• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wished I had gone for bypass now :-(

shelleyt

I feel so disappointed in my sleeve, I think I made the wrong choice! My weight loss is so slow and I'm feeling hungrier than a month ago! I'm so fed up, please help :-(

So sorry have you contacted your team hope you get sorted soon x

I agree, contact your team and let them know how you are feeling. If you go or ring armed with a food diary hopefully they can help you xx

I feel so disappointed in my sleeve, I think I made the wrong choice! My weight loss is so slow and I'm feeling hungrier than a month ago! I'm so fed up, please help :-(

Post your weight loss. You may not be losing as slow as you think.
1 or 2 pound a week is the norm

Firstly, make sure it is real hunger. Here is an article about the different types of hunger;

The different types of hunger
Paediatrician and Zen meditation teacher Jan Chozen Bays suggests that there are seven different types of hunger:
  • Eye hunger. It's the old saying about ‘eyes being bigger than the stomach’, if the dessert trolley had its contents mixed together in a liquidiser would it look so good after you have eaten the steak? The eyes also have an effect through portion sizes, bigger plates mean bigger portions; people tend to finish what they are served, but research shows that when people are given a smaller plate that is just as full but holds less food they are just as happy.
  • Nose hunger. Another old one, early in the 20th century a scientist called Ivan Pavlov showed how the smell (and sight) of food leads to an automatic watering of the mouth. Next time you walk past your favourite restaurant take a moment to examine how the feelings in your mouth change as you begin to smell the food as you pass by. The problem is that this happens whether you are hungry or not.
  • Mouth hunger. An obvious one, but it's not just the flavour that the mouth craves it's also the texture. Would fish and chips or chicken tikka masala be as good to eat if they had been blended into a milkshake consistency?
  • The stomach. It's reasonable that we should eat because we feel that empty rumbling stomach. The error that we make is to think that our stomach tells us when to eat; actually we tell it. If we eat at a certain time of day, when we see things associated with that time of day (driving home, sunset and so on) our body responds to these triggers by setting of the stomach muscles moving in anticipation of having some food to process. We can retrain the stomach to respond to different expectations if we want to.
  • Cellular hunger. Have you ever had a fixed craving for one particular food, something out of the ordinary and not associated with passing a restaurant or seeing an advert? The thought of it just comes at you out of the blue, and triggers all of the types of hunger we have just discussed. Unless it's because it's a food you have been expressly forbidden to eat for medical reasons and you are feeling rebellious, then you should probably eat that food. There may well be an element or food group in it that your body needs. For instance if you have been doing strenuous lifting around the house and your arms are feeling weak – then that fantasy about a steak is your muscles asking for protein so they can repair themselves.
  • Mind hunger. We all have opinions about what is a good diet and these are influenced by the various rules of eating that we take on from diet gurus. Can they all be right? Can a vegetarian-based diet and a high-protein meat diet both be right? Some writers have tried to link differences to body type or blood group. Being an informed eater is one thing, but examine all your eating rules; how did you get them? What do you think will happen if you go against them? What is the evidence for those beliefs other than the opinion of a food guru?
  • Heart hunger. We can associate certain emotions with hunger. They may remind us of past happy times and so when we feel sad or lonely we fall back on these foods to lift our mood. The problem is when we begin to associate any food with being distracted from those negative emotions.
Next time you’re hungry ask yourself which hunger is at work, it's usually more than one. Ask yourself where your hunger comes from and will it make you eat or will you step back and make a considered choice. Mindfulness can be a useful approach in doing this.

Taken from;
BBC - Health: Overeating

Secondly, if you take omeprazole or something similar, try taking it first thing in the morning. I have read that in some people it reduces hunger, but that it needs a few hours to reach this point. Some take it an hour before eating.

Thank you for your replies, good reading becky about types of hunger. Wendy I have lost 46lb but it's taken me 14 weeks, I know drs say between 1-2lb is good and you shouldn't compare yourself to others but it's hard not to. I also het fed up with people at work asking how much I've lost now!!

Well thats over 3lbs a week!

Sorry but I thought by your post you were really struggling :confused:

Secondly, if you take omeprazole or something similar, try taking it first thing in the morning. I have read that in some people it reduces hunger, but that it needs a few hours to reach this point. Some take it an hour before eating.

