• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ruth's Story!

831phil

Hi, some of you will know I joined here a couple of weeks ago now and have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories! My story is very similar to a lot of you - overweight child, turned to food when I was bullied about my weight, which made me bigger. Developed polycystic ovaries and also have an underactive thyroid and type 2 diabetes!! Bit of a wreck really arent I?

I have tried every single diet you can mention - and I am absolutely brilliant for about 3-4 weeks - and can lose nearly 2 stone in that time - but I have so much to lose that no-one notices, I get fed up of not feeling I am getting anywhere and turn back to food - vicious circle!

I initially thought about surgery about 3 years ago and looked into it privately as I hate going to the GP and thought they would laugh me out of the surgery anyway!!

Having had severe cellulitis a couple of years ago, and nearly losing my leg, I have decided enough is enough - I need to grab my life back before its too late!! I plucked up the courage and before Christmas I went to see my GP - a new lady - and she was lovely - very supportive, didnt criticise me about my weight and said she really wanted to help me etc.. So here I am, reading all these wonderful stories and wondering whether this really is going to be the time I transform my life!! I want my two children to be proud of their mum, I want to be able to do all the things I have missed out on with them over the last 12 years! I have a "goal list" and I will do every single thing on that list, from water parks, to Alton Towers, to paragliding - and I cant wait!!

3 weeks ago I was told I had got the funding and today a letter dropped through my door inviting me to my first "information meeting" with a group of 10 other people. Its the 11th April and its the start of the rest of my life!! Cant wait to update you further in the future xxxx

Hi Ruth welcome to the forum, like you say your story matches so many of ours.

Congratulations on getting your funding, do you know what surgery you want yet? Whichever it is there are lots of people here that can help and advise you.

Good luck with you journey xx

Well done for taking that step, and Congrats on the funding, as that's often the hardest part! Which hospital will you be under?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Ruth - Really pleased that you plucked up the courage to see your GP and ask for help!

It was obviously something you need with your health problems; reasons why they approved funding.

I wish you all the best of luck and happiness for the future; and hope you don`t have to wait too long for surgery hun x

Soon enough you will be on the losers bench and whizzing around Alton Towers with your family.

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

Hi, its the bypass I have been approved for! They wouldnt give funding for the band. I am hoping to be under Dr Ammori at The Spire but we will see. My first information event is there on the 11th April! Fingers crossed. xx

Welcome Ruth. I had my bypass at the Spire under Mr Li. I had requested Mr Ammori but due to varying reasons I ended up with Mr Li. I have to say that I have been more than happy with my treatment there and my ongoing weight loss.

Hi Mazzer - notice you are from Manchester - are you hoping for the Spire??

Congrats hun - here's to a great and exciting journey! x

Well, bit of an update for you. Went to the Information meeting today at The Spire - it was excellent! The main nurse who led the morning was really lovely and it was very informal. We then met the dietician who went through the pre-op diets and post-op diets! We were all then given an information pack which included a letter for a one-to-one appointment/assessment and mine is next Tuesday 19th - all seems to be happening very quickly! Which is very exciting!! We are actually away but happy to travel the 150 miles back to get my weight loss journey going! Been told to start eating healthily today as could get appointment to see the Surgeon in about 3-4 weeks and he could then say "surgery in two weeks" so need to be prepared! Will keep you updated!!

Sounds brilliant Ruth! Really pleased for you x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

:welcome2: xxx

Another update - been to see the bariatric nurses today - did all the bloods, ECG etc.. and had really good chat with the dietician and I have to say I love the Team - I feel like I am going to be in very safe hands! They reckon I will receive an appointment to see the Consultant in a couple of weeks and then the op could be just a couple of weeks after that - it really is moving very very fast. I thought I would be waiting for months! I cannot wait to begin life on the loser's bench, although I was shocked to find out I had lost 10lbs in the last couple of weeks - I have been focussed on the appointment today and didnt want to weigh more than my referral letter!! Yay me!!

Thats brilliant news Ruth, Good Luck with your journey x

well done on your loss!!!!! and good luck for a quicky!!!!!!! lol

Well done!!! Great steps nearer to a new life for you and your family :)

Back