• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Work medical

daisy2002

Hi all.

I have to have a medical for my new job but i'm worried if i'll pass it.
I'm having my bypass on the 27th of March & i have my medical on the 2nd of April :eek:
I believe the sort of things they do are hearing, sight, weight :( , walk in a straight line, touch your toes :( and a urine test for drugs and alcohol :(

Now i am worried about the bending over, is that possible without causing myself any problems?
Also will i still be on drugs, painkillers, that kind of thing a week later? Someone i know said its best not to have any drugs at all including painkillers in your system.

They wanted me to have the medical the week i'm having the operation so i've already put them off for 1 week.

I've waited a long time for this job and jumped through loads of hoops to get this far. The last hurdle is the medical and :cross: :innocent0001: i pass, its then training the following month.

I know everyones recovery is different but generally how has everyone felt a week after their surgery?

Could you not of maybe had the medical b4 ur op?

I can only say how I felt and remember everyone is different but I had no medication from 3 days post op and could quiet easily put socks on and pick things up from the floor without any problems if this is any help to you but everyones pain is different, Good Luck hope it all works out for you xx

I felt very weak and tired for weeks after,unable to do light housework for at least two to three weeks.Just explain what you have had done and ask if it could be deferred for a few weeks.

Daisy, I'm in a similar predicament. Not working at present and fingers crossed op in June or July.

Decided I'd rather wait til after op to apply for jobs as there is no way I would in this present climate take a job on a six month probationary period knowing I may be off work for say a month during that time. There wouldn't be a cat in hells chance I would be kept on.

Hi Daisy, Although I felt well in myself, I struggled with bending over for weeks. I would get a sharp pain in my left side & was told it was deep muscle pain. I must have been about 10 weeks out before it passed completely & I know others have had the same issue. BUT not everyone does, so you may be lucky. :) Do the company know you are having the op? If so, they should know it will only be a temporary situation but if they don't know could you bring the medical forward rather than back? Good luck :) xx

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The earliest date they could offer was the friday before the op but i have to be at the hospital for pre op stuff, bloods and whatever else they do.
It took us nearly 2 hours to get there & 2 hours back when we went the other day so couldn't fit both in.

The company is London Underground. I've been waiting ages for this job and i'm really worried about messing it up. I didn't say i was having an operation but didn't say what the operation was, i was taken off guard by their call.
I have put them off previously because of my panic attacks and really don't want to keep mucking them about.... scared they might tell me to get lost lol.

I think i'll have the op and see how i feel by the end of the week & then maybe call and ask for a slightly later date. I'm booked for training on May 2nd :eek:
With the olympics i think they want people trained asap and ready to work.

Wish i had thought about having this op a few months ago, instead of saying no each time my husband suggested it.

I'm five weeks post op and can't bend in the middle still, I hope you don't have this problem honey and pass with flying colours x

My work colleague's hubby is an underground train driver, i will ask her tomorrow what the medical entails. You are going to be quite swollen and sore after a week so if you decide to go then tell them you are taking painkillers for the pain. They are looking for illegal drug taking so pain killers are fine.
Im sure you will pass and good luck :)

Kim

You could always attend the medical & come clean to the nurse if absolutely necessary as you are doing nothing wrong ... just trying to make yourself healthier :wave_cry: You may well be fine ... good luck, sweetie xxx :)

I would tell them about your op. I think they're looking for illegal drugs in your system rather than painkillers which should be quite acceptable. Don't think you'll have a problem if you let them know the situation, and after all it's an op that's going to make you healthier and fitter for the job rather than the other way round.

Good luck, hope you get the job.

Kate x

I had the Gastric Wrap, but I had no painkillers at all after the operating. I had some sleeping tablets but that was mainly to kill boredom time at night. I was sleepy during the day for about 3 days, but that's about it. I've had no issues bending/driving/walking or doing anything I normally do since the op.

Everyone is different, I was lucky, some are not so lucky.

Thanks guys :)

My husband spoke to the occupational health people who do some of the medical and they said i should get another date.
I spoke to the lady who gave me the medical date & she said that i'll have my medical 1-2 weeks later than the date i was give.
Its not great but it's better than 1 week post-op.
I just hope i'm not too sore or in too much pain for the medical, really scared incase i fail.

I will tell them what operation i've had when i go to the medical. Have only told one other family member what i'm doing and that didn't go down well :rolleyes: so i've been reluctant to tell anyone else.

Back