• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Willpower on the Gastric Band ??

GuRlyGiRL

Live Laugh Love
Me again...

Sorry my head is full of questions today...

I have ZERO willpower, which is why I am like I am today in this situation. My friends and family have said that my head has to be the right frame of mind once I have the op. I am worried because I don't have any willpower whats so ever. Some-one can offer me anything yummy and I cant resist it. I worry about having the band and what the outcome will be with food? Food is my worse enemy :(

Me again...

Sorry my head is full of questions today...

I have ZERO willpower, which is why I am like I am today in this situation. My friends and family have said that my head has to be the right frame of mind once I have the op. I am worried because I don't have any willpower whats so ever. Some-one can offer me anything yummy and I cant resist it. I worry about having the band and what the outcome will be with food? Food is my worse enemy :(

hello Hun

I wont lie to you , with the band u do have to have a tremendous amount of will power , once u have the band put in and until u hit the proper restriction it is alot to do with will power, I had too see a physiatrist to see where my head was at and also if I had a food disorder of any kind (I dont) If someone offers u something yummy there is no law stating that u cant have a little treat from time to time.

I find cutting out things altogether and not allowing urself to have the odd little treat now and again is putting added pressure on urself and could most likely to fail. I have found that the hard way when I did one of my many diets , I cut this and that out and alas it wasnt for me. Good Luck anyway - Julie xx

Food is not your enemy!! Food is just food!
You do have to have more will power with a band. Honestly I am terrible, my will power is awful and very feeble but having a band has helped me stick to a diet better. If you follow the rules of the band it will help you feel fuller on smaller portions but unfortunately you can cheat it pretty easily by nibbling little and often.
A band will not fix your food issues for you so you really need to get this dealt with as soon as possible or you may find you are very disappointed.
You can cheat with a bypass too although the consequences can be a little harsher...however just having any sort of wls and not trying hard to change your old bad habits is not going to work despite what you might hear in the press.
Bypasses can fail and so can bands.
If you go into it ready to take it as a chance to have a fresh start at treating your body well, feeding it healthy food and exercising then you will do great.
How I deal with my food addiction is I try and be sensible about food all week and then have one day to eat whatever I fancy. What you do most of the time is what matters...it will not prevent you from eating choc all day if you are determined to do so but having the operation is your chance to get back into control, deal with why you want to eat too much ..
what is it doing for you? Is it distracting you from something in life you aren't happy with?
You might have to dig into some deep issues but try and sort your head out before you go anywhere near the operating table.

Thanks Julie & Nina for your honest advice. I'm stuck in a vicious circle, being this weight and I've just carried on eating without saying to myself "enough is enough". I am an emotional eater, eat when I'm happy, sad, bored ..

I'm excited to have my band done because I eat the same portion sizes as my husband. When we eating he says he is full and I think I'm not I can carry on eating but I stop eating anyway so I dont look like a pig lol !!

if you have no will power with sweet foods then a band wont work and it will not stop you eating sweet sliders such as choc crisps ect, a band is perfect for savoury large portion eaters and will help to control that, wls is only a tool a aid to slimming and you will only get out of this what you put in and will power is required with banding 100% thats just my personal opinion regarding bands xxx

if you have no will power with sweet foods then a band wont work and it will not stop you eating sweet sliders such as choc crisps ect, a band is perfect fpr savoury large portion eaters and will help to control that, wls is only a tool a aid to slimming and you will only get out of this what you put in and will power is required with banding 100% thats just my personal opinion regarding bands xxx

Thank you for such great advice, you should be a wls consultant :) I am going to make this work because I am so fed up with failing in the past with diets.

Could I ask if you dont mind why you had 2 bands done and now having a bypass. What is the difference between the two ?

I was like that with portions as well but it is definately improved since having a decent fill level.
As we are not machines or perfect, will power does not last all the time and you will still have lapses.
As long as you don't dwell on them and make them worse by beating yourself up and feeling a failure you will be OK.
I am first to admit how bad my will power is but is does not make me less of a person or a failure...if you honestly do as much as you can to try each day and follow the band rules and pick yourself up after a fall off the wagon, then that's all anyone can ask of you.
You will find as you lose some of the weight that food is less attractive...your confidence improves and you feel like you are not so hopeless as you thought before.
You will find it so much easier to eat right when you have some restriction and will feel fuller longer so that helps a lot too.
I think most of us have been on enough diets to know the theory of will power but with every day life and stress it's not so simple to put into practice.
If there's anything I can do to help you with kicking the emotional eating I will as it is not a simple short process to heal the coping habits you have had for many years.
When you get enough posts I have a couple things I can pm you to help so don't feel you won't be able to do this because you may suprise yourself with how much you can achieve with the right help x

Thanks Julie & Nina for your honest advice. I'm stuck in a vicious circle, being this weight and I've just carried on eating without saying to myself "enough is enough". I am an emotional eater, eat when I'm happy, sad, bored ..

