• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

will I be declined???

pinkprincess77

Hi im jjust wondering if anyone could help. When I started with weight management with the nhs I weighed 18 stone 6 I've gone through all the process and im get towards getting a date for a gastric sleeve. My worry is I now weigh 15 stones exactly and I'm 5ft 3 so my bmi is about 37. im scared that when it come to it that I'm no longer eligible for surgery. Does anyone think the same? Please help

Hiya. I'm not too sure.. I did ask my gp
This question though when I started the process as my bmi was just over 40 and I would have been under with some weight loss. I am bmi 39 now and according to my consultant I need to look another kilo and half to reach my goal so it will be less. I think you will be ok. And my gp said it should be ok too. X

Thanks for replying it's just that ive come so far but really want the sleeve doing because I always end up putting the weight back on x

Fingers crossed u'll be ok. I'm not too sure where the weight loss goal
Starts from? Some say it's from first gp? Some say from first weight management programme? Some say from seminar? But either way it's a weight that is still going to have negative impacts health wise so u should be ok. Although I did hear of a lady on a forum who put heavy stuff in her pockets to make sure she weighed just over ;) you have to lose something like 5per cent before u can have the surgery so u'r on the right tracks. Maybe take ur weight management record with u where it says ur initial
Weight so thy know that's where u started. Good luck xxx

They've got my weight loss record anyway but my worry is that I've gone past the initial weight loss precentage they set me. I dont want them saying well you've got this far on your own just carry on. I've wanted to lose as much as possible pre oo to reduce my chances of complications. I've lost 3 stones already but according to what they told me ive still got to lose another 6 stones to get to a idea bmi. I think i may have to do the items in my pocket trick lol especially after the pre op diet x

can you not contact your provider direct or the dietiation and see where you stand? I was asked to loose 5% which I managed for Jan and when I seen the dietian I had lost more than required so she did ask me to maintain until my op date and try not to loose to muchas my bmi was then 39. xx

Hi my bmi is 37.5 I've got an appointment with the bariatric nurse and dietician on 7th march I will have to ask then. If it means me putting a little back on then so be it I'm sure I will have no difficulty at all I only need ti sniff food and my weight goed up lol x

I went private as my NHS wouldn't consider me as my initial BMI was only 41. When I had surgery it was 37. I know comments in the past were saying it went on weight at referral.
What are you having done? Or at least hoping for? I know bypass is normally saved for larger bmi's and some providers may suggest a band or sleeve maybe?

I'm wanting the gastric sleeve my bmi was 46 when I first met my weight management consultant but who its 37.5 but my weight as been overing in the 15's for the last 6 months it just wont go down any more but I know how easily my weight can increase. X

Nope I don't think you will be denied, well they don't at my hospital. When I had my bypass I asked the bariatric nurse why no one else was in at the same time and she said "the lady in the bed next to you has just had her bypass" what a shocker that was to me because she looked 13 stone MAX.

If I'm really honest she looked as if she was JUST in the overweight category but maybe her fat was on the inside so she was actually heavier. Our bariatric nurse told me she lost a lot of weight before the op and on her milk diet and they were shocked also at how tiny she was but gave her it anyway. Her husband was also in having his bypass but he was bigger still.

Good luck

Thanks for replying carebear1. I hope thry dont decline me ive waited so long to get thid far and ive worked really hard to get where I am right now. Fingers and toes crossed. Lynsey x

Nope I don't think you will be denied, well they don't at my hospital. When I had my bypass I asked the bariatric nurse why no one else was in at the same time and she said "the lady in the bed next to you has just had her bypass" what a shocker that was to me because she looked 13 stone MAX.

If I'm really honest she looked as if she was JUST in the overweight category but maybe her fat was on the inside so she was actually heavier. Our bariatric nurse told me she lost a lot of weight before the op and on her milk diet and they were shocked also at how tiny she was but gave her it anyway. Her husband was also in having his bypass but he was bigger still.

Good luck

Blimey - I wonder why they give it to someone so light/just in the overweight category? Surely there is a risk of them becoming underweight? :confused:

Maybe it's because they were really over weight before. As in the BMI 40 plus but with the long waiting list and pre
Op diet managed to lose a few stones. But when they stop this restrictive diet they will put it on again. Or the patient could have been a sleever/ band being converted. I've done the Cambridge diet before which is a milk diet type thing and within a few weeks ur face looks gaunt but eat properly one day and u look bloated again. Xxx

Hi elmo10 that how I've lost 3 stones with a cambridge style diet and very try as soon as you stop the weight creeps back on. I know alot of people who have done these diets and have put it back on and more. I suppose the experience will help when it comes to the pre op diet. X

I had the same worry. My BMI was 38/39 on my surgery date. Before I hit below 40, I asked my weight management team, and they said the more I can lose, the better for my op.

I lost around 6st pre op.

The anaesthetist on the day of my surgery said I was not an anaesthetic risk, because I had the neck and shoulders of a slim person :D So that doubly confirmed to me I had done the right thing x

Yeah I think it defo helps to lose weight before hand as much as u can. So don't let that put u off. If anyone does query it just explain. I once lost 6 stones on Cambridge diet so I know I can restrict and lose weight. I wish someone had put a gastric sleeve in then to help me afterwards because before I knew it it was all back on again ?

My boyfriend is against me having the sleeve done because he's seen that I've lost weight using the Cambridge style diet but my point is I can not do that for the rest of my life. X

I did it on Exante. Lost good weight. My bf saw what happened when I came off it. It increased my gallstones and ended up in hospital for the night. He didn't want me to have surgery. But once he kept seeing me struggling, supported me 100%

And now he is so proud of me. Even more than he was before. And thinks its the best thing I ever did for myself. I agree :) xxx

Back