• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will I Ever enjoy food again?

I have found that once I began solid food I began to enjoy my food again as long as stop when I feel I have had enough. I feel sorry for you Emma Louise I felt like that when I had my band but since my conversion to bypass I am so much better.I too found stress caused problems with the band however so far with my bypass its been fine. Long may it continue

Same here, Lyturt. Once I was back on solids, I started to enjoy food again and I am now enjoying a greater variety of food, and even starting to enjoy fruit, which I really struggled with Pre-Op. Yes,you will enjoy food again, and you might even try new food that you haven't had before. Just because you won't enjoy the same quantities, you will still enjoy the flavours.

Oh yes! Probably even more so that before because no "enjoying" doesn't mean eating everything in sight! I hated the puree stage and was literally disgusted by it by the end of my 4 weeks but needs must etc. Soft foods were even a revelation to start with........who knew softly scrambled eggs could be soooo good! lol.
Now, I enjoy my food so much even though there are still some things I can't really manage.....or can manage but feel like I've eaten a rock, so not worth it!

Bear with it, won't be long until your enjoying your munchies too. Good luck. x

I'm afraid I have to disagree with most on this topic. Before my bypass although overweight I used to love cooking and eating at nice restaurants and sitting round the table and have a nice family meal.
Now I eat because I know I have to. I don't enjoy food while I'm eating it and more often than not I fear it in the run up to it because depending on the day I just don't know how my body's going to react.
Eating out is a nightmare the menus are hardly made for bypassers and taking an hour to eat and being alone when everyone else is finished has really killed the social aspect of eating.
Yes I've lost 8 stone 6 months out and feel fitter but now a lot of the tine I feel quite sad and very alone about the whole food thing.

Thanks for all your replies - I will wait and see what happens, but I hope I'm with the majority and get to enjoy food again. So far, the only thing that I can honestly say was nice, was cereal. Everything else tastes so weird/ not nice that I don't even want to try them again. Am looking forward to a good salad but not sure when I can try that ( will have to check my dietary info).

It's nice when you can start to really enjoy flavours, I love dips / sauces and savour the taste. I can eat anything now. Feel sorry for the lady who struggles as that must be so hard. I had my op in feb 13.
I enjoy BBQ food, steak meat etc. try to limit pasta and rice as much as poss. And living fruit again!

I'm afraid I have to disagree with most on this topic. Before my bypass although overweight I used to love cooking and eating at nice restaurants and sitting round the table and have a nice family meal.
Now I eat because I know I have to. I don't enjoy food while I'm eating it and more often than not I fear it in the run up to it because depending on the day I just don't know how my body's going to react.
Eating out is a nightmare the menus are hardly made for bypassers and taking an hour to eat and being alone when everyone else is finished has really killed the social aspect of eating.
Yes I've lost 8 stone 6 months out and feel fitter but now a lot of the tine I feel quite sad and very alone about the whole food thing.

Your not on your own did you read my post?
I too am quite limited to what I can eat,plus my restriction is like a toddler plate!
And like you say everyday is quite different,some days I can dump on a food,and the next day I'm fine...it's just a game of hit and miss..
And I do not enjoy eating at all I will be honest about it,I know I've developed a fear of food now.
I'm just glad the majority of bypassers are not like me,and do enjoy eating.

As everyone has said you will definitely enjoy food again, especially the flavours. What you most likely won't enjoy is over eating. If I break the rules and eat too much for me or too fast I spend the next ten minutes with my head down the toilet. So a nice deterrent not to break the rules! I go out for dinner often, cook nice home cooked meals and even enjoy foods I couldn't stand pre op. Like pickle onions, beetroot, green peppers and tomatoes! I especially hated tomatoes but things have changed and they will for you too. Patience is the key :)

why oh why did you have to say PICKLED onions I have now been sniffing the jar for 15 mins!

As everyone has said you will definitely enjoy food again, especially the flavours. What you most likely won't enjoy is over eating. If I break the rules and eat too much for me or too fast I spend the next ten minutes with my head down the toilet. So a nice deterrent not to break the rules! I go out for dinner often, cook nice home cooked meals and even enjoy foods I couldn't stand pre op. Like pickle onions, beetroot, green peppers and tomatoes! I especially hated tomatoes but things have changed and they will for you too. Patience is the key :)

It's weird as I cannot eat anything pickled its hurts the ole pouch.

