• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

UKOOA Offshore Medical Following Gastric Bypass

DanR

Six Month Post Op
Bit of a strange query but I'm hoping someone here can help.

Parts of my job entail going offshore to oil & gas platforms in the North Sea. I failed my last medical due to my BMI (something to do with being unable to fit through a helicopter window!) however now that I'm two weeks post bypass and on the road to a healthy BMI I'm wondering if my bypass will have a bearing on future medicals?

So, do any of you guys work in the UK offshore sector and if so has your gastric bypass resulted in restrictions or refusal to issue a certificate?

I have checked the UKOOA website and googled however the medical standards aren't available online without paying for them and I don't really want to ask my employer to organise another medical if I'm going to fail straight off.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all :)

Dan

Hi Dan is there an 'offshore' forum for those who work the rigs to see if anyone knows there at all. I know its a long shot but Im not sure htere are any bypassers here who actually work them. Just a suggestion.

I agree not to trouble your employer right yet. it wont look too good if you fail the medical twice will it. I cannot see why having a gastric bypass would cause you to fail a medical once you have lost your excess weight though, as long as you are taking all your supplements and all your tests come back fine I would imagine you should be ok. You are right to try and find out though. I imagine this is probably a first for your employers too and there is nothing written into policy.

Congratulations on having your op and all the success both with wl and work for the future Xx

Thank you both for your replies.

I have taken a look but haven't been able to find any suitable forums online so I think the next step will be to see if we have a copy of the medical guidelines elsewhere within the company and go from there. Failing that I'll wait until I'm closer to goal and just bite the bullet and ask to be put in for my medical again.

When I do manage to find out I'll try and post a further reply.

Dan

Did the company not tell you what these guidelines are for passing the medical??

I know they informed you that you didnt pass because of high Bmi, could u not ask them what the requirements Bmi is passable for this kind of medical??

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

All the best - MeJulie x x

Didn't want to read and run!! Am quite jealous of you having a job that involves going in a helicopter though!!! I'm sure you're bored of it all by now but it is definitely on my list of things to do!!!

Hope everything is going well with you post-op!! I'm sure you'll do fantastically well!! I think I read in an earlier post that you were feeling a bit blue. Hope you start to feel better soon!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Dan
I work in HSE in Oil & Gas and work for an operator.

I have tried to look at the UKOOA guidelines but they are like rocking horse droppings to find a copy and UKOOA charge. I had a chat with a medic and he said there isnt a specific mention but its up to the examining physician.

What he did say was that his concern was that the physical exertions on the BOSIET etc may cause damage to the surgery which employers would not want to be liable for.

My advice would be, which Im taking to my employer, is to seek a report from the surgeon performing the procedure for his/her opinion and supply that to the Dr conducting the medical.

Early days for me yet but I wont make a decision till I get that opinion - I need to pay a mortgage haha

Meanwhile - keep up the good work and stay safe offshore (I hate the follow up paperwork :eek: )

Steuart, this is a really old thread, from 2009.

DanR hasn't posted for a number of years now.

Hi Steuart,

I forgot that I posted this, doesn't time fly!

Thanks for your response; I do in fact have an answer now (hopefully it'll prove useful to someone!).

Once the consultant discharged me and my BMI dropped below the UKOOA 'limit' I went for my medical and passed with flying colours :).

I had a chat with the examining doctor, explained about my bypass, had the examination and she was happy to issue me with a 2 year unrestricted certificate - I've been back offshore for nearly two years now. The only downside is that I can't do the 'all you can eat' Sunday dinners now lol!

As far as my bypass is concerned I have lost 8.5 stone and my weight has been stable for the last 18 months or so; it's cost me an absolute fortune in clothes, I had my first proper girlfriend, and I do still occasionally eat too much and suffer for it but do I regret it? Hell no! My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner; they say life begins at thirty, in my case that seems to be true :).

Good luck with your journey and I hope it all goes well!

Cheers (and don't worry, I have no intention of making you more paperwork; maybe our paths will cross offshore at some point!)

Dan

DanR, this is great info. I'm currently onshore but one of my goals is to move to offshore ops post surgery.

Hi Steuart,

I forgot that I posted this, doesn't time fly!

Thanks for your response; I do in fact have an answer now (hopefully it'll prove useful to someone!).

Once the consultant discharged me and my BMI dropped below the UKOOA 'limit' I went for my medical and passed with flying colours :).

I had a chat with the examining doctor, explained about my bypass, had the examination and she was happy to issue me with a 2 year unrestricted certificate - I've been back offshore for nearly two years now. The only downside is that I can't do the 'all you can eat' Sunday dinners now lol!

As far as my bypass is concerned I have lost 8.5 stone and my weight has been stable for the last 18 months or so; it's cost me an absolute fortune in clothes, I had my first proper girlfriend, and I do still occasionally eat too much and suffer for it but do I regret it? Hell no! My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner; they say life begins at thirty, in my case that seems to be true :).

Good luck with your journey and I hope it all goes well!

Cheers (and don't worry, I have no intention of making you more paperwork; maybe our paths will cross offshore at some point!)

Dan
Hi Dan,

I'm trying my best to encourage my husband to have the same procedure he weighs 142 kilo ( 22.5 stone) we have 3 children under 5 the youngest only 4 months. He also works off shore, I can't even begin to say how it affects our lives and I constantly worry if something were to happen to him. Do you mind me asking when you originally had the bypass fitted did you advise your employer? as this seems to be his main worry. He was advised by the offshore medic that they would not let him work offshore with a band/ bypass is this standard? or has he been misinformed? Crazy really as they are worried about medi vac him off, if he has a problem with the band/bypass but not if he suffers a stroke or heart attack!

Would you be happy to PM me? as I have so much to ask and it seems that you may be the man that can point us in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance :)

Back