• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

reached goal worried i keep loosing more weight

no i am still stuggling on variety i can eat prawns, cheese nuts seeds,most veg if well/over cooked and mushy but i can eat chicken if v tender and juicy eggs are ok

crunchy thin toast (like melba) a rich tea biscuit now and again
up to 2 chocolate blocks if i watch sugars around the time i eat them so not to dump
i still struggle with yogurts

since the beginning i compensated with 50% nuts to keep my cals and proteins up

LOL! Sometimes the misundertanding on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

I didn't ever say that she should dismiss what those who have been through surgery have been through and their knowledge based on their experience. Read again what I said as I recall I said something along the lines of:

It's always good and useful to hear about people's experiences, but to take dietary advice from a non-medical professional is a crazy in my opinion.

If someone is struggling to maintain their weight they should seek professional help. Albeit their is no harm in asking people's opinion based on what their experiences are. Whilst I have asked opinion on these boards there is no way I'd actually make decisions based upon the advice administered here ... sorry I wouldn't. I value you all as experienced in dealing with your bodies etc. I also imagine that there are plenty of commonalities. However to poo-poo my idea of seeking trained professional help is down-right dangerous and out of order if you ask me.

I read read read, listen and take on board all the experiences I've read on here, for my own journey ahead - it's an invaluable resource for which I am abundantly grateful. To intimate I go running to the doctor for every little thing - or I advocate such behaviour is ludicrous also. A little knowledge helps and thats why I suggested she reads and then seeks professional advice - not to solely rely upon the advice of untrained bariatric patients, of which I will be one too.

Each to their own.

Well what can i say i had origanally set my target at 140 lbs as in my wildest dreams i never expected to get there let alone exceed it. BUT in my heart of hearts i always hankered after getting to within a healthy BMI.
You can magine my delight as i hit the magical 140lbs by that time my weight loss had slowed down to maybe 2lbs a month. But i was delighted that it was still coming off as my BMI was still 30. I continued to loose very slowly and eventually got to 9 st with a bmi of 24.9. Happy days.
Earlier on this year i had the most awful pain which is still under investigation and i lost 6lbs within a month but i was really struggling to eat and basically back on the milk and soup full time. The pain has now subsided and i have regained 4lbs so am now 8st 12lbs and have maintained that for the past 4 weeks.
I spoke at length with the dietition and the bariatric nurse as one of the things i noticed was by increasing my carbs(not refined but all wholegrain things brown rice ,wholemeal pasta,wholemeal bread etc) i was constantly hungry, so to combat this and not fall into habits of grazing and still sticking to the no more than 5g per 100g of fat and sugar i now have 1 carb heavy day where i eat carbs with every meal and 2 protien rich days where i just have carbs with my last meal as again if i have them early in the day im then hungry all day.
The only thing they could come up with when talking to them was that with my new plumbing i have an insulin drop as it passes through.
Im lucky as ive never once been told that i look ill, gaunt or that i shouldnt loose any more weight.Im healthy, told that i look vibrant and feel fantastic.
Ive probably got around a stone of excess skin to come off so if i continue to maintain once thats removed i will have a BMI of 22.5 perfect..
Hope that helps
Carole

Excellent advice caz as always.:553:

Not wishing to be pedantic Gail-Michelle, but you were one of the people who poo-poo'd me for daring to suggest the OP seek professional advice.

If you read the very insightful post hopelesscase made, you will see she did not give advice, she merely detailed her experience. You should also note she sought professional medical advice.

