• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wine oh wine oh wine......

kateyloo

I can't believe this time 2 weeks ago I was sitting in a chair falling in and out of consciousness after my bypass surgery - now, 2 weeks on, I've had my stitches out, been weighed and lost 10 kilos and have found, the last couple of nights, I have woken up in my fave position (on my front) and it didn't hurt - yay - life is good!! :D:D

So, today I had my 1st big family sit down meal (my Dad, Step Mum, 3 Brothers and Partner). My Step Mum was kind enough to cook my partners favourite meal (toad in the hole) as, for the moment, I am not really up for cooking meals - he loved it!

I had oxtail soup and it was so strange sitting around a table and observing everyone - I didn't feel hungry or resent them for eating the food but I did have another of my light bulb moments as I noticed how quickly they consumed it all and especially how much they consumed and all I could think was - I used to do that!

What was even worse was, I was still sitting there with my bowl of soup only half finished when they had polished off 1st and 2nd helpings! I also noticed after they had finished eating that there was one lonely sausage left and although I didn't want it myself I still couldn't stand it being there and knowing it would go to waste - another of my pre-bypass problems, I hate waste - and kept trying to force someone to eat - in the end I cut a little off and gave it to my dog lol!

All in all I thought I coped pretty well with the situation and my Dad couldn't believe that I left some of my soup, especially as I used to be the one who would be polishing off that last sausage - I know it will take him a while to get used to it - I must admit he wasn't as behind me as others were when I told him I had decided to go for the bypass and he didn't understand why I couldn't lose weight just by controlling my eating and exercise - I think he is started to see it now though after I have explained a few things to him and how things in my past have controlled my eating habits and how I am finally coming to terms with them - it's only taken 30 odd years!

One thing I did do today though, that I am not very proud off, is that I had a few sips of white wine - I guess I was just curious as to what it would do to me - so far I think I am ok - after all it was only a few sips - but I am not sure I will want to try it again for a while - how long did other bypassers wait until they had a drink and how did it affect them?

I think that's it - just rambling really and not sure exactly how interesting this post will be to others but I just fancied have a little ramble.......

xxxxx

Sounds like you did well today :D It really does feel odd when you watch how much others eat and realise that pre-op you ate the same or more!
I havnt had alcohol yet, Im not much of a drinker so it hasnt bothered me not having it but some people have had it quite early and been ok I think. My team said none for 12 months! Its full of empty calories so I will give it a miss for a while longer :D
Keep up the great work XX

Good ramble! I had about half a glass of wine about 2 weeks post-op to celebrate my sons' exam results. It made me extremely tiddly.
I've been drinking alcohol about 4 nights of the week recently and last night really overdid it. I've decided it's time to go on the wagon! Empty calories are such a waste!

I totally relate to what you say about the amount and the speed at which 'normal' people eat. I'm still shocked at what my hubby and sons can put away food-wise, and I often used to eat bigger portions than any of them.
It just goes to show how little we can actually survive on and still be healthy.

I just wanted to say too - well done on sitting eating your soup whilst everyone else was tucking in. That's a big hurdle to overcome and you've done it early on.
It's great to hear about your excellent progress.
Hugs, Grace xxx

Awww thanks guys - I was beating myself up a little over the sips of wine - I don't usually drink a lot but curiosity got the better of me - I just hope I don't get too carried away with future curiosity hehe - your posts have made me feel much better :) xxxxx

I can't believe this time 2 weeks ago I was sitting in a chair falling in and out of consciousness after my bypass surgery - now, 2 weeks on, I've had my stitches out, been weighed and lost 10 kilos and have found, the last couple of nights, I have woken up in my fave position (on my front) and it didn't hurt - yay - life is good!! :D:D

Well done on your weight loss and recovery x

So, today I had my 1st big family sit down meal (my Dad, Step Mum, 3 Brothers and Partner). My Step Mum was kind enough to cook my partners favourite meal (toad in the hole) as, for the moment, I am not really up for cooking meals - he loved it!

I had oxtail soup and it was so strange sitting around a table and observing everyone - I didn't feel hungry or resent them for eating the food but I did have another of my light bulb moments as I noticed how quickly they consumed it all and especially how much they consumed and all I could think was - I used to do that!

I have noticed that too , I used too eat at the speed of light lol

What was even worse was, I was still sitting there with my bowl of soup only half finished when they had polished off 1st and 2nd helpings! I also noticed after they had finished eating that there was one lonely sausage left and although I didn't want it myself I still couldn't stand it being there and knowing it would go to waste - another of my pre-bypass problems, I hate waste - and kept trying to force someone to eat - in the end I cut a little off and gave it to my dog lol!

All in all I thought I coped pretty well with the situation and my Dad couldn't believe that I left some of my soup, especially as I used to be the one who would be polishing off that last sausage - I know it will take him a while to get used to it - I must admit he wasn't as behind me as others were when I told him I had decided to go for the bypass and he didn't understand why I couldn't lose weight just by controlling my eating and exercise - I think he is started to see it now though after I have explained a few things to him and how things in my past have controlled my eating habits and how I am finally coming to terms with them - it's only taken 30 odd years!

