• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Jackie's post sleeve diary

I popped laughing cow light triangles into my puree to add extra calcium and protein and tried to include milk and greek yogurt each day. It was a little tricky as I was a bit sensitive to milk in the first few weeks. I had lots of puréed salmon too.
I had the same concerns Jackie in the early days but when they called me from the hospital for the post op check (mine was 2 weeks though the said it would be within 7 days!) they told me not to worry too much about calories and protein at that stage, just to manage what I could while healing.
Once you get back to a 'normal' diet you'll find it easier, it just takes a while.

I can't believe how the time has flown over. Hubby back to work now so on my own today. Have not been able to sleep with the TED stockings on so he woke me up at 4.30 to put them on for me before he went to work bless him! I hate these things, can't wait until I can stop wearing them!
Anyway, feeling much better over the last couple of days but still really tired. I went to bed at 7.30 last night!!! Eating and drinkning are ok but I wish I new how to interpret all the gurgling and bubbling noises. It's like learning a new language LOL! Still managing about 300 calories and about 1 Litre of fluid but hoping to build up on that.
I am seeing the Practice Nurse for a wound check today but they are all healing so well.
Hope everyone is doing ok!
Jackie
Xx

Jackie. I have to admit I forced myself to start walking within a few days so that I could get rid of those stockings. I had a band which is less invasive but I was walking three times a day after a Week I believe once we are back to being active we don't need to wear them. But providers are different

How time has flown for you. I remember you used to visit my diary way back and you were just starting out :)

Take care xx

Jackie. I have to admit I forced myself to start walking within a few days so that I could get rid of those stockings. I had a band which is less invasive but I was walking three times a day after a Week I believe once we are back to being active we don't need to wear them. But providers are different

How time has flown for you. I remember you used to visit my diary way back and you were just starting out :)

Take care xx

It has gone so quick Kirsty. I love your diary it has always been so inspirational! I could not have got through this without the information and advice from the likes of yourselves. Thank you so much xxxx

That's knd Jackie. Certainly those following my diary get a good reality check on how hard this WL journey can be. Sometimes. I lost fed up being so negative but that's how it is cans despite my problems I still don't regret having my band xx

Hi
Just wanted to check in. I am consuming about 300 calories with about 1Litre of fluid still. Should I be eating more? It is so hard to judge what the right quantities are. I had some pureed cottage pie last night, Oh my god, was horrendous the pain it caused. Wont be having that for a while! My wounds are healing lovely, the hardest thing is still the tiredness, so overwhelming!
I am blessed that so far there have been no problems. I would however, just to feel happy that what I am eating is correct. I cant say I am enjoying the pureed but thankful that it is for a short time.
Any thoughts welcome
Jackie
xx

Hey jackie. Just popping by to show some love on your diary. It's great that you're doing so great though this is not news anyway. You have been handling the whole journey in a very admirable way from the offset. Keep up the good work hun and keep losing xxx

Hi Jackie
You're doing well. As I understand it the most important thing at this stage is to keep hydrated and just eat what you can. If your body's telling you it's had enough then I would listen. So long as you're not eating liquidised mars bars and having relatively normal healthy stuff (protein!!) I wouldn't worry. Remember your body has loads of reserves...!
However bear in mind I'm not a doctor etc...

Hi Jackie
You're doing well. As I understand it the most important thing at this stage is to keep hydrated and just eat what you can. If your body's telling you it's had enough then I would listen. So long as you're not eating liquidised mars bars and having relatively normal healthy stuff (protein!!) I wouldn't worry. Remember your body has loads of reserves...!
However bear in mind I'm not a doctor etc...

Thanks Venture, it's reassuring. Liquidising Mars Bars ha ha, do you think anyone would actually be stupid enough to do this? I had fish last night for tea and felt really ill, I don't think it had pureed enough! Lesson learned, it was horrific.
You are doing so well, I find your diary really helpful.
Keep up the good work
Jackie

Hey jackie. Just popping by to show some love on your diary. It's great that you're doing so great though this is not news anyway. You have been handling the whole journey in a very admirable way from the offset. Keep up the good work hun and keep losing xxx

Aw that's so kind of you Jay but not so confident ha ha. I had fish in sauce for tea last night and I felt really ill! I had not pureed it enough I think. It is so hard to puree small amounts.
Anyway, how you doing?
Have a lovely weekend
Jackie
xx

You are doing really well Jackie. As V says don't focus too much on calories at this stage, fluids and protein are the most important things. Make sure your purees are quite sloppy too. Milky coffee is a good way to get protein and fluid as well.

Lynn x

You are doing really well Jackie. As V says don't focus too much on calories at this stage, fluids and protein are the most important things. Make sure your purees are quite sloppy too. Milky coffee is a good way to get protein and fluid as well.

Lynn x

Thanks for this Lynn, I don't think they have been sloppy enough to be honest. I think I am going to do a few days liquids as in soup etc. What kind of things were you having at the puree stage if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks again
Jackie

Jackie. Don't worry about your food I ntake just yet. It's too early - you just need to concentrate on recovery. You protein is important to speed up recovery. High quality protein drinks would help with than and your calories. Some are too thick. So e have too much sugar or sweetener in them. I like the Ufit from the chill counter at tesco. They are around 180 calories each and have 22g of protein. They are not too sweet and have a nice thin consistency

Another great tool I found was baxters highland game soup. It has 24g protein per can - baxters are in speyside in our highlands so I don't know if they stock supermarkets south of the border but it might be worthwhile searching online

Some lentil soup or cauliflower cheese soup would give you protein too and go down nice and easy. I will try to post a picture of the cauliflower cheese soup recipie. I would add more cheese

Not all providers would have you on purée yet. So if your body is telling you to take it easy, that's what to do

You will feel exhausted till you can get your calories up but that will take time. Xxxx

Thanks for this Lynn, I don't think they have been sloppy enough to be honest. I think I am going to do a few days liquids as in soup etc. What kind of things were you having at the puree stage if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks again
Jackie

I had whizzed up cottage pie with extra gravy, cod in parsley sauce, Heinz Big Soups. I could usually get 2 or 3 meals out of them. Didn't like tuna at that stage, even in spring water it tasted really salty to me. Oh and cauliflower whizzed with Laughing Cow cheese. Lots of yogurt too

Lynn x

Jackie. Don't worry about your food I ntake just yet. It's too early - you just need to concentrate on recovery. You protein is important to speed up recovery. High quality protein drinks would help with than and your calories. Some are too thick. So e have too much sugar or sweetener in them. I like the Ufit from the chill counter at tesco. They are around 180 calories each and have 22g of protein. They are not too sweet and have a nice thin consistency

Another great tool I found was baxters highland game soup. It has 24g protein per can - baxters are in speyside in our highlands so I don't know if they stock supermarkets south of the border but it might be worthwhile searching online

Some lentil soup or cauliflower cheese soup would give you protein too and go down nice and easy. I will try to post a picture of the cauliflower cheese soup recipie. I would add more cheese

Not all providers would have you on purée yet. So if your body is telling you to take it easy, that's what to do

You will feel exhausted till you can get your calories up but that will take time. Xxxx

Thanks Kirsty this is brilliant. I am going to buy some protein drinks today and I will look for the Baxters game soup. I really appreciate your help. It's such a confusing time. The recipe would be brilliant if you can find it.
Thanks again Kirsty
Have a great weekend
Jackie xxx

Back