• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet - really struggling and feeling anxious

paddyp

I am over half way through the 2nd week of my pre op diet and am scheduled for op on Monday but I am honestly struggling beyond anything I have ever done before. I felt so strong this morning but can't stop crying this afternoon. I am convinced my liver hasn't shrunk and the scales haven't moved for a couple of days. I am not hungry, not one bit but I am very very stressed about food and all the things I won't be able to enjoy after the surgery. I thought I was so mentally prepared for this so why am I finding this so very hard just now.

Are you being banded or something else? I was banded a few weeks ago and already I know it was the right thing to do, I am so happy with my new relationship with food.

Yes I cant go and buy a big baguette from Greggs, but my bum is shrinking, my clothes are baggy and I have more energy than I have had in years, and my moods are great.

I found Pre-op tough. Milk is boring and I was longing for the freedom of the liquid stage to have something savoury or fruity. It is a short time that prepares you as much physcologically as it does physically. Stick with it. You will make it. Just go day by day or even hour by hour.

You made the decision as you wanted to stop being unhealthy and get your life back. Your whole world with food will change, and it needs too, as look where it has got us so far.

After the op and the recovery you will see food differently the pre-op and post-op diet break the cycle of bad decisions with food and make space in your head for a new relationship, you may even start to see food as nutrition more so than anything else, which is fantastic and how I am feeling now.

Chin up, it is worth it, and so are you.

Hey don't feel down. I only lost 6lb pre op, its not about losing weight its just about shrinking your liver....so ignore the scales. You are making such a positive move by having weight loss surgery, just look to the future and try to stay positive. It really is an emotional ride, I'm only 5 weeks post op but I feel amazing....I went to work last nite and the amount of people that complimented how good I was looking was fantastic :)

I am totally with you, last my husband ate a pizza, the smell was torture and l had to stay upstairs, this is the first time I have felt like this, I have managed so well on the pre op diet but am now struggling with less than 2 days to go, my weight loss has also halted, and l am paranoid that my liver has not shrunk, but l have stuck to the diet rigidly.I am also not hungry and the thought is if l can do this why do l need surgery!but l know l do, I have been here so many times before. I am sure everyone would tell us this is normal, but I am so glad we can share our feelings and l am not the only one going through this. Helen

Hang on in there. The end results are worth it.

Being emotional is very understandable. You've made big changes already and you have an op coming up.

If you have stuck to the diet it is VERY unlikely your liver hasn't gone floppy. I believe it's not so much the size of the liver that's the problem as the stiffness of it. It is such a rare occurance that the liver hasn't softened if you've followed the diet please don't worry about it. (Easier said than done I know - I was worried too up until the time I came round after surgery!)

You CAN do this. I am 5 months out and over 5 stone down. This can be you by Christmas xx

the pre-op diet is not about losing weight. It's preparing your liver for surgery, stay off the scales and know you're putting your body into the best place for surgery :)

Thanks all. The difficulty is I am feeling desperate to actually eat something but I am not going to give in. Im not hungry but I am craving something--- anything. I am surprised how this has hit me so suddenly.

Stop thinking that after your surgery you will never be able to enjoy the food you love ever again. You can, just less of it. As others have said, the pre-op isn't about losing weight, it's about your liver shrinking.
Good luck! Xx

I often crave something when I'm emotional... Good on you not to give in. Keep going, I am sure you will be okay. I was panicking about my liver as well, always wished there was a way to find out if it had shrunk... But as people above said, if you stuck to the diet rigidly, I'm sure your liver will be nice and small. Good luck. X

You can do it :) Hang in there surgery will be here before you know it and new beginnings will happen :) Short term of pain for a lifetime of gains in living :)

We all suffer from that internal voice the voice that has hot us into this trouble in the first place "you deserve it" "you only live once "well your fat already so what difference will it make" it will say what we're it thinks will ultimately make u eat.. Ignore it, fight it, do the opposite to what it says and u will be right..

Back