• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band and BMI +50?

florabell

Hello :D

I am planning to see a surgeon re: getting a band fitted. But in the meantime, whilst I wait for an appt, I hope someone can help me?

My BMI is 50ish and from my research, it seems most people in this bracket get the more severe operations done, i.e sleeve, bypass..

I have considered these and really want the band. I have been this weight for quite a few yrs now but I have lost a few stone, regained it, lost it again so kinda maintained I guess.

I feel like I need a good kickstart but I know I have the willpower reserves inside me, esp if I have the band it will be extra power iykwim..plus the cost of the op will keep me on the straight and narrow!

I do like the sweet stuff but I am able to restrict it if I need to, it's more the takeaways and cr*p like that, that gets me..

I am planning on private as I'm in N.I and the chances of getting it on the NHS here are practically nil..but do you think I will be able to get the band or will I be made to get something more extreme?

Any replies gratefully received..xx

Volume eaters tend to do the best with a band, usualy those with not as much to lose benefit too.

Its difficult to say because what might work for you or I will be different to others. Research all options, be honest about your eating habbits - then seek some medical advice on the best option.

Good luck xx

The best advice I can give u is b honest with your self when it comes to your eating habits I have a mate who has lost 9 stone with a band so large weightloss can be achieved but the band works best for those of us who eat large portions if u are a grazer u are unlikely too do well as little and often goes though the band quite nicely , hope this helps xx

I think you need to research, research, research, there's a reason why people with 50 + BMI's are more likely to have bypass or sleeve.
I would at one point in my life have said I lost I gained I lost I gained so I guess I maintained, but the truth is every time I lost it got harder to get the same results and every-time I gain it was with the addition of just a little bit more. I certainly didn't get to this stage by maintaining. I could also have said I can do without the sweet stuff, but then there's just that bit of chocolate, or it would be rude not to have that cake for someone's birthday. Think about it, your talking about a lifetime choice!

I think you need to research, research, research, there's a reason why people with 50 + BMI's are more likely to have bypass or sleeve.
I would at one point in my life have said I lost I gained I lost I gained so I guess I maintained, but the truth is every time I lost it got harder to get the same results and every-time I gain it was with the addition of just a little bit more. I certainly didn't get to this stage by maintaining. I could also have said I can do without the sweet stuff, but then there's just that bit of chocolate, or it would be rude not to have that cake for someone's birthday. Think about it, your talking about a lifetime choice!

This is what I found in my research & was recommended by my team. I was lucky & had my sleeve on NHS.originally wanted band but after really looking into it & taking lots of medical expert advice I changed my mind. Not regretted it & I am 3 months post op & lost 6 1/2 stones already. You still have to work at the weight loss & you need to weigh up the pros & cons of each surgery post op too vs your eating habits & lifestyle. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi florabell
You sound as if you are where I was just last year.
I had a BMI of fifty and was stuck there give or take a few stone.
I went for the band as it was occassional bingeing which does for me, on top of large portions etc.
I have will power in heaps which in january I used to lose a lot quite quickly with my surgery date in sight I spent four and a half months on the cambridge diet and shed 7 and a half stone. I have done this before but put it all back on and more.
It was all planned, my derby dietician said no but with hindsight it was my best move.
It also put me in a good pre-op condition with regard to the risks. However I looked like someone who least needed WLS. :)
The idea being that the band will act as a gate to excess eating, I see a band allowing me to enjoy food more for its flavors and textures rather than just filling me up.
I still have a way to go but I am so glad I did it my way.

It will all depend on what your eating habits are, volume eater ( like I was) I had a band fitted ( lost 8 & 1/2 stone and been maintaining for 1 yr & gone from a size 24/26 to 10/12, so it can be done x ) if ur a grazer/snacker and have sweet tooth you would be more suited to the bypass/sleeve - Just be honest about what your eating habits are and you wont go far wrong - Wishing you all the best xx

For me I was everything...volume, grazer, sweet tooth you name it! Cost made my decision for me as could only afford the band, so had to work hard re sweet stuff n snacks...but with willpower it can be done! :)

I was everything too. To be honest my band seems to work best for me when I eat more often but smaller portions. But it's all balanced and focused on protein first and foremost. I really didn't want anything as drastic as a sleeve or bypass, and I am over the moon with my choice. I don't want to waste my 6k so I am prepared to work with my band. I don't rely on it, but it's definitely there in the background, like a wee guardian angel
:angel:

Hi Flora,

At least one other bander on WLS chose a band despite having a starting BMI above 50, being Future Perfect.

