• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Working after gastric bypass

penguina

OK I have a dilemma: (Sorry this might be a long one)

We do an antique fair that is only held three times a year, it is very hard to get a pitch as it is a small venue but under a out of town shopping center so it has a huge footfall. We try to keep on the good side of the organisers as we can only do two a year, and want to keep our space. You have to book in December each year for the fairs the following year.

It involves packing stock from our shop on Thursday, setting up at the fair friday afternoon, selling (hopefully!) on Saturday and Sunday, then packing up the stock Sunday evening and putting the shop back together on Monday. We usually have three 6ft tables of stock ranging from Glass, china, well anything we think we can make a profit on really.

My op date was scheduled for 28th July at the beginning of the week and by Thursday had been rescheduled for 4th August. I just don't know whether to cancel the fair or hope I will be OK to do it. Hubby can do all the lifting but I usually do all the packing and deciding what stock to take. I really want to do the fair, firstly we could do with the money if we make sales. secondly we buy very well at the fair on the Friday (typical antiques dealer "stock rich and cash poor"!) and thirdly it may not look too good for getting our pitch next year if I cancel and was only able to do one of the three.

But is two weeks after a bypass to soon to be doing quite a long job? I have never had an op or any illness really to know how I will feel. I just need someone to make up my mind for me. HELP!

suepat10

How far from you is the fair?

Is it close enough that you could ask friends to help out. If you ask more than one then they won't be doing the full weekend.

suepat10

Also, could you ring and explain your dilemma to them. They may be very understanding x

minxie

I think there are quite a few people here who have returned to work at about 2 weeks post-op, including someone who drives lorries (sorry, forgotten who it was). If you take it easy you might find it okay. Why don't you give your surgical team or nurse a call to ask their advice?

xxsarahxx

well i can see how much this means to you hun and i can only speak from experience. I'm now 9 days post op and only had my first visitor yesterday, i've not been in the garden yet but hope to today, i'm sleeping every 4 to 5 hours and i'm only just starting to feel well. Now you could be running around at this stage and feeling great but for me it would be a no no x

jaxx

I found standing and walking hard to do for up to 2 weeks after my surgery. I did go to a rock concert 14 days post surgery but I was in the seating section. All I can say is see how you feel. I ended up having 4 weeks off work and I sit at a desk all day. I couldn't have gone back to work any sooner. Maybe have your hubby do all the work with a friend and you direct things from a chair. But remember to rest as you'll still be healing and the last thing you'll want to do is rupture something and end up back in hospital.

penguina

Thank you, you guys, especially Jax and Sarah for their post op personal experiences. I have just bitten the bullet and come off the phone cancelling the fair. The only good thing is I know they have a waiting list of replacements, so I am not letting them down, just making it harder to get back in next year. BUT they were very nice about it.

I also thought well there is still a month and my date could get pushed back further making it a week to go, or even that weekend, so cancel was the logical thing to do, even though my heart wanted to do the fair.

Also thanks sue and minxie, I spoke to the bariatric coordinator yesterday.but she said we all feel different, and I might be OK but then I might not LOL. 99% of our friends are much older than we are so we help them, they are too decrepit lift and stand! I keep saying we need to find a young couple to look after us!!

Again, thanks until the next question xx Trisha

suepat10

Seeing as there is no problem calling in a replacement, I reckon come time to book for next year they won't even remember you had to cancel x x

Big an Bouncy

I think you were wise to cancel I was knackered for weeks and only pottered around the house or slept for the first 4/6 weeks!You have waited/worked too hard to comprimise your lifechanging surgery now.There will be other fairs you only have one life.Maz x

xxsarahxx

i feel your disappointment hun....just wait til next time, you'll be whizzing around the fair like a whippet lol

penguina

Thanks Sarah - a whippet eh! I can't ever see me getting that boney - My friend has three whippets and they look like spare ribs on legs!!

I am so pleased for you, you have had your op. I often read your posts and thought you would be at the end of the year. Good on you girl. You need to change your stats on the side as you are more than 11 lbs down with your great start on the pre op diet. How long did you do the pre op for? I have to do two weeks of the milk diet.