• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

12 weeks post op Bypass Sheffield NGH stage 4 diet

Sam00190

As title says I'm 12 weeks post op from Bypass, has anyone here had op through NGH/Thornbury? How soon can I attempt solids as I'm not too sure as to when dietician said I can attempt solids and I can't find the diet book. Been trying to contact the dieticians for 2 weeks with no luck. I've had no probs with mashed stage apart from if I've eaten too much or wrong texture so maybe that's a sign I'm ready to attempt solids but not sure, then again I don't want to attempt it too early if it could have a bad effect on pouch for stretching or again wrong texture. Any advice appreciated x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Every provider is different but I'm pretty sure most let you have solids by now, mine let me from 8 weeks. Go slow and try things very slowly. I'm trying to think what I started on but I think it was stuff like a bit of low fat cheese, tiny bit of ham, then on to some very tiny mouthfuls of chicken etc. Try putting gravy on it first to help it go down and take your time. In the beginning you will probably reject a few things, I did but then I just tried them a couple of weeks later and usually found them fine. Go for mainly protein and veggies and some fruit. You've probably already had some crackers by now but if not ryvitas are a good way to get some complex carbs and you can start putting more solid things on them. Best of luck, I'm sure you are more than ready to move on now, you won't stretch you pouch if you listen to your body. Follow the rule of 20x20x20 - chew at least 20 times, wait at least 20 seconds before your next mouthful and don't eat for longer than 20 minutes at one meal time. You'll be fine if you stick to that. Very naughty your team not getting back to you for that long though, have they got an email or direct line you can call? It's always better to get reassurance straight from them x

I'm 7 weeks post op on weds and I'm suppose to start solids then. I cannot wait to have some mushrooms and a piece of solid fruit. I've been allowed rice,pasta,bread from 5 weeks(not had them yet) so not sure what difference this stage will be. I can never get a hold of my Diatician too.

I'm still pre-op but my guidelines say I can start solids after 12 weeks... Have you tried looking on their website for dietary guidelines post op?

I honestly think you will be ok to start solids now if you go slow. 12 weeks is the longest without solids I've ever heard of but if you aren't comfortable to try without your teams advice, ring them and demand a phone call back. Seems crazy they can't spare you a 5 minute phone call to put your mind at rest x

wow your dietitians need a fire lit under there ass, thats well out of order, mine answer everytime, cant you complain to PALS?

I managed to get hold of them in the end and they said stage 4 is anything from 3-6 months as i was fine on mashed i am now on solids and on had one occasion where food was a bit much for me. I think my pouch just didn't agree with the good i was eating as was very spicy and I've not had it since before op so must have been a shock to my pouch x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back