• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

reached goal worried i keep loosing more weight

sewingbelle56

i have reach my goal and lost 6 stones since last august which i am delighted about. My body (legs and baby belly bit can stand to loose more but there is no saying where the weight would come from and my face is looking gaunt now.

no one seams to talk about maintaining and not loosing any more weight and i wonderered if any one else has this problem.

i have some gyny problems and when they fare up i loose weight i dont seam to loose on the other weeks which suits me fine.
i have also been diagnose with gall stones and Waiting on an appointment with Dr Ammori to sort them out and do an endioscope as i have spells of being sick and severe pain which also doesnt help maintain my weight. to combat not being able to eat much io was eating 50% Fat seads and peanuts to get cals and protein in since i went on to solids but they have probably caused the gall stones my gp says and definatly make the gallstones pain worse so i rarely eat them now.
i try to have a slimfast smoothie each day too boost my protein.
a few people have been saying oh you dont want to loose any more weight now you will look ill and i am worried.

i also saw a lady at my 6 month check up in the waiting room and she had some complications following her bypass 2 years ago and she was anorexic looking and really stuggling to eat enough cals she joked that she was having to eat choc biscuits and she never ate them when she was fat she maintained she was happier being thinner rather than fat but she wanted to gain weight.

i dont want to get so thin and with 2 gyny ops probably being done in the next 4 months i can see me loosing more weight.

angela

i haven't had my op yet but i do hope your questions are answered soon, there are so many knowledgable people on here, they'll be along shortly i'm sure....all the best hun x

I hope you find your answers too. May be some higher calorie stuff. Or try using high protein drinks to help build muscle to stave of the decline in your weight?

Sorry to trivialise your situation ... but I'd really like to have your current predicament. :eek:

I hope you get your answer soon

i thought the same last year

but a bypass is forever and i have been worried about this for 2 months now not telling any one but my dietician and to be honest i was scared of posting incase i got bad responses from people.

like all of us on here i was seriously overweight and people at home didnt understand how unhappy i was and scared of having an heart attack being so over weight but now i am scared of the other side and getting the weight loss to stop.

i can not be the only person on this site who has reached there goal and wants to maintain, like the lady at my 6 mths check i am eating chocolate and biscuits in small amounts so not to dump to get the cals in

Hiya SB, I can absolutely see why you are worried. We always concentrate on the losing period whereas maintaining is always tricky no matter what diet we follow. I've read about some people losing more than they want or need to as I'm doing my pre-op research. The advice I remember was to break the rules of the pouch i.e take fluids at mealtimes,to enable higher consumption, increase sliders and sneak in extra calories this way. I know that Silver Surfer has to break the pouch rules as he now excersizes so much that he has to work to keep his calorie intake up. I haven't seen him on here lately so it might be an idea to drop him a pm to ask for advice.
And well done on your fantastic weight loss-I'm sure you'll feel great once your confident that your in control.

Hi Angela, this is a very important question and something that should be discussed more in my opinion.

It would be better if you could stop the weight loss without resorting to chocolate biscuits but if it starts to get too low then that is something you may have to introduce. "normal people" have the occasional chocolate biscuit!

Try to use full fat versions of some of the things you have now. Maybe have full fat milk instead of semi-skimmed, butter instead of low fat spread etc. Also you can start to sip drinks with your meals to enable you to get in more calories from each meal. CC's idea of a protein shake is a good one as well, although Ive never been able to tolerate them myself.

A bit of an overshoot past your desired target should be welcomed as many bypassers naturally gain around a stone as their weight starts to stabilise. Also I have read elsewhere of people saying they looked gaunt as they reached goal, but then the gauntness disappeared as the weight stabilised so dont be too worried yet.

Well done on your fabulous achievements so far. Would love to see some before and after photo's.

Sambucca is that true do most people gain around a stone:( as weight stabilises? oh no!

People are starting to say to me don't lose anymore weight, yeah as if there is an on-off switch, and I'm quite happy for now still losing thank-you grrrr.

I don't think Silver Surfer nor Hopelesscase is the best person to speak to. I think going to your doctor and seeing a dietitian is the best place to start.

It's always good and useful to hear about people's experiences, but to take dietary advice from a non-medical professional is a crazy in my opinion.

Don't be scared to talk to your doctor nor your dietician - it is a problem they face every day with bypassers I'm sure.

In the interim consider the protein shakes to help up your caolrie & nutritional intake rather than a chocolate biscuit.

Sambucca is that true do most people gain around a stone:( as weight stabilises? oh no!

People are starting to say to me don't lose anymore weight, yeah as if there is an on-off switch, and I'm quite happy for now still losing thank-you grrrr.

I wouldnt say that most people gain a stone, but the guidance notes I had from Walsall Manor did say that this was common, and not to be alarmed. When (if) regain starts to occur its important to find the right level of food for you to prevent too much regain, but to prevent any further losses.

Its bloomin hard work, this WLS business!

I would imagine once the gall stones are sorted out things will perk up dietary wise.Speak again with your dietician.

i thought the same last year

but a bypass is forever and i have been worried about this for 2 months now not telling any one but my dietician and to be honest i was scared of posting incase i got bad responses from people.

like all of us on here i was seriously overweight and people at home didnt understand how unhappy i was and scared of having an heart attack being so over weight but now i am scared of the other side and getting the weight loss to stop.

i can not be the only person on this site who has reached there goal and wants to maintain, like the lady at my 6 mths check i am eating chocolate and biscuits in small amounts so not to dump to get the cals in

Hiya

I am having the same problem. My weight loss shows no sign of slowing and on monday I was told by another of my consultants (unrelated prob) to stop loosing weight now! I went to a hospital group meeting the other day and had a quick word with my nurse who suggested I add in some slimfasts or similar. Same as you though I am having to spread it over the day so that I dont dump. I am also trying to make sure I eat at least four times especially if the amounts I have managed are small. I am going to my next check up in a couple of weeks and will ask for further advice then. The nurse did say that they had only had one lady that had gone to the low side of a normal weight, she added some slimfasts and had put on 1kg when she went to another follow up.

