. You have come this far and as Caroline says you have broken the back of it, i'm very proud of you and the way you cope so hang in there once Santa has been and gone time will fly in and you will getting a visitor from north of the border to talk the ears off you hee hee, big hugs full of love from me to you xxx

Are you still planning to do CD for your pre-op? That seems a long time to be on such a boring diet. Could you not do a v low cal diet with normal-ish foods? That might help to relieve some of the boredom by giving you something to plan. Just a thought. If you want a copy of the diet sheet I used just PM me your email address.

John xx

Roch you have had it tougher than most with the pain you have had to cope with pre - op. As others said though, you are on the home straight now.

When things are tough for me, I cope by keeping busy. I realise that might be a bit more tricky for you, being housebound, but anything you can do to keep you occupied means you are not thinking about WLS or what you have to look forward to on the pre-op diet.

Fingers crossed that you get a cancellation so you can join us on this losers bench sooner rather than later xx

Thanks guys for ur post, am having a very bad few days hence posting this thread.
I was pinning some hope on my pain management app today and was really hoping to get some help pain wise, but unfortunately that is not the case/

Ok i am now officially ready for the knackers yard and there is nothing at all the pain management clinic can do for me.
They say my "oxycontin" is 1.5 times more stronger than morphine and as i am able to get rid of the pain by 50/60 % i should be happy with that as that is good.
There are stronger drugs for pain but because of my sleep apnoea if i am given them there is a chance i wont wake up !!

The reason why i slur my words and am tired and forget things is the high dose of the meds and i am just going to have to put up with this pain till hopefully 5/6 stone goes then fingers crossed the pain will start easing up also the weight is causing my posture to be bad and that is adding more pain to my shoulders and neck.
So i am officially f***ked !!!!!! and have cried most of today.

I start my pre op in 12 days time but not doing CD as will be on it for 8 weeks so just doing low carb but in the frame of mind i am in now not sure if i will cope, am just hoping that in 12 days time will have a date even for mid Feb which will be the latest time for my op and that alone am hoping will help me stay on track.
Soz for the swearing but things are so hard just feel like giving up wanting this surgery i know i wont as in my case this is def a life and death surgery for me i need this surgery desperately but am just finding things so hard, i am tearful all the time and this might be due to the meds as have been like this for a few months and i just want things to get better x

Roch as someone else said your a real tough cookie... you have intense pain every day which seems to be all you have to look forward too. So i'm thinking lets paint a picture of your future or how it could turn out..........

Aaron (that is your beautiful son right?) he's just coming into manhood, he is going to meet someone who one day he will settle down with and you are going to be a beautiful mother of the groom.... Imagine the beautiful grand babys that Aaron will give you in the future, the joys of taking them to the park and chasing them around with a football?

After the success of your surgery you will lose the weight that is a blight on your life and your quality of life will improve so much, your nearly at the end of the ride now, belt up tight and hold on for a little bit longer hun cos your gonna get the rush of your life xxx

Thanks guys for ur post, am having a very bad few days hence posting this thread.
I was pinning some hope on my pain management app today and was really hoping to get some help pain wise, but unfortunately that is not the case/

Ok i am now officially ready for the knackers yard and there is nothing at all the pain management clinic can do for me.
They say my "oxycontin" is 1.5 times more stronger than morphine and as i am able to get rid of the pain by 50/60 % i should be happy with that as that is good.
There are stronger drugs for pain but because of my sleep apnoea if i am given them there is a chance i wont wake up !!

The reason why i slur my words and am tired and forget things is the high dose of the meds and i am just going to have to put up with this pain till hopefully 5/6 stone goes then fingers crossed the pain will start easing up also the weight is causing my posture to be bad and that is adding more pain to my shoulders and neck.
So i am officially f***ked !!!!!! and have cried most of today.

I start my pre op in 12 days time but not doing CD as will be on it for 8 weeks so just doing low carb but in the frame of mind i am in now not sure if i will cope, am just hoping that in 12 days time will have a date even for mid Feb which will be the latest time for my op and that alone am hoping will help me stay on track.
Soz for the swearing but things are so hard just feel like giving up wanting this surgery i know i wont as in my case this is def a life and death surgery for me i need this surgery desperately but am just finding things so hard, i am tearful all the time and this might be due to the meds as have been like this for a few months and i just want things to get better x

Hiya Roch, i cannot imagine how hard it must be for you and the only advice i can offer is what works for me. Focus on this day and time and tell yourself what ever happens it cannot get anyworse than it is today. You will be starting your pre-op soon so the weight will be going down every day and your body will be feeling a little bit better everyday. Every new day is a day closer to that operation. Hope this helps my thoughts are with you and remember you are not alone. Janey;););)

Back