• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones

Sambucca

Hello

I have had a scan today which confirms I have gallstones. Thankfully, I have no complications, blockages etc, but I have had 5 or 6 episodes now of excruciating pain.

I have to wait 7 - 10 days for the scan results to get to my GP before I can discuss it with him, but I would rather avoid surgery for now if I can, as I am still obese and if it is deemed that I need surgery I would rather wait till I get to a healthy weight. Of course, if any complications develop then I will have to reconsider, but I would rather just control the pain for now than put my body through further trauma.

So, those of you with gallstones, what pain relief do you use when you get a gallbladder "attack". Have you had to change the pain relief since your bypass? Would really appreciate your answers so I am better informed when I see the Dr.

I had gallstones a couple of years ago and they triggered off a series of awful events in my life. Not because of the pain or anything but bacuse of the addiction to the opiate based medication (codiene / co-codamol / solpadol) I was given for the pain.
These pain killers were fantastic. So fantastic that I used to take them for period pains, headaches and if I couldn't sleep.
Until I realised after a couple of years of being on them (my dr put them on repeat prescription) that I couldn't function without them.
I told my dr that I was worried about my dependence on the codiene and she did nothing.
This all came to a head when my husband (thank god) realised that there was something wrong as I was out of it most of the time.
I turned to self harm to make sure that I still had the ability to feel pain.
I am very lucky that this was sorted out thanks to a family intervention, a good therapist and a wonderful husband. It took me 3 months to get clean and I wish I could get back the time with my son that I spent in my codiene induced haze.
So if I were you, I'd have your gall bladder out and get it over and done with because you never know what might happen.
I'm not saying that his happens to everyone and I know it's a long story cut very short but I try and make people aware that "normal" people can suffer from drug addiction - in a most acceptable form.
Sorry for the ramblings but this is a subject close to my heart!

i am awaiting a scan for gall stones!
Had them years ago but was deemed too obese to operate on then. Still two stone heavier than that now. But am optimistic will be okay.
Hope you are okay Sam and hope the pain eases. I was okay once I realised my "trigger" food years ago - cheese and tomato soup (not necessarily together). i drunk lots of warm water to make me wretch and that worked for me!

In all honesty Sam, when i had gallstones no pain relief gave relief.....

I'd have them whipped out as soon as you can. Personally i'd rather give birth to a baby elephant than have gallstone trouble again..... x

Sorry about your stones i have heard they can be very painfull. Hope you can get them sorted really soon. Janey

Hi,

I am a pre opper, but I have gallstones. My last big attack was in June 2003 (touchwood nothing major since). I was admitted into hospital for 4 days with acute Collic cistitis (infection of the gallbladder).

Before that though I had milder attacks, which usually last 4 hours. The best thing I found was diclefenic (prescription only sorry). I know not everyone can take it because of side effects and not sure if a post opper could but worth speaking to your GP about. The pain would subside to a manageable ache and go within 30 mins with the tablets.

Some people use Gaviscon which I never found helpful. The other thing is raw tomatoes always set me off. I can have a couple of cherry toms and cooked one's but other than that eeekkk. I have been told it's because we can't digest the seeds.

Hope that helps

Paula XX

Some really helpful replies so far, thanks all. I guess having surgery to remove the GB is the only long term solution, but I really would prefer to avoid surgery at this stage, unless the GP has a strong opinion one way or the other. If I do have surgery, I dont know if I would be better trying to get back onto Mr Khan's waiting list at Walsall,or having the op locally... decisions decisions...

So Codeine and Diclofenac have been suggested as pain relief so far. Does anyone know if these are both suitable for bypassers, or does anyone take any other medication to treat their gallstones?

I had mine out at Selly Oak Hospital Sam, no problems and consultant was lovely xx

Sam post opers can't have diclofenac. It would be best if Mr Khan did the op, he said to me that a surgeon who knows nothing about bypasses can cause damage to the replumbing as things sit in a slightly different place post op. If you explain this to your gp he can arrange to get you reffered back to Mr Khan. x x x

Thanks Terri. Are you taking any meds for yours at the minute?

Hi sorry to hear your having probs. I had mine removed afew yrs ago now and still remember the pain. Only had 3 huge attacks left me in hosp all times then had out fairly quickly after 3rd attack. I would say to have removed as they can travel and cause blockages which happened to me and that is painfull.
Sending you big hugs

xx

Sorry to hear about this Sam, hope it settles down so you don't have to have the surgery for a while

Hi Sam sorry to hear your having gallstone probs. I have them too, my initial referral was for joint wls and gall bladder removal but my surgeon doesnt do the both together and wanted to focus on the wls. I am still waiting to have the gallbladder removed. Have had a couple of episodes since wls but tbh I have never taken pain relief specifically for it.

You cant have diclofenic acid though as it is a non steroidal anti inflamatory (nsaid). I am currently on tramadol for other pain and cocodamol but I hate taken tablets and lets face it we have enough to take anyway with all our vits :| and all my other meds. The doc gave me a 7 day release patch last week of buprenorphine which is some kind of morphine derivative but tbh it was as much use as a chocolate fire guard for me anyway so i took it off and went back onto tramadol.

The codeine is fine for bypassers, it is usually the second port of call after paracetamol.

I know how you feel about whether to get it done or not, when its not playing up I am loath to have the op, but when it starts up I think s*** I wish they would hurry take this out.

Hope it gets resolved soon Xx

hi sa i had my gall bladder removed 22 yrs ago and tbh at the time nothing really touched the pain.
As you know im waiting for a mri scan to see if i have developed bile stones in my bile duct.
my gp has prescribed me seprate paracetomol codiene and tramadol so i can esculate the strength of pain killer accordingly.
diclofenac /voltrol are no good for bypassers as nsai's

Hi Sam(big hugs :()
sorry to hear your news, i hope you can get some relief from GP, untill you feel more ready for surgery.x

Hi all,

The only pain relief I had that worked was gas & air and morphine, other then that there was nothing until I had my gallbladder removed, I was admitted into hospital 3 seperate weeks last year and twice the year before all for 7-10 days, and once I had the op and initial re-coup period over time I have gone back to normal, there are some things I am told to avoid still, cheese, high fatty stuff (real high) but other then that its all normal for me , and I wouldnt wish gallstones on anyone at all. Good luck in wot u decide sam x x

Back