One thing I did do today though, that I am not very proud off, is that I had a few sips of white wine - I guess I was just curious as to what it would do to me - so far I think I am ok - after all it was only a few sips - but I am not sure I will want to try it again for a while - how long did other bypassers wait until they had a drink and how did it affect them?

I didnt think ppl that were bypassed were allowed too drink in the first year??? Or did I get that wrong:confused:

I think that's it - just rambling really and not sure exactly how interesting this post will be to others but I just fancied have a little ramble.......
Dont worry about rambling, we all do it from time too time xxx;)

All the best for future - MeJulie xx

Ahem... 'bypassers aren't allowed to drink alcohol for the first year'
LOL Julie!I'm quite embarrassed at my propensity to drink alcohol although actually, my provider doesn't suggest the 'one year alcohol rule', but just advises to avoid alcohol because of the empty calories.

But I suppose there are lots of things we're not supposed to do but do anyway. I guess the thing to ensure is that we don't OVERDO anything!

I didnt think ppl that were bypassed were allowed too drink in the first year??? Or did I get that wrong:confused:

I had heard that bypassers should stay off the alcohol for at least 12 months but I asked my nurse at the pre-assessment and she said exactly what Grace has said - you can drink but it's empty calories and you should be concentrating on only putting good things in your body - she did also mention that if I did chose to have a drink then it would probably affect me a little bit faster than it usually does - to which my response was 'cheap date then!' lol - sorry, forever the joker is me! xxx

Ahem... 'bypassers aren't allowed to drink alcohol for the first year'
LOL Julie!I'm quite embarrassed at my propensity to drink alcohol although actually, my provider doesn't suggest the 'one year alcohol rule', but just advises to avoid alcohol because of the empty calories.

But I suppose there are lots of things we're not supposed to do but do anyway. I guess the thing to ensure is that we don't OVERDO anything!

I wasnt judging any one , I thought my memory was playing tricks on me as I thought I saw a few ppl post about bypassers drinking post op - Glad too know me marbles are still intact....:D:D

I had heard that bypassers should stay off the alcohol for at least 12 months but I asked my nurse at the pre-assessment and she said exactly what Grace has said - you can drink but it's empty calories and you should be concentrating on only putting good things in your body - she did also mention that if I did chose to have a drink then it would probably affect me a little bit faster than it usually does - to which my response was 'cheap date then!' lol - sorry, forever the joker is me! xxx

LOL I am a seriously cheap date now! It takes very little to make me sloshed!

........and if we go out to eat, I only ever order tap water (with ice and a slice!)...because we're not supposed to eat and drink together and I can't be bothered to sit and wait half an hour after eating to drink! So I just have the odd sip of water at the most. :D

LOL I am a seriously cheap date now! It takes very little to make me sloshed!

........and if we go out to eat, I only ever order tap water (with ice and a slice!)...because we're not supposed to eat and drink together and I can't be bothered to sit and wait half an hour after eating to drink! So I just have the odd sip of water at the most. :D

I know what u mean , I dont order a drink at all when having a meal, wots the point in paying for a drink I am never gonna drink , its like a toss up between food and drink lol

I know what u mean , I dont order a drink at all when having a meal, wots the point in paying for a drink I am never gonna drink , its like a toss up between food and drink lol

Exactly! :D I have tap water coz they don't charge but only drink about 3 sips!

I wasnt judging any one , I thought my memory was playing tricks on me as I thought I saw a few ppl post about bypassers drinking post op - Glad too know me marbles are still intact....:D:D

Julie, I didn't think for one minute you were judging honey. I know you better than that! I was probably judging myself if anything!
It's good to know your marbles are ok! ....not sure about mine though! ;)

I did not drink post op for 3 months - as others have said a year was suggested, But my willpower was weak on newyears eve.

I also had a smidgen of a glass of wine on saturday night.

I

must admit ive not tried alcohol yet, well, ive had a bit of baileys in a coffee a couple of times, my auntie bought me a big bottle of it for christmas, the one with the hint of coffee in it, and the amount i put in my coffee was so small, i dont think it would count, lol. i still find it hard not to drink after ive eaten, as ive always had a drink with my meals, either coffee or water. ive sometimes given in and had a drink after half an hour or so.

must admit ive not tried alcohol yet, well, ive had a bit of baileys in a coffee a couple of times, my auntie bought me a big bottle of it for christmas, the one with the hint of coffee in it, and the amount i put in my coffee was so small, i dont think it would count, lol. i still find it hard not to drink after ive eaten, as ive always had a drink with my meals, either coffee or water. ive sometimes given in and had a drink after half an hour or so.

Dawny, half an hour after meals was the guide-line I was given, so that sounds fine to me!

I can't manage Baileys at all. It has either a very high sugar content or very high fat content. I disremember which - but it makes me dump! :eek::cry:

I also find I get tremendously thirsty straight after eating; hence the few sips of water.

Back