I have quite often been taking 2 x Lansoprazole per day as I do sometimes get (a small amount of) acid reflux in the evenings, and then take an extra tablet to quell it -- and the acid feeling can feel like hunger. I find the taking the Lansoprazole regularly really does help reduce hunger cravings. I really noticed the first day I ran out of it and local chemist did not have it in stock and I had to wait 24 hours for more supplies (!!) -- I sure had the munchies that day !!!

Thank you for your replies, good reading becky about types of hunger. Wendy I have lost 46lb but it's taken me 14 weeks, I know drs say between 1-2lb is good and you shouldn't compare yourself to others but it's hard not to. I also het fed up with people at work asking how much I've lost now!!

Hi Shelley,

I do have moments when I think, "what if?" I had had the bypass -- would the malabsorption have been leading me to faster weight loss ..... ?

But I try to remember all the reasons why I chose the sleeve, and that this is for "healthy long term permanent weight loss" ...... a marathon, not a sprint.

On another sleevers group I take part in another sleever commented back to me today that my weight losses so far look like her first 5 - 6 weeks. She said that after the first few weeks of high losses, she also went down to about 2 lbs a week.

She mentioned that if we regularly lose more than 2 lbs a week statistically it is likely that some of the weight being lost will be muscle and lean tissue -- but 1 or 2 lbs a week is likely to be FAT. :)

Another thing, is, that with the sleeve we have to "work with it" and follow the rules and exert bit of will power (a bit like banders) to get the best out of this tool, perhaps just slightly more than bypassers who are more restricted / aided by an (initial) tiny pouch size and malabsorption.

If you are in a position to buy (approx $18 whatever that is in pounds -- for a printed hard copy, less for a kindle version) "Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve" you might find it helpful at reinforcing the rules.
Successful weight loss with The Gastric Sleeve - Dr. Alvarez

The official rules for sleevers are:

** 3 small meals a day (approx 300 cals each)
** high protein / protein first meals only
** NO SNACKING
** no high sugar / high calorie drinks / smoothies

Ignore anything you may have read about "5 or 6 mini meals per day" -- the surgeons who seem to be achieving the best results with the sleeve are the ones who are very strict and vigilant with their patients about the "3 meals a day" rule.

Yes, I know, I myself may not be following those rules absolutely perfectly every single day either (especially when I have been out and about on interviews) ..... but when in my regular routine, my normal 9 - 5 job with my planned lunch, I can stick to the 3 meals a day and no extras ..... but if I find the weight loss dwindling down to less than 2 lbs a week, I think that will be the time that I start getting a bit more strict !!

Shelley you are doing marvellous just keepon going you will get there, did you choose the sleeve or did the hosp ital reccommend it to you? i was advised to have the bypass they wont force it on you but was more suitable for my lifestyle.I have just had along period of about 6 weeks where i have just stayed the same finally i have lost again hopefully its back on the move xx Good luck but if its really stressing you out do speak to your team there help is often very good and sound. xx

Hi, you have to stop comparing. Its hard I know cos when I look on here it seems that others have lost 4 stone in the time Ive lost only 3. Wait a few more months and see how it goes...if in a year your not satisfied then maybe you need to consider bypass. But its early days yet and slow weightloss means more likely to stay off.:):gen126:

Ps ignore those people at work. Its too much pressure. People asking about my weight loss over the years drove me to put this weight on. Biscuit tin anyone? lolol

Ignore people at work.
One person said to me
"It doesn't look like its worked"
FFS I was 2 weeks out of surgery :mad: (I am now skinnier than she is:D)
My son (aged 6 at the time) asked when I was going back to the hospital to have the fat taken off :rolleyes:
He among others thought I would come out of hospital skinny.

I have to agree with people when saying not to compare yourself with other peoples losses.
For me, I love the fact that I don't think about food all day ...am full on 800 cals a day...I do snack but, it's a daily allowance of 100 cals.
Remember this is a tool we have to help us make the right choices without having to give in to hunger .
You are doing very well at 3lbs a week...it will never come back!
Do you have a support group near you, that you go to for extra support?
Just focus on the fact that you have lost over 40lbs....

I know its hard when the weightloss slows down...I didn't lose anything in weeks 3-6 !

We are all here to help each other.....hang on in the honey. x

To lose weight and for it not to come back = heaven...can't wait :)

Back