• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 hrs waiting for surgery before it was cancelled

maxsmum

Hi everyone

Not really said much on here before, but got alot of support just reading the posts. Anyway, took one year four months to get NHS funding and had surgery booked at Manchester Royal for the 25/5/2010. Arrived at 6.30am as requested and was seen by consultants registra and anethetist before being told to get into gown quickly as I was first on the list for surgery as I was only by-pass on that day. Long story short, after sat waiting in a gown that would nt close for ten hours, the registra came and said the operation was cancelled because a member of staff had rung in sick at 8.00am. In expressed my disbelief as it was now 4.00pm, I had been ignored by staff and quite frankly felt that my surgery was seen as a lower priority than the other patients there that had all had their surgery, as I was fat and had done it to myself. Now getting told surgery may be on 3/6/10 or 23/6/10.
Done nothing but cry. Why are we under rated as humans if we are overweight? If this had happened due to an emergency, or if someone had explained what was going on I would have understood.

Aw thats a horrible thing to happen! I would have been devastated too. I think you should make a complaint, you were treated really badly!
Take care and good luck on getting your new date X

I agree i would make a complaint, i the same as you would have been gutted :mad:
And sometimes being a fat person makes you feel the lowest of the low, i'll never understand, its not like we do people any harm, but society is what it is & i don't think it will ever change :cry: Good luck with your new date :) Em xx

i cant believe they did that to you, i bet you are really gutted. just focus on getting ready for your new date it will be here before you know it

Aww hun i feel so bad for you .. i too had something similar happen this week when my surgery was cancelled at 5 the night before .. mostly because i had gained 5 pounds .. you just feel gutted and miserable .. and if you were like me everything had been arranged (time off work.. letters to loved ones) .. i have been crying and miserable for days .. i dont think doctors realize how important this is to us .. how our lives are scheduled around having this life saving surgery .. its not cosmetic .. our quality of life depend on this . i know it doesnt seem fair .. hopefully your date will come up soon .. feel free to pm me if you need to talk .. trust me i completely understand ((((hugs))))

Absolutely disgusting... I can understand staff shortage making the need to be elective about which surgery to do, but leaving you sit around all day! What was the excuse? Were they gonna try and fit you in?

That is appalling treatment, I'm quite shocked! I could possibly understand it if a major incident had taken priority, but then you'd expect to receive some sort of communication to let you know there was a chance your surgery could be delayed.

I would certainly contact PALS for support and advice on how to make a complaint against the hospital. I'm sorry you were treated like this ((hugs)) xx

I'm so sorry hun my heart goes out to you please hang in there look a it as another couple of weeks and you will get there please dont feel too disheartened by it thinking of you big hug.best luck.xx

Got a phone call from the Alex hospital

Thank you guysso much for your much appreciated support, it really does make a difference!

Got a phone call last night from the Alex hospital and my surgery is going to be tommorow morning at 7.30! Had to ring work as I had cancelled my time off, they are not very happy but know I have not planned it this way, will deal with it after. Really scared this time, not sure if it is because last week I was completly prepared and ready and now I have to go through the build up again :eek:. Husband cant take me this time so will go myself and he will visit in the evening. Thanks to wonderful sister taking days of work at short notice to look after kids :). OMG cant believe it !

Good luck for tomorrow, fingers crossed it all goes well for you this time x

good luck for tomorrow

Just want to add my good luck wishes, although by now you will be at the hospital, and maybe even being done :))). Just wishing you a speedy pain free recovery, and hope you will soon be safely back home and telling us all about it, take care xxxxxxx

Back