:rolleyes:

Angela
I know you have been struggling with variety and we have shared our experiences since day 1 considering our ops were a day apart with the same surgeon. We have met several times too and i think it might be worth having a word with one of the dietiticians or Mr Ammori himself as i honestly believe part of the problem could be that you are not eating enough and having enough variety. Give me a call if you need me and i won't recognise you the next time we meet lol xx

Hi,

During my pregnancy I really struggled to stop losing weight, and at 9 months pregnant was half a stone lighter than at 6 weeks pregnant! I spoke to my dietician for advice and was told to add an extra milky drink each day and that would be enough. Well it wasn't lol. The following is what I do to maintain my weight -

- drink with meals, this helps to increase the volume you can eat
- eat a higher carb:protein mix. I have carbs with every meal now pretty much.
- eat higher fat meals, maybe not now because of the gall stones but after the op that could be an option? I use butter, full fat cheese etc.
- graze through the day. I keep a bowl of chocolates/sweets next to me and pick through the day. Never enough to dump but gets extra calories in.
- get high calorie supplements on prescription. I had Nestle Resource Shakes which are low lactose ones, and palatable. They have 300cals per 150ml carton so don't fill me up too much volume wise. They also have vits and minerals in which is a bonus. Not enough sugar to make me dump either. I had these more in the pregnancy than now but pre-gall bladder surgery these could work for you.

I find that when I get ill I lose weight, or when I cut out dairy/wheat for my IBS the same happens. I have to do all of the above just to maintain my weight! Sometimes it annoys me as my diet now is actually quite unhealthy, and during my pregnancy was really bad lol, not a vegetable passed my lips unless it was deep fried! So now its about finding a balance that works for me.

The lesson for people newly post op or still losing is don't wait until you get to goal to start working out how to maintain, as it is trial and error and you will probably still lose weight while you work it out.

Personally i have found better advice and answers from post-oppers on this website then i have had from my own dietician or bariatic team. People may not be qualified on paper but are qualified through living with a bypass day after day something our surgical teams may never do.

no i am still stuggling on variety i can eat prawns, cheese nuts seeds,most veg if well/over cooked and mushy but i can eat chicken if v tender and juicy eggs are ok

crunchy thin toast (like melba) a rich tea biscuit now and again
up to 2 chocolate blocks if i watch sugars around the time i eat them so not to dump
i still struggle with yogurts

since the beginning i compensated with 50% nuts to keep my cals and proteins up

Dont know if this will help but i have also found that food combinations also play a vital role on what goes down well and what doesnt.

If im having meat i always have veg or salad with it and alternate the mouthfull i have.

I can eat more protien if i have mashed potato rather than roast or boiled

veg goes down better whan slightly undercooked.

cheese and biscuits go down well with a few grapes eaten in between each mouthful

eggs made into a fritata or omlette are more paletable

if having curry i make a wholemeal chapati to go with it rather than rice

I think the most striking think for me is eating chrispy foods with soft foods or mushy with more solid seems to be the way to get the volume in that i need to be satisfied.

Hope that helps a little
carole

Whatever
Not wishing to be pedantic Gail-Michelle, but you were one of the people who poo-poo'd me for daring to suggest the OP seek professional advice.

If you read the very insightful post hopelesscase made, you will see she did not give advice, she merely detailed her experience. You should also note she sought professional medical advice.

:rolleyes:

ok girls, claws away. lets try and be supportive. we take enough s**** off the thin community without beating up on each other... love n light n all that jazz xxxxxxx

Trying to find the balance to maintain is hard and can be a hard thing to achieve. Talking to others is good to find out what worked for them and then you can try a combination of things to find what works for you. If you are still struggling then you should speak to your dietician and surgical team as they are the professionals. However they are sometimes as much in the dark as most of us when it comes to post op eating.

On another note please can we keep discussions civil and helpful to the op. It is not a place to air personal differences or have slanging matches with others, we are all entitled to our personal opinions, and we don't have to agree with everyone. If it continues the thread will be locked and this is something none of us want happening as it doesn't help anybody.

ok girls, claws away. lets try and be supportive. we take enough s**** off the thin community without beating up on each other... love n light n all that jazz xxxxxxx

Trying to find the balance to maintain is hard and can be a hard thing to achieve. Talking to others is good to find out what worked for them and then you can try a combination of things to find what works for you. If you are still struggling then you should speak to your dietician and surgical team as they are the professionals. However they are sometimes as much in the dark as most of us when it comes to post op eating.

