• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worries approaching op date

gillabean

Really living now!
Hi everyone, just having a wee panic! I can't imagine that I won't be hungry after the op, it can't be that simple, I am always hungry! Will I REALLY not fancy food for the first six months? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? I can't imagine not wanting to eat.

Did everyone really not fancy any food after the op?:confused::confused::confused:

Hi Gillabean

Im 7 weeks post op now, and havent felt true hunger since my op - in fact I feel full most of the time.

BUT - and its a big but - I still have to fight the cravings in my head. These returned for me at about 3 weeks post op although it is obviously different for everyone.

The beauty of the bypass is that I know I cant give in to my cravings, as 1) They could make me dump/be sick and 2) I really couldnt manage to eat any more than Im having anyway.

I do know that it wont always be like this and as time goes on I will be able to eat more volume and a wider variety of foods. In the meantime I am enjoying the rapid weight loss and enjoying the fact that food is no longer the first and last thing I think about each day.

Hi there,

There is physical hunger and head hunger. From what I understand, neither vanish entirely, with either a bypass or a band.

But you will feel satisfied with so much less food.

And that is how it works, and it does work, look at all the wonderful success stories here. I am still so amazed at how small we are all getting.

This op will change your life...for the better...you go girl, this is just a wobble, you will do good and be fine.

Hugs to you xx

Thanks Sam, I don't normally crave stuff (apart from chocolate of course) but I am always hungry.

I SO HOPE THAT THIS WORKS FOR ME. It's been 20 years since I've been slim, my children and friends have NEVER known me other than Mrs Blobby.

Hiya. For the first two weeks I was absolutely starving in my head and by the time I was into my 'mush' stage, it started to go and then disappeared to the point that I had to make myself eat. I didnt think about food, want food, supermarket shopping was a nightmare cause everything I picked up I put down again! Im just over 6 months post op and my appetite is beginning to return I feel but only to the extent that Im actually fancying food rather than craving it. What happens is that the enzymes in your stomach that create hunger are bypassed during the operation - hence no appetite!

It definitely does work hun.I too was always hungry, and now I only eat because I know I have to nourish my body:D

It's such a huge change and difficult to describe how it feels post op but I feel sure you'll manage the change in your thoughts about food and how you perceive it all afterwards. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine x

Hiya,

I'm only a week post op but I promise I have not had any hunger at all. I can only eat half a bowl of thin soup at most and I'm full and half a low cal jelly and I'm stuffed.

I have had a couple of times when I wanted food, like watching my OH eat pizza but I only need to sip half a cup of tea and Im full and happy.

Hope this helps

xxxx

Hi Gillabean,
Thanks for asking the question. I have heard other's experiences so many times but being a doubting Thomas I have never really believed it.

Thanks everyone for reassuring us pre-ops.

Sams right you wont feel hungry and you'll eventually get hold of the head hunger issues.
As for the bypass working - well this isn't a diet, your having your insides re engineered to prevent you from being able to over eat, you cant fail to lose weight ! :D However how much you lose longer term is entirely up to you and your ability to re educate your mind into eating healthier nuticianally balanced meals, with the odd naughty now and then ;)

But dont worry and enjoy the ride, this truelly is life changing stuff !

My experience is much the same as Sam's the head hunger has been difficult at times as i still crave the sweeter things but because i know they will make me ill i will def not give into them. 10 weeks post op i'm gaining in confidence about eating more solid foods and enjoying working towards almost a "normal diet". As SS says you can't fail to lose weight i'm nearly at 4 stone in that 10 weeks! It is a roller coaster but it's the best one ive ever been on. Good luck xx

Sounds absolutely fab Gillabean, can't wait to hear you confirming exactly what the others are saying on here, so i can believe it for myself... xx

Back