I'm excited to have my band done because I eat the same portion sizes as my husband. When we eating he says he is full and I think I'm not I can carry on eating but I stop eating anyway so I dont look like a pig lol !!
im only 3 weeks into my band, very new to the site, only joined a few days ago....so im knew to all this as well
i was like yourself, i would eat every hour of the day and night, food was my best friend, i debated on having a band for the last 5 yrs, and once my op was booked, i was cancled twice because i couldnt loose the pre op weight on my pre op diet....so i kicked myself into gear and thought 3rd time lucky, which it was
my band was fitted 1st sept, its not been all plain sailing for me as i have other health issues, and i was expecting too loose more weight but i was told 4 kilos in the first 3 weeks is ok...i was expecting myself to be slim overnight...silly me...
its taken alot of determination, but im finally getting their, i can now say no to food and im not binging like i was...i can push food away when i have the full feeling and i dont clear my plate just for the sake of it....
if you want your band to work, i think you have to be geared up...i wasnt and ive learned the hard way but i think from now on things can only get better...
good luck with your op
xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for such great advice, you should be a wls consultant :) I am going to make this work because I am so fed up with failing in the past with diets.

Good for you sweetheart banding can work very sucessfully for you if work with it, it did for me xx

Could I ask if you dont mind why you had 2 bands done and now having a bypass.
Of course you can ask, my 1st band i lost 7st 7llbs with, it was all going well until 3 & 1/2 years into it as the restriction just left me, i had a xray fill and they discovered the fill line was loose from the band end so every thing was removed and replaced, i regained some weight while waiting for the op, but i went on to lose a total of 8st 10llbs altogether with the 2nd band, Dec 1st last year i had plastic surgery on my upper tummy and while i was open i think the plastic surgeon damaged this band, this is now empty and yet again restriction has left me and this time ive regained 3st :( each time a band is removed it creates scars on thge tummy, i dont want a 3rd band i requested a bypass instead this will be happening Nov 5th i cant wait, this will give me the finality that i need and this will be my last surgery.
What is the difference between the two ?

Aband is a restrictive proceddure only, the bypass is both restrictive and malabsobtive (sp) no bowl re plumbing with a band x

Please dont let my story put you off, i was just unlucky that this happened to me twice x

JustLiz, im sorry to hear about your bands. You have done so well to loose your weight. Dont worry about the 3 stone, you have done it before so im sure you can loose it again :)

I was like that with portions as well but it is definately improved since having a decent fill level.
As we are not machines or perfect, will power does not last all the time and you will still have lapses.
As long as you don't dwell on them and make them worse by beating yourself up and feeling a failure you will be OK.
I am first to admit how bad my will power is but is does not make me less of a person or a failure...if you honestly do as much as you can to try each day and follow the band rules and pick yourself up after a fall off the wagon, then that's all anyone can ask of you.
You will find as you lose some of the weight that food is less attractive...your confidence improves and you feel like you are not so hopeless as you thought before.
You will find it so much easier to eat right when you have some restriction and will feel fuller longer so that helps a lot too.
I think most of us have been on enough diets to know the theory of will power but with every day life and stress it's not so simple to put into practice.
If there's anything I can do to help you with kicking the emotional eating I will as it is not a simple short process to heal the coping habits you have had for many years.
When you get enough posts I have a couple things I can pm you to help so don't feel you won't be able to do this because you may suprise yourself with how much you can achieve with the right help x

Wow Neen thank you for such sound advice, do you do this for a living :) How come you have to wait for more post to send me a PM? I know thats my problem I am my own worse enemy, always beating myself up. The thing is, its alot of money to not make it work too !! So I know my willpower will be there.

Hahaha wow small world, we must have passed each other walking around lakeside before :)

Hahaha wow small world, we must have passed each other walking around lakeside before :)

I am sure we prob did lol x

:D you 2 should meet up for a coffee and a natter x

Back