• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worrying about cravings

Retfordmag

I'm due to have a bypass on 9 July.

At present I have a very sweet tooth and my worry is post op how am I going to cope with such cravings.

Anyone else the same? How have you coped. What did you do?

I am 9 months post op and my sweet cravings have come back, have been back a while, it is difficult the only saving grace is the dietician told me to have a tiny piece which has been ok, when i got the craving so thats what i do haven't dumped but she assured me than morethan the small amount and i will defo dump xx hope that helps bit xx

A trick I was told about is that scientifically, cravings pass after 20mins so technically, when you have a craving, distract yourself for 20mins and it will pass :)

Alternatively, you can have some sugar-free sweets on hand just in case, or have sugar-free jelly for dessert with every meal or so to keep your cravings low through habituation (I like big words and I cannot lie ;) ).

Retfordmag said:
I'm due to have a bypass on 9 July.

At present I have a very sweet tooth and my worry is post op how am I going to cope with such cravings.

Anyone else the same? How have you coped. What did you do?

I didn't have a sweet tooth before but do now! Five years on, it's a matter of balancing it out - have a little, as deprivation never worked for me. The more I stayed away the more I wanted it. Now if I do want something I have it and move on. Cross the bridge when you come to it, you may wake up not having a sweet tooth!! You never can tell.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Sainsburys no added sugar chocolate, keep it in squares in the fridge or freezer, perfect :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I had major sweet tooth only had sugar free sweets since and only two small packets since end of Jan - will not touch anythi.g else for fear of dumping - or rather not dumping! Not overly bothered though as the thrill of getting slim is addictive!

I had and still have a massive sweet tooth, I had my bypass 3 months ago and I still eat sweet stuff albeit just a very small amount it's enough to satisfy me. I don't think I've ever dumped, with certain foods I feel a little rough. Good luck with your op :)

You could get your sweetness from the natural sugars in fruit every day. I find if i do this ive satisfied the sweet craving and if i go a day or two without fruit im really craving anything sweet.

Kim

Hi all hope you dont mind my asking but what on earth does 'dumped' or 'dumping' mean? Ive heard it a lot on here but no idea what it is xx

After bypass the body can reject overly sweet or fatty food, causing pain, nausea, dizzyness, sweats and a runny tummy - not pleasant the fear us enough to stop me eating sweet foods!

Ohh right I never knew that! Is it just with a bypass? XX

Hi all hope you dont mind my asking but what on earth does 'dumped' or 'dumping' mean? Ive heard it a lot on here but no idea what it is xx

Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the upper end of the small intestine, the duodenum, expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (substances with increased osmolarity) food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins concurrently or immediately succeeding a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. The syndrome is most often associated with gastric surgery.
It is speculated that "early" dumping is associated with difficulty digesting fats while "late" dumping is associated with carbohydrates.[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed

Do you mind if I ask if your a private or NHS patient Retfordmag ? And where your having your op ?

NHS, I am through Doncaster and Bassetlaw PCT but was referred to Sheffield (although they now perform bariatric surgery at Doncaster)

I see you are with Mr Ackroyd also , he seems to do most of his ops at the Thornbury rather than Northern General

I had major sweet tooth only had sugar free sweets since and only two small packets since end of Jan - will not touch anythi.g else for fear of dumping - or rather not dumping! Not overly bothered though as the thrill of getting slim is addictive!

Lucy

Think this is how I am feeling/thinking - scare myself out of eating sweet stuff lol

Hi I had a really sweet tooth before bypass and I find it really difficult to take in anything sweet I am constantly trying to find drinks that are bitter, as all no added sugar squash is too sweet. I hope your op goes well also if you need anything sweet have a flavoured milkshake that might help.

Back