On another note please can we keep discussions civil and helpful to the op. It is not a place to air personal differences or have slanging matches with others, we are all entitled to our personal opinions, and we don't have to agree with everyone. If it continues the thread will be locked and this is something none of us want happening as it doesn't help anybody.

Well said Terri we are here to help each other and yes we are individuals with differing opinions and we can disagree but that can be done in a polite way without getting personal xx

Funny this. I merely suggest she seek professional advice and I'm jumped on.

Then I make amends by asking about a holiday (accidentally since I saw her ticker she's not on holiday in Turkey for another 2 months). Then I'm jumped on.

Then one of the instigators get on her high horse and posts (when she didn't need to) and suggests I need to put my claws away.

We are entitled to differing opinions, but as you say when it gets personal (which in my view I wasn't being personal with anyone merely making a point to one of my most vehement accusors) it does become pointless and silly.

I make no apologies for my original viewpoint. Seeking recipes for healthy food ideas, getting view points from other people etc. is fine. When someone can't stop losing weight it's a different matter entirely and I view it as pretty serious, serious enough to seek professional medical advice above all else (nothing wrong with talking to your peers to find out if they had the same issues) - if you think I'm wrong or out of order or even being *****y for suggesting it then so be it.

I don't hold grudges about people I barely know or more importantly have never met in real life sheesh I'm better than that. If it is impossible to have reasoned intelligent debate without comments like "get your claws back in" I'll read without making comment. Apologies if my idea of seeking professional help, rather than solely relying upon peers opinion, went down like a lead balloon.

Apologies.

CC when I first read your post saying that after looking at Gail's ticker you realised it wasn't her I thought you were having a go at her weight loss, suggesting that she wasn't doing well since her hols. It was only when I read it a few times I realised you meant her holiday ticker. I think others may have read it the same way ;)

I too thought you were commenting on Gails weight loss and not her hols... hence the claws comments...

As for an instigator i've been called a lot of things but that's a first! As you say maybe i should just read and not take part as is the purpose of forums....

Hi,

During my pregnancy I really struggled to stop losing weight, and at 9 months pregnant was half a stone lighter than at 6 weeks pregnant! I spoke to my dietician for advice and was told to add an extra milky drink each day and that would be enough. Well it wasn't lol. The following is what I do to maintain my weight -

- drink with meals, this helps to increase the volume you can eat
- eat a higher carb:protein mix. I have carbs with every meal now pretty much.
- eat higher fat meals, maybe not now because of the gall stones but after the op that could be an option? I use butter, full fat cheese etc.
- graze through the day. I keep a bowl of chocolates/sweets next to me and pick through the day. Never enough to dump but gets extra calories in.
- get high calorie supplements on prescription. I had Nestle Resource Shakes which are low lactose ones, and palatable. They have 300cals per 150ml carton so don't fill me up too much volume wise. They also have vits and minerals in which is a bonus. Not enough sugar to make me dump either. I had these more in the pregnancy than now but pre-gall bladder surgery these could work for you.

I find that when I get ill I lose weight, or when I cut out dairy/wheat for my IBS the same happens. I have to do all of the above just to maintain my weight! Sometimes it annoys me as my diet now is actually quite unhealthy, and during my pregnancy was really bad lol, not a vegetable passed my lips unless it was deep fried! So now its about finding a balance that works for me.

The lesson for people newly post op or still losing is don't wait until you get to goal to start working out how to maintain, as it is trial and error and you will probably still lose weight while you work it out.

Oh Shell, I used to DREAM about being able to eat full fat stuff, carbs with every meal, grazing on sweets and chocolate etc., as you have to now but I can imagine it's a bit of a nightmare if you have to do it to stop losing weight. I hope you're well and got the energy for little Charlie. :553:

Back