I know someone else who is in this situation and they were told to increase their calories by taking on higher fat foods and eating more. How is your eating going i know last time we spoke you and i were very different in our ability of which foods we could eat and you were struggling are yoy managing to eat more variety now? xx

Thank-you Sam.:)
What an interesting post this is.

I don't think Silver Surfer nor Hopelesscase is the best person to speak to. I think going to your doctor and seeing a dietitian is the best place to start.

It's always good and useful to hear about people's experiences, but to take dietary advice from a non-medical professional is a crazy in my opinion.

Don't be scared to talk to your doctor nor your dietician - it is a problem they face every day with bypassers I'm sure.

In the interim consider the protein shakes to help up your caolrie & nutritional intake rather than a chocolate biscuit.

I'm sorry i need to disagree slightly with you there Cah-ching (and i promised myself to try so hard not too)...

I personally think professional help is all well and good, but sometimes its good to speak to someone who not only owns the t-shirt but also wears it on a regular basis... SS and HLC are both super sucessful bypassers, i also think Shelbelle will be able to shed some light for you also Sewingbelle. I do believe Shel is ''happily maintaining'' at the moment...

Good luck with stopping the weight loss,

and like Cah-ching i wish i had your problem right now, i wish you well xxxx

Cah-ching, be nice to see you Monday :) x

Sorry but I beg to differ, s/surfer, hopelesscase, phatgirl, shellbell, are excellent in there advice I have always asked them and they have never lead me in any wrong direction. If it was go to the doctors with everything that was of concern then whats the use on having the excellent advice given on here. Ime not having a go at you here cah-ching but sometimes it is best to get a lil knowledge before you do go to your doctors, and all of these members have an excellent weight loss and also maintained. Kind regards Gail

I agree, nothing better than hands on experience if you ask me.

Well what can i say i had origanally set my target at 140 lbs as in my wildest dreams i never expected to get there let alone exceed it. BUT in my heart of hearts i always hankered after getting to within a healthy BMI.
You can magine my delight as i hit the magical 140lbs by that time my weight loss had slowed down to maybe 2lbs a month. But i was delighted that it was still coming off as my BMI was still 30. I continued to loose very slowly and eventually got to 9 st with a bmi of 24.9. Happy days.
Earlier on this year i had the most awful pain which is still under investigation and i lost 6lbs within a month but i was really struggling to eat and basically back on the milk and soup full time. The pain has now subsided and i have regained 4lbs so am now 8st 12lbs and have maintained that for the past 4 weeks.
I spoke at length with the dietition and the bariatric nurse as one of the things i noticed was by increasing my carbs(not refined but all wholegrain things brown rice ,wholemeal pasta,wholemeal bread etc) i was constantly hungry, so to combat this and not fall into habits of grazing and still sticking to the no more than 5g per 100g of fat and sugar i now have 1 carb heavy day where i eat carbs with every meal and 2 protien rich days where i just have carbs with my last meal as again if i have them early in the day im then hungry all day.
The only thing they could come up with when talking to them was that with my new plumbing i have an insulin drop as it passes through.
Im lucky as ive never once been told that i look ill, gaunt or that i shouldnt loose any more weight.Im healthy, told that i look vibrant and feel fantastic.
Ive probably got around a stone of excess skin to come off so if i continue to maintain once thats removed i will have a BMI of 22.5 perfect..
Hope that helps
Carole

Last edited:
Excellent advice caz as always.:553:
Well what can i say i had origanaly set my target at 140 lbs as in my wildest dreams i never expected to get there let alone exceed it BUT in my heart of hearts i always hankered after getting to within a health BMI.
You can magine my delight as i hit the magical 140lbs by that time my weight loss had slowed down to maybe 2lbs a month. But i was delighted that it was still coming off as my BMI was still 30. I continued to loose very slowly and eventually got to 9 st with a bmi of 24.9. Happy days.
Earlier on this year i had the most awful pain which is still under investigation and i lost 6lbs within a month but i was really struggling to eat and basically back on the milk and soup full time. the pain has now subsided and i have regained 4lbs so am now 8st 12lbs and have maintained that for the past 4 weeks.
I spoke at length with the diatition and the bariatric nurse as one of the things i noticed was by increasing my carbs(not refined but all wholegrain things brown rice ,wholemeal pasta,wholemeal bread etc) i was constantly hungry, so to combat this and not fall into habits of grazing and still sticking to the no more than 5g per 100g of fat and sugar i now have 1 carb heavy day where i eat carbs with every meal. and2 protien rich days where i just have carbs with my last meal as again if i have them early in the day im then hungry all day.
The only thing they could come up with when talking to them was that with my new plumming i have an insulin drop as it passes through.
Im lucky as ive never once been told that i look ill, gaunt or that i shouldnt loose any more weight.Im healthy, told that i look vibrant and feel fantastic.
Ive probably got arouns a stone of excess skin to come off so if i continue to maintain once that removed i will have a BMI od 22.5 perfect..
Hope that helps
Carole

Back