I am sniffing and dipped my spoon to lick the vinegar I think pickled onions would be the most missed thing ever for me.. even morning sickness was only taken away by the sniff of the juice lol

Just reading back over the posts its really sad that you don't enjoy food anymore almost like a breavment I would think:(

I have recently had a band and I have lost all sense of wanting to eat..the only thing I really enjoy is Sorbet...I keep having different soups etc and when cooked cant even stand the look of it

Isnt it sad that we got in this mess in the first place sometimes Im so angry at myself for getting so overweight :/

Still early days really, I'm only 10 weeks post op - I'm hoping from what others say it will get better, although If it doesn't I'll still be glad I had it
done :)

Sorry to hear you guys are feeling this way! I'm not doing too bad i prepped so much different food that there is always a different taste i can have! I don't feel hungry but when i hear the rumbles i think ok its time to eat! Stickin to my one cup portions so far on liquids. I just feel a bit lost with how many 'meals' i should have a day x x

Well...today one of the foods I've never had a problem with decided "it doesn't like me anymore"..I had it for lunch within 20 mins i was sick.
My foods are just getting so limited now,I can't keep up...one day a food is ok,the next not.

Does anyone else finds foods now are so limited?
I read on here people having a good variety of foods,and I just haven't.
It's a shame this doesn't reflect on my weight,you'd think I'd be skinny as hell,but afraid not.
My dietician says 2 stones and I'm just right..
It's getting me down to be honest as well as other issues with the tummy area x

I have spent my whole cruise discovering there is lots I can no longer eat. Being only eight weeks post op I'm hoping that will change over time. Scrambled egg, the dark meat of chicken & certain fish got stuck after two small forkfuls. No matter how well chewed I ended up with the "rabid dog phenomenon" Yet I was okay with the much denser lamb, beef and pork?? Anything with a slightly higher fat content had me sitting on the loo for hours.. My pork stir fry the night before ruined our trip in Funchal, Madeira as we spent it hunting loos! Whole fat milk is to be avoided at all costs too and only discovered half way through the cruise that my lattes where made with the stuff! Thought I was safe with bran flakes and also with granola. Nope :(. Sugar free mousse knocked me for six! Then there was our second night of the cruise where I honestly thought someone slipped me a Mickey Finn as I could not focus and couldn't keep my eyes open. I kept falling asleep mid conversation and felt "confused". Hubby had to lead me to our cabin, lie me down but can't remember getting from A-B but do remember saying to him that I would be fine in a bitty ...yeah right... I woke up 5hours later tucked up in bed with my clothes still on!

I have spent my whole cruise discovering there is lots I can no longer eat. Being only eight weeks post op I'm hoping that will change over time. Scrambled egg, the dark meat of chicken & certain fish got stuck after two small forkfuls. No matter how well chewed I ended up with the "rabid dog phenomenon" Yet I was okay with the much denser lamb, beef and pork?? Anything with a slightly higher fat content had me sitting on the loo for hours.. My pork stir fry the night before ruined our trip in Funchal, Madeira as we spent it hunting loos! Whole fat milk is to be avoided at all costs too and only discovered half way through the cruise that my lattes where made with the stuff! Thought I was safe with bran flakes and also with granola. Nope :(. Sugar free mousse knocked me for six! Then there was our second night of the cruise where I honestly thought someone slipped me a Mickey Finn as I could not focus and couldn't keep my eyes open. I kept falling asleep mid conversation and felt "confused". Hubby had to lead me to our cabin, lie me down but can't remember getting from A-B but do remember saying to him that I would be fine in a bitty ...yeah right... I woke up 5hours later tucked up in bed with my clothes still on!
Oh my gosh sorry to hear about your holiday :( I hope you find some things you can have soon x

Things I couldn't eat at the beginning I can eat now and vice versa. I had a bad holiday 8 weeks post op. with hindsight it was a stupid idea to go on holiday. I promise 1 year later my holiday was totally different. Foamed/vommed once or twice but not after every meal like last year!

Don't let it get you down x

Things I couldn't eat at the beginning I can eat now and vice versa. I had a bad holiday 8 weeks post op. with hindsight it was a stupid idea to go on holiday. I promise 1 year later my holiday was totally different. Foamed/vommed once or twice but not after every meal like last year!

Don't let it get you down x

I shouldn't let it get me down,but when the family are sat around the table this is the worse time.
And with the added problems I've got with my stomach its hard.
My family are e trembly supportive.but I do feel very alone and "different"

I loved reading this post, I'm just over four weeks post op and I'm being sick after every meal, nothing is staying down and I'm in pain, it's nice knowing it won't last forever.

Back