• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wls operation and asthma

pmkmrm

;) hi everyone
can iask is there any one here who has had wls and has athma??
i currantly take seretide and salbutamol. my asthma is well managed and under control/
i would be ineterested to read how it may affect surgery etc...
thanks
kate xx

;) hi everyone
can iask is there any one here who has had wls and has athma??
i currantly take seretide and salbutamol. my asthma is well managed and under control/
i would be ineterested to read how it may affect surgery etc...
thanks
kate xx

Hi Kate

I'm Ashtmatic and like yourself on Salbutamol - it wasn't a problem when i had my op, so long as you let your anesthatist know when you meet him/her and have your puffer to hand to show them.

hi Kate, I have brittle asthma and have to use a nebulizer. I'm pre op at the moment as I'm not getting banded untill 20th of april, so I can't really help you at the minute but I have read that surgery can help as the less weight you are carrying takes pressure off the lungs. It does'nt cure the asthma but will ease it.

I've got asthma, and am on seretide and salbutamol, and am having the op soon, so don't worry x;)

when I spoke to the anaesthetist he told me its not a problem but for 48 hours before I need to start taking 2 puffs every 4 hours whether I need to or not of my blue inhalor. HTH xXx

I have asthma and on seritide and atrovent, i onnly had to take them as normal before the op, plus the atrovent just before going down to surgery.

I have to admit i have not taken them since the op, i should discuss this with the nurse, have not needed them and am able to do a lot more before i get out of breath.

My asthma is a result of bronchitis, the fiorst time i had it it cleared up, but since then whenever i get a chest infection or bronchitis it flares back up again. The last one was a chest infection andmy breathing was so bad i was fighting not to be hospitalised. ideally i want to not have to take them again but i keep them just in case they are needed

Im so glad i found this thread, it's one of the things i was going to ask the surgeon and was scared i wouldnt be able to have the surgery, phew!!

I have asthma and take the same meds as you. I have low level COPD, still had two wls surgeries without any problem with my lungs. The surgeon took all of that into consideration. I also had mild sleep apnea and I take warfin, its wonderful how they can still do surgery even with all of that going on.

Rosebun xx

Similar thing here - I'm on salbutamol, beclometasone and salmeterol and although it's controlled at the moment I'm conscious that as the weather gets colder, my asthma usually plays up. I spoke to the pre-op nurse though and she seemed fine, just took a note of what I was on and told me to make sure I took them for at least a week before my op so that my airways wouldn't be agitated.
It really is amazing what they can do these days! :)

Im also asthmatic - on high dose seretide, salbutamol, plus montelukast and loratadine tablets and mometasone nasal spray - I have just started to experiment with my GP on coming off or reducing some of these meds - I've been told to ditch the montelukast tablets for a month and so far so good, a week in! Once the GP is happy, he said the next step will be to put me on the lower dose of seretide, with the hope that eventually I can come off it altogether!! Whoopie!! I definitely dont feel so breathy since losing weight. Good luck! :)

I have asthma and am also a hosehead. The anesthesilogist said that they will take extra precautions with regards to my breathing during surgery and the surgeon said I can expect not to need my medication, or at least be able to reduce doses.

I have had asthma since childhood and it is very well controlled.

Hope this helps.

Yve

Back