• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will I even stand a chance???

michee

Hello all
I am hoping to have wls at Sunderland, only very early in my journey and I'm not even sure I will qualify. My bmi is 40.2 at present I'm not hypertensive, no high cholesterol, no sleep apnoea. I do have problems with my blood sugars but I'm not officially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Does anyone think I even stand a chance of getting funding?
Thanx in advance xx

los in it

I wish I could give you the answer you want but I cant all you can do is be truthful about your situation and what WLS means to you alongside any other health issues
very good luck

michee

Thank you :)
I think I should just stop getting my knickers in a twist lol
Just sick of always dieting and being hungry ( I think I was about 7 when I was first put on a diet!) Ok rant over!! Note to self stop moaning!!!!!

janet_hi

Hi and welcome to a very informative site and I'm sure there is people from your area on here!

Depending on the criteria in your area some are doing it to people over BMI 35 as to prevent getting diabetes etc

If you look on NHS web site for weight loss criteria and see what it says there! But I would go to your GP and ask to be referred you are over 40BMi so you should get referred under the guidelines. Hope that helps good luck with your journey. Keep us updated

Joanne79

Hello all
I am hoping to have wls at Sunderland, only very early in my journey and I'm not even sure I will qualify. My bmi is 40.2 at present I'm not hypertensive, no high cholesterol, no sleep apnoea. I do have problems with my blood sugars but I'm not officially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Does anyone think I even stand a chance of getting funding?
Thanx in advance xx

My surgery was a while ago, and with a different NHS trust, and although my BMI was higher than yours, I had not other co-morbidities other tahn pre-diabetes. Each case is reviewed on it's own merits. Guidelines are exactly that - a guide. There is no one-size-fits-all template for this kind of surgery.

Good luck!

michee

Thank you Joanne 79
I am going to think positively and stop getting down in the dumps over this!!! I haven't even been for my first appointment yet and I'm stressing already xx

Debs!

For what it is worth my BMI was just aroun 40-41 when I was referred.

I did not have sleep apnoe - I did have high blood pressure - but it was controlled they said with tablets.

They explained my PCOS, Fibromyalgia and Insulin resistance are not classed as co morbidities for WLS - but on BMI alone said I did not need co-morbidities - but I would need to follow the full tier 3 program - which for me was 2 years but could be only 1 year for others.

I had my op on the 10th June. My BMI was 38 by the time I had the op due to the pre op diet - so don't lose heart - you never know :D

Last edited:

Flickalicious

Bit of a weirdy! XD
Hey, keep positive - you never know!

I had a BMI of 53 when I started on tier 3, after a year and a half of doing it I was denied surgery. My doctor appealed on my behalf and I was later offered the bypass.
Other than PCOS and high BMI I had nothing 'wrong' with me. I was actually quite healthy.

20 months, over 12 stone down and a baby later I'm on track and loving life.

Keep fighting hun, you deserve happiness! xXx

Loz1980

I too am at the start I have just been referred , I think it's perfectly normal to have these concerns , I know I am having the same ones . X

Foxy789

I do have co morbiditys , and bmi 43 I'm still having to do the 12 month tier 3 I'm worried that when I'm done they will still say no, I think it's just a worry, I have everything crossed tho x

michee

Good luck ladies I'm sure we will all be fine!!!!!
Where is everyone hoping to have their surgeries??????
And what proceedures?????

Xxxx