• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

working out cals and protein

teen

post op loser
Do many of you work out your cals and protein?

I have done it for the first time today all written down, I am so not having enough

Cals today = 566
Protein =38g

Not sure how Im gonna get the right cals as I get full real quick Gonna have to start snacking on baby bels through the day

Hi Teen, your protein does seem low. Maybe you can add a protein drink? As far as the calories 500-700 is normal for less than 6 months post op, I mean you can tolerate more but you don't need to. After 6-9 months you should be able to manage 800 calaries per day and eventually 1000-1200 calories is ideal (I'm not 100% sure about this number but I think it is in the ballpark).

Nic

I have a fridge full of fortimel can not stomach them anymore was looking for a cheaper alternative that aint milk baste

I monitor mine on foodfocus.co.uk (Thanks Shellbell)
and am aiming for 70-90g of protein a day....i really find it help me keep track and stay on course

Hope it help you hun, I know it is sometimes hard to juggle all the food but a focus on protein is where it's at promise!

Nic:D

800 cals a day is the bare minimum to survive healthy on,of course you will need more cal's the more excersizing you do. I'm trying to eat around the 1000 to 1200 cals a day at the moment, some day's I do and some I don't but I'm still experimenting with different foods so some day's it's just the throw up syndrome.

I have never counted calories, protein or really watched my diet, i've never used or even tried protein suppliments or shakes as i dont believe in them. I tend to eat fairly healthily most of the time as i enjoy lighter salads etc to heavy claggy foods, i do make sure i eat meat, mainly chicken, turkey fish and some times beef as i like meat (so i get my protein this way) - that doesn't mean i dont eat junk food because i do - the joys of a young family means McD's and such on occassion, plus i strongly believe that a little bit now and then keeps your craving for rubbish foods in check, deny it and it jus gets harder and harder.
I do now spend at least an hour a day in the gym, and alternate a high intensity cardio vascular routine with light weights for tone !

I had my bypass at the end of August 08 and i've lost 10 stone so far and have 2 stone to go till i reach my ultimate goal weight - so i must be doing something right.

A balanced diet is what it's all about, and if your not on a good diet it's probably not now that you will feel the effects it will be in years to come as your imune system and body functions start to deteriate from lack of nutrition.

Well done on the weight loss SS :)

I'm having trouble with this myself. Eggs are great, also tuna mayonnaise made with light Hellman's. I have dairylea triangles for quick protein fix, they were perfect especially when I was transitioning off liquids because they kinda melt in your mouth. I've started having avocado, because of the protein and also it's a healthy fat. I just wasn't able to cope on 800 calories and so avocado is great becuase yeah it's high cal but it's soft and easy to digest and at this point I need the calories. I can't tolerate meat. I've tried twice, first with beef mince in tomato sauce and then chicken but both times I ended up in pain even though I chewed it half to death. BAD pain. I'm 5 weeks post op and a typical day will be redy brek made with soymilk and non sugar sweetner, or maybe a protein shake. Lunch can be tuna or egg mayonnaise, or half an avocado with low fat hummus. Dinner, probably soup and maybe some water biscuits. I need to start eating fresh fruit and veg but I'm scared of it getting stuck. Good luck! Shellbell's link is a great help.
On days when I need an early start and not hungry, I'll have a banana cut into slices and spread with peanut butter. Again, high calories but it keeps me going.

I'm having trouble with this myself. Eggs are great, also tuna mayonnaise made with light Hellman's. I have dairylea triangles for quick protein fix, they were perfect especially when I was transitioning off liquids because they kinda melt in your mouth. I've started having avocado, because of the protein and also it's a healthy fat. I just wasn't able to cope on 800 calories and so avocado is great becuase yeah it's high cal but it's soft and easy to digest and at this point I need the calories. I can't tolerate meat. I've tried twice, first with beef mince in tomato sauce and then chicken but both times I ended up in pain even though I chewed it half to death. BAD pain. I'm 5 weeks post op and a typical day will be redy brek made with soymilk and non sugar sweetner, or maybe a protein shake. Lunch can be tuna or egg mayonnaise, or half an avocado with low fat hummus. Dinner, probably soup and maybe some water biscuits. I need to start eating fresh fruit and veg but I'm scared of it getting stuck. Good luck! Shellbell's link is a great help.
On days when I need an early start and not hungry, I'll have a banana cut into slices and spread with peanut butter. Again, high calories but it keeps me going.

Hi Dame

Can i suggest you cut the sweetner out, its not good for you as our intestines and bowl arn't set up for it, you'll find it works against you rather than for you, if you really need sweetness then a small amount fo sugar is better, or have none

I wouldn't worry about meat at the moment, post op i couldn't tollerate meat either and steered well clear of it, slowly things do get back to normal and you'll find that week by week stuff goes down easier - be under no illusion though i still get it wrong some times and fail to chew a lump of pork or lamb properly, but in general most things go through ok now !

Back