• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wish me luck...

Vespa

Hi all,

Even though I've just got funding and only seen the consultant thus far, I decided it would be beneficial to tell my manager at work about the op today.

I am scared though as they may think it's cosmetic, but I might need to explain that it's as life saving as a transplant- although in a very different way.

I'm not sure what to say as in time off work? Do you think I should say roughly 2 weeks but can differ?

Thanks all xxx

Good luck Tegan. If I were you I'd say two weeks and then if you need to extend it you can always do so at the time. They're less likely to grumble than they would if you told them a month lol. You shouldn't need to explain yourself or try to educate them on the benefits of wls. Just say your doctor has advised you to have it for health reasons and leave it at that. Besides which, a slimmer fitter you will ultimately be a better worker so it's good for the company too!

You could always just say you are having stomach surgery and not go into details. Depends on the relationship you have with your manager I guess.

I told my boss when I interviewed for the job 2 years ago and they were greatful for my honesty. She did joke about it being cosmetic but then again we don't get paid for being off sick anyway so I don't see what the problem is. They are happy for me to have the time off without it being counted as holiday and in fact having done health and safety courses in work since, I've found they have no choice but to allow me as much time as I need off before returning to work safely.

Good luck telling them I'm sure they'll be fine about it.

Love Kate x

hi i had 2 weeks off and i was fine a bit tender but fine...good luck with tell them i hope all goes okay x

Thanks guys I will say two weeks at least so they can't really complain. I might take it as holiday too.

Thanks for the advice :) xxx

Hi all,

Well just got back from my meeting with my manager and she was amazing about it! It turns out her sister had it done and she knows how it benefits your health.

She told me it's not necessary to take it as holiday as it's a proceedure and I can be off sick.

I feel so much better now, thanks for your advice :D xxx

Excellent great news so now you dont need to worry about work and you can concentrate on the surgery and being a new women!!! so please for you keep us updated!!

Yeah it's so good now I dont have to worry about that.

Focusing on my new life ahead of me :) xxx

Back