• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worst things you've experienced????

Worst things, hmmm got me thinking now:

Recovery room: throwing up for 3 hours after surgery despite sickness drugs. I have a particular problem with Entonox (Gas stuff).

Drive home: OH breaking suddenly in car. Felt my insides were going to fall out and hit the windscreen. I cried.

Gas: Horrible horrible horrible. Gripe water was DISGUSTING - I now have real sympathy for babies.

Constipation.

Every thing else is great - head hunger affects me sometimes but not too badly. Very pleased with everything. x

fab thread meg x

I read this thread last night and had to go away and sleep on it. I really cant think of a negative my journey has been so positive.
The one thing i would say and it would of happened whether it had been surgery or weight loss through other means is the excess skin. But even that im learning to accept in a fashion.
carole

The worst thing for me is the nausea. It happens quite a lot when I eat. Last night was just awful - I was supposed to go out and had to cancel. I think its because I'm trying to progress my food stages too quickly. A tiny piece of roast pork just didn't agree with me so tonight I'm back to my old faithful - half a faggot and a tiny bit of mashed potato. I'm not one of those lucky people who can vomit on demand so the feeling lasts for ages. Ugh. I eat, then stop before I feel full and about 5 minutes later it starts - my mouth fills with water and I have to disappear into the bathroom to keep spitting it out. Then, if I'm lucky, I throw up a little bit: but usually I don't and the sick feeling persists for about half an hour with accompanying pain in the chest. I know its not stuck food because it happened with yogurt a couple of days ago. I really hope it settles down. Mxx

The worst thing for me is the nausea. It happens quite a lot when I eat. Last night was just awful - I was supposed to go out and had to cancel. I think its because I'm trying to progress my food stages too quickly. A tiny piece of roast pork just didn't agree with me so tonight I'm back to my old faithful - half a faggot and a tiny bit of mashed potato. I'm not one of those lucky people who can vomit on demand so the feeling lasts for ages. Ugh. I eat, then stop before I feel full and about 5 minutes later it starts - my mouth fills with water and I have to disappear into the bathroom to keep spitting it out. Then, if I'm lucky, I throw up a little bit: but usually I don't and the sick feeling persists for about half an hour with accompanying pain in the chest. I know its not stuck food because it happened with yogurt a couple of days ago. I really hope it settles down. Mxx

Marion that sounds like classic trapped wind. Caused by eating too quickly or taking too big a bite. Can happen with just one mouthful of food, doesn't take much! Are you taking bites no bigger than the rubber on top of a pencil and chewing till liquid?

what a brilliant thread!

I have had problems with nausea but no vomiting thank goodness. The sickness comes and goes but for the first few days was bad. I ended up in A&E because of severe dehydration - they gave me anti-sickness and 2ltrs fluid and I came home 6 hours later feeling better.

Apart from that, lethargy/tiredness/no energy, whatever description is used. I am reminded by my doctors that I am no spring chicken and need to rest and recuperate and have patience :)

Im only 20 days post op but for me the worst thing was regretting my decision in the first week or so. It really did suddenly occur to me that I could never again buy a really tasty cake and munch it down or buy a chocolate bar and scoff it all and then feel all happy and satisfied but you know what, I never felt happy and satisfied doing that pre op and once my emotions stabilised post op I was very very happy with my decision, now when I think of what I cant do and cant have I am happy about it because I really did want all of that crap to stop and now I have no regret.
My other little thing was that I was struggling with food for a few days as I was being a little too adventurous and I became seriously scared of food and then a few days ago I thought nope, not gonna let this happen and I took control back, have now started to be more sensible with the food (still on sloppies) and the fear, whilst not totally gone, has come under control and I feel much better about it.
The 'worst' things seem to be the smallest of things and you know what, its all worth it, the first time you try something on that hasnt fitted for a while and it is baggy, or when you first notice a bone that you hadnt felt for years (hip bone for me) it feels soooooo good and I personally have had moments of pure joy and that makes every bit of struggle worth it.
Steph xx

This is probably one of the best threads ever. Thank you.

Im with Teen! Constipation is awful! The worst body ailment Ive ever had!

Everything else is cool :)

Marion that sounds like classic trapped wind. Caused by eating too quickly or taking too big a bite. Can happen with just one mouthful of food, doesn't take much! Are you taking bites no bigger than the rubber on top of a pencil and chewing till liquid?

Thanks Shell, its pretty much what I suspected - after a lifetime of eating quickly its very difficult to slow down and be careful - but that's what I must do. I shall try to be ladylike from now on! Mxx

I've been away from the computer for a couple of days (had my sleep study last night) and have just read through all of the posts!! Thanks everyone for sharing!! As much as I don't want to think of the negative aspects of this op, I definitely need to know what to expect!!! As I've nearly had all of my appointments I feel like I'm inching closer to the operating table!!

Thanks everyone!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had a 99.999999999% positive experience. I had an easy surgery and an easy recovery, never had food problems and had little pain overall. I love my bypass with all my heart but in an effort to fully disclose here are my top 'worst' but remember they are so small as to be almost invisible to the naked eye!

1. Foul & unpredicatble wind, yes I fart and it is smelly and I really don't know when it will happen so watch out! Certain foods are predicatble triggers like beans & raw veg but other times I really don't know what causes it.
2. Post-op fatigue, mine lasted about 4 weeks, I needed lots of naps but really was more due to my inactive lifestyle not the bypass.
3. Feeling dizzy when rising, it has mostly passed now that I am near goal but sometimes the dizziness threatens my ability to be upright!
4. Loose skin, it is a fact and I have lots. However the longer I have had to come to terms with it plus the blessing of magic knickers, I feel like I am getting used to it.
5. Abundant compliments, I am not being funny here, it just really feels weird when strangers compliment me on my weight loss, my figure & my looks - I was pretty sure I loved me and thought well of myself but the compliments are tougher to take than I thought.

That is it really and I have to say that I really had to think on it to come up with those small things.

Nic;)

I'm only 17 days post-op so I am sure there will be lots of things ariving that I am not happy about, but so far I had a good operation experience and fantastic recovery. Apart from a slightly weepy drain wound, but that is fine now.

First few days at home were fine, coped with liquid diet as I know it was not for long and managed to start my walking program.

However, the sloppy food stage sucks! I didn't realise how much the variation in food textures meant to me. There are some foods like porridge that I have always liked, and still do. But, not sloppy at every meal. I have taken a unilateral decision to try chopping food where possible and chew, chew, chewing it. So far it is working well and I get to feel meat rather than drinking it. It is only a small thing, but it means I can see my way through the next 2-3 weeks without climbing the walls! The next progression for me will be soft foods, but I think that is what I am on now, so I will probably push the pouch a bit more.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, it is a fascinating thread. Thanks Meggie!

John

That has all been really informative and useful. Thanks to everyone who contributed x

fabulous thread, some of whats written has been a real eye opener, but nothing has put me off.
thanks to all

Brilliant thread for all us pre-oppers!
Thanks everyone x

Back