• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worth buying protein powder?

brooke_marie

Hi everyone,

Went in Boots today (to get some No7 bargains!) and had a look at the protein/health section. Saw that they had massive tubs of chocolate protein powder etc. Would it be worth me getting one these for my post-op diet? It was quite expensive (£45) If it is worth buying, can anyone recommend a certain type/brand or from a certain shop?

A lot of people on here have said it is worth it. Wilkinsons have a large tub of chocolate and a large tub of strawberry for about £28. There's also my protein . Com which seems good, I've yet to buy any myself though.

Kirsty

I've just ordered some small sample size whey protein mixes off my protein.com thought if try the small ones rather than risk buying a huge tub that I either didn't like or couldn't drink :)

Everyone has different tastes and don't forget that your tastes may well change after surgery. There was one protein shake that I loved before and can't stomach now ... Just the smell of it makes me feel sick!

I had thought about stocking up on the brand I liked but am glad I didn't waste my money. I did, however, buy in lots of sample size packs to find the best flavours/brands for me.

Hi all I'm 3 weeks post op and on puréed diet and I haven't as yet bought protein shakes although I've read they are good for sleeve patients I am still eating tiny amounts gradually increasing and sipping fluids which is getting better I used to love tea now don't like it which is weird but I'm trying my best I'm wondering to sample some protein shakes do u greatly benefit from them ?

I have an unflavoured one so I can add it to anything. The first thing I learnt in nurse training was you need protein to heal and rebuild. I've had one scoop a day with a weight watches yogurt and 200mls of skimmed milk halved for a morning and afternoon snack and it's really helped my recovery. Got my whey protein isolate from myprotein.com for £20 for 1 kg. hope that helps.

Deffo try before you buy! We all have different tastes and our banded / sleeved / bypassed tums become far more sensitive post op.

I have tried a large variety and all bar one have made me physically sick :jelous:

The worst for me were the my protein ones, my favourite are PHD diet whey.

£45 is a lot of money to waste too ;) x

Reflex diet protien is a good one. I definately would't 45 pound on one you aren't sure if you like. You can get smaller portions of some at holland and barret, some even ready made and in small bottle. You can also get some flavourless ones as suggested and add it to puree. I highly recommend it whilst you recover and struggle to get enough protein by other means.

I've read a few providers post bypass diet pdf's
All state to use milk protein like marvel to increase protein. I think 4 tablespoons per 1 pint of skimmed milk doubles the protein content.
They also state the sports type protein powders and shakes are expensive and full of extra carbs you don't need.
I have in the past used many different branded and très expensive powders for making protein shakes but found they taste so powdery and artificial that I've never finished a tub!

I'm going to try marvel following my bypass. It's cheap enough to waste if I don't like it!!
Failing that I'll be dropping a raw egg in the blender with milk and sugar free syrup flavour ;-)

Marvel milk contains 30 grams of sugar per pint. I'm not sure how many scoops that is though. You could try 1 scoop or half. Most diet protein shakes contain less sugar, around 3 grams per scoop.

Another good way to get protein is to boil up some silk tofu and blend it into puree. You won't taste it and it packed with protein, no worries about the carbs either.

I've read a few providers post bypass diet pdf's All state to use milk protein like marvel to increase protein. I think 4 tablespoons per 1 pint of skimmed milk doubles the protein content. They also state the sports type protein powders and shakes are expensive and full of extra carbs you don't need. I have in the past used many different branded and très expensive powders for making protein shakes but found they taste so powdery and artificial that I've never finished a tub! I'm going to try marvel following my bypass. It's cheap enough to waste if I don't like it!! Failing that I'll be dropping a raw egg in the blender with milk and sugar free syrup flavour ;-)

Perhaps sleevers require extra carbs???? Ignore me. I replied to this thread as a soon to be bypasser and I've no clue of the sleever post diet !!!! I really should take note of the thread areas I'm adding to ;-0

I'm a bypasser. Didn't notice it was a sleever thread either :) but as far as I'm aware I think the general idea of low carb high protein is important for most wls.

Last edited:
I only ever have the diet protein shakes, very low carb, low fat and high protein. Check the label before you buy but there are plenty out there.

There are high carb shakes too but they're more for the hardcore body builders who want to bulk up. I bet they taste nice though - lol.

I'm a sleever ;0)
I was told complan or build up. I bought complan in bulk to last 3 weeks and it went straight thru (sorry) so had to buy a few others to try.

I lost about three stones last summer using the Phd Belgian chocolate diet whey product and found amazon was the best place to get it from with the free super saver delivery and when made in a blender with slightly less water makes outstanding mousse....

to in"thin"ety and beyond...... regards Trev

the hospital suggested marvel and complan to me. after checking the ingredients and nutritional information i put it back on the shelves

Back