• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worried about fills

MissHeather

I have just had my band fitted two days ago- am feeling bloated and uncomfortable but coping ok. The thing that is scaring me is the next step- the fills! I have a seriously major phobia of needles- so much so that it took 4 people to hold me down to get my blood tests done before my op and I think I gave a nurse a serious shock when I screamed and sobbed when she tried to give me a jab after the surgery.

Can someone please explain exactly what happens during a fill- is it painful? How long is the needle in you? the more info I have the better prepared I will be. I know I have to have the fills and want the band to work but am very scared!! Help!:cry:

firstly its not painfull the syring used is very fine, iv never had one done under xray so i can only give the way mine are done. you lay down dr finds port under skin you have to raise your feet up so he can do this for a few seconds, he then pops needle into port it really doesnt hurt , you then sit up with needle in place and drink some water to make sure it goes down ok needle is then removed it takes a few mins at most from start to finish explain when you go about your needle phobia and im sure you will be fine

hi heather i had my first fill last thursday and i too was terrified as im not good with needles either i seriously didnt feel a thing she was finished b4 i had time to panic if you want to see it being done (i did i think im mad!) go on you tube and put in gastric band first fill you can watch it being done you can watch the op as well but your past that bit lol honestly though it really didnt hurt at all xxheather

Hi please don't worry i had my first fill today and i promise you i never felt a thing it was all done and over very quickly.......:)

we dont have aneastetic with a fill, its just a sharp scratch thats all you will be fine x

Thanks guys- I'm so glad I found this forum- it's so useful. I'm sure I'll cope- even if they have to have a nurse hold me down while they do it!! I will check out youtube- thanks for that. ;)

Hi there,

Please do not worry, it's very simple and virtually painless.

I have one a year done under xray to check all is in order but the rest are done in the surgeons office by my surgeon. I have mine in standing position, as this is my preference. Firstly I am asked to drink water and observe how that goes through.

Then he places a very small needle into the port (the worst you will feel is a tiny scratch and sometimes nothing but a tiny amount of pressure) and withdraws all the fluid and asks me to drink again.

Then he fills with saline, adding half mil at a time and getting me to drink between each one until the water does not go through, he then releases it bit by bit until the water goes through normally again.

The most I have ever had added in one go was a mil and it made a massive diffence.

I have had 4 fills now, the last took me to over half full on the band and I still have excellent restriction.

My next one is not until the New year now :)

Hi there,

Please do not worry, it's very simple and virtually painless.

I have one a year done under xray to check all is in order but the rest are done in the surgeons office by my surgeon. I have mine in standing position, as this is my preference. Firstly I am asked to drink water and observe how that goes through.

Then he places a very small needle into the port (the worst you will feel is a tiny scratch and sometimes nothing but a tiny amount of pressure) and withdraws all the fluid and asks me to drink again.

Then he fills with saline, adding half mil at a time and getting me to drink between each one until the water does not go through, he then releases it bit by bit until the water goes through normally again.

The most I have ever had added in one go was a mil and it made a massive diffence.

I have had 4 fills now, the last took me to over half full on the band and I still have excellent restriction.

My next one is not until the New year now :)
i found that quiet interesting different to how mine are done never had one starting in the standing position or drinking befor during and after fill fascinating the different ways they can do it

Back