• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worst Sliders

Mynewlife

I know I may sound thick, and as I have had my band over a year, probably should know, but can any seasoned banders tell me what are the worst types of slider foods? I am sure that I am probably having some that I should cut out, so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

MNL:rolleyes:

Ice cream
chocolate
high calorie drinks
Any liquid foods like soups etc
crisps and biscuits

There are cases though where one food is a slider for someone and others can't even tolerate it. Like mash potatoes.

I do eat quite a bit of homemade soup, I thought it would be ok and a good way to get my 5 a day, so to speak. I thought chocolate would be out. What about slimmer soups. I never really measure my soup because I just figured it was healthy, and low fat and not too bad for me.

I truly appreciate any advice you give me, as the more information and educated I am, the more successful I will be.

MNL:p

Problem with soups is they go straight through the band so you eat a lot more as you don't get band restriction.

You are betting having steam veg and meat. to get your 5 a day and are much denser so will give you restriction.

I do eat quite a bit of homemade soup, I thought it would be ok and a good way to get my 5 a day, so to speak. I thought chocolate would be out. What about slimmer soups. I never really measure my soup because I just figured it was healthy, and low fat and not too bad for me.

I truly appreciate any advice you give me, as the more information and educated I am, the more successful I will be.

Hi MNL

Home made soups are fine, just make sure they are chunky with protien in them as well as lots of lovely veg.

Any mushy or smooth food will slip through the band and will not stave off the hunger. High fat foods such as crisps and chocolate or pastries also will pass through.

Maz

Hiya soontobethinsue

I really appreciate your help. What kind of meat do you eat? I can only seem to manage mince. what sort of vegetables do you eat, do you steam all of your vegtables? do you eat mash at all?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions.

MNL:eek:

A slider food is an old food friend that tastes really good in the mouth and feels good in the stomach and does not cause the slight discomfort of restriction. A slider food can be consumed in unchecked quantity without immediately contributing to weight gain. A slider food has trace nutritional value and does not satisfy and keep you feeling full for 4+ hours.

Such foods can be:

Meat in sauces
Cottage cheese
Soups
Smoothies
Weetabix made runny
Crisps
Chocolate
Cake

A lot of this we are advised to eat just after op, but once the solid food stage has been reached, we should not go back to these.

Hiya Caz (again)
how come crisps are slider foods? I find it really strange that I can eat crips, although I am not a big crisp person, never really have been, but on ocassions I have had a packet, and can manage to eat them, which I find really odd.

Thanks

Crisps are sliders??? I did not realise that....not an everyday think for me but over the 3 weekend nights I might have one packet on 2 nights. The normal size though not big ones.

What about things like chips? I need a list of sliders!

Crisps are sliders??? I did not realise that....not an everyday think for me but over the 3 weekend nights I might have one packet on 2 nights. The normal size though not big ones.

What about things like chips? I need a list of sliders!

Chips are too, think we need a sticky for this subject!

sliders for me are as follows...

ice cream
chocolate
custard
mashed potatoe
sauce based meals such as curry spag bol and chilli, these are better and less of a slider on a jacket pot.
rice crispies.
mayo
salad cream
egg mayo.
cheese.
soup.
cream cakes.

Crisps are sliders because they chew down to nothing, are covered in fat, which help them slide and have no nutritional value.

I don't like crisps, they taste too greasy and I don't like the flavours on them, they taste too artificial.

Crisps are sliders because they chew down to nothing, are covered in fat, which help them slide and have no nutritional value.

I don't like crisps, they taste too greasy and I don't like the flavours on them, they taste too artificial.

crisps are really bad for banders i agree with you caz they are pointless, banders wont lose weight if they graze on crisps because they are easy to eat, banders that eat crisps will lose weight slower than banders that dont.

p.s everyone try to keep away from the evil pringles they are the worst offenders for people not losing and they are the most adictive as well x

Hiya soontobethinsue

I really appreciate your help. What kind of meat do you eat? I can only seem to manage mince. what sort of vegetables do you eat, do you steam all of your vegtables? do you eat mash at all?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions.

MNL:eek:

No worries with all the questions. I eat chicken, gammon and minced pork. I steam all my veg (you can get the bags of pre prepared veg and steam in the microwave for quickness). Yes I do eat mash but I don't add any butter or milk. I also like to add sweed and carrot to the mash.

Thank you all for the replies. Some of these slider foods, are just devils in disguise. I, luckily enough, dont eat a lot of crisps, so cutting them out will not be a problem. It was quite eye opening to see that some of the foods mentioned were bad sliders. The comment from Liz about putting things like chilli etc on a jacket potato to make it not so much of a slider was great. At the moment though, I dont eat jacket potatoes. I used to eat them almost every day for lunch but since about April have not had one at all.

Thank you once again for everyone who replied. Thanks especially to Caz and Soontobethinsue for the help

MNL:rolleyes:

Back