This was FuturePerfect's latest update in April after losing 9 stones: http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-bander...04-9-stone-down-no-longer-morbidly-obese.html

I know I shouldn't really respond on behalf of another user, but I had noted your thread some hours ago and was hoping FuturePerfect (or a similar 50+ BMI person) might turn up on the thread.

I do feel that sometimes *believing* we are making the WLS surgery choice of our preference and the one that we want helps lead to success.

For me, I chose the sleeve even tho with a starting BMI above 51 and Type 2 diabetes a lot of clinicians (including my own surgeon) would have been more in favour of the bypass for speediest weight loss and fastest resolution of diabetes.

I personally chose the sleeve, and am now glad that I was allowed to have the surgery of my own choice.

Definitely sharonimo ... Our minds are very powerful in our weight loss journeys

Thanks Sharon!
Yes - I've have the band just over 6 months now - my weight loss is approx 1 stone every 2 months and that is perfect for me. Just reached 10 stone this week (after a week on liquids post-fill!)

Another consideration with a band is the fills that will be needed as you learn to live with it and make it work for you. Where would you have to travel for fills? Would they be available in N Ireland?

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you ALL for taking the time to reply to my queries. It has definitely given me plenty to think about! Sorry I haven't quoted anyone but I have read every reply thoroughly!

David, thank you for sharing, you were obviously very very dedicated losing so much beforehand, I'll be honest and admit the two week preop diet would be enough for me :p

Sharon thank you for posting that link, as soon as I have finished this reply I will be reading all about it. I have considered the sleeve too but the thought of having to travel for it, plus cost, puts me off.

FuturePerfect - you have done so amazing on your band!
In answer to your q, the only wls available privately here is through Gravitas and the surgeon only does band or bypass. The hospital is very close to me and I will have all my fills there etc, so it is an attractive option at the mo, albeit an expensive one.

I'm just so confused at the moment, I swing between thinking the op is the best idea then thinking I can try really hard this one last time to do it myself.

I am so scared of something going wrong and I've never had surgery in my life so the thought of it scares me to death. I have a lot of thinking to do..

Did any of you go into surgery feeling terrified?!

I must say I felt really chilled going in to surgery, but that was down to the staff at Derby mostly.
Good luck with your choice though
David

I was terrified, never had a op before in my life & never been in hopital. Loving my sleeve & attempting my first Michelain starred meal (tiny main course) Michel Roux restaurant tonight. Boyfriend persuaded me & has promised to eat what I leave. lOl

Hi future perfect! I'm also from n.ireland. There are private companies here so we would get the aftercare through them. There's NO NHS funding whatsoever. I'm conflicted re band vs sleeve. Was leaning towards a sleeve for most of this year but now I'm considering the band again. Mainly because it's reversible, and I'm scared of leaking. I know leaking is rare from a sleeve, but I've had surgery several times for various reasons and have always had complications, so I'm a bit worried.....my BMI is currently 44, so would probably be advised against the band though. Glad to read your story - you're amazing. Xo

Hi future perfect! I'm also from n.ireland. There are private companies here so we would get the aftercare through them. There's NO NHS funding whatsoever. I'm conflicted re band vs sleeve. Was leaning towards a sleeve for most of this year but now I'm considering the band again. Mainly because it's reversible, and I'm scared of leaking. I know leaking is rare from a sleeve, but I've had surgery several times for various reasons and have always had complications, so I'm a bit worried.....my BMI is currently 44, so would probably be advised against the band though. Glad to read your story - you're amazing. Xo
Good to see another person from N.I!

It's really disappointing about the NHS, isn't it? What do we pay taxes for?! Lol ;) I wish they could even subsidise it here, would make it a bit more affordable.

Have you booked in for anything yet? I am seeing Gravitas rep on Tuesday *eek*

Would love to chat more :)

I was terrified, never had a op before in my life & never been in hopital. Loving my sleeve & attempting my first Michelain starred meal (tiny main course) Michel Roux restaurant tonight. Boyfriend persuaded me & has promised to eat what I leave. lOl
Enjoy your meal! Your weight loss is brilliant, well done :)

Loving my sleeve & attempting my first Michelain starred meal (tiny main course) Michel Roux restaurant tonight. Boyfriend persuaded me & has promised to eat what I leave. lOl

I have decided that I have to find a partner due to this new unexpected reason -- constantly leaving half of anything I try to eat !!! My fridge is full of little odds and ends of half eaten meals .... and as a single person I have no one to offload it onto ..... so as soon as I get settled in Devon and reach a weight I feel confident and comfortable with, Operation Find an Eating Partner shall commence !!!! :D :D :D

Back