• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What can I eat and how much six weeks after gastric bypass?

Thaialina

Hello!
I'll be six weeks post gastric bypass this Saturday and was hoping that someone could advise me as to what kind of solids I should avoid, which ones are fine to eat and what size my portions should be six weeks post op and beyond. Phew, that was a long sentence! Lol. I am a vegetarian so any veggie ideas would be great. I have had a set of examples from my dietician, but the portions seem huge to me, e.g one Weight Watchers ready meal, which would last me days on end. I'm sure that there should be some kind of gradual build up from the 3 tablespoons per meal which I now eat. I'm always full, never hungry and have never dumped to the extent of being sick so I can't tell when I've eaten too much or too little. I don't want to eat too much and end up gaining weight and stretching my pouch, but I don't want to eat too little either!
I'm attending a hen night on Saturday (great timing, eh?) where we will have a 3 course meal. I think we can choose our dishes, so again, has anyone been in this kind of situation? What's the easiest food to eat on my first day of solids during the meal? What approach should I take to avoid eating all 3 courses in a discreet way? Lots of questions I know, but if you can help with any I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Ahem...

Soooooooo... I guess an plate of aloo gobi and a big naan is out of the question, then?!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

Teehehe :D

Seriously, I hope that someone will come along and shed some light on this for you :)

Enjoy yourself on Saturday!!!

x

Thanks! I've just done everything by the book so far and don't wnat to go wrong now. To naswer your question from your thread, I'm doing well thanks. A bit tired, but I've had a busy few days. I'm trying to resist going on the scales cos I don't feel slimmer. You know when you get that frumpy feeling for no reason? On the plus side, my washing mashine has broken down so |I had to rummage through my wardrobe and boxes under bed for something to werar because most of my usual clothes are too big! Some pants I can't even wear with a belt cos they're so baggy.Wehey!

Sorry hun, i can't help with that one............... wish i could, but whenyou get some ideas, any chance you cna pass them on to me i know cheeky mare i am.....

Hi ya

if you want to eat something more solid . start with chicken breast and chop it up with a little gravey. some boiled veg and mash.

stay away from beef / pork / lamb for a while anyway

No mushrooms or pinapple or bread

All fish is ok just not battered

You can have brown toast but stick with the chicken for the moment

Roast chicken chopped
Cabbage chopped
Brocoli
Mash (small amount) so you dont fill up on it
Gravey

Pudding

1 scoup of plain ice cream

Take your time eating and chew it well

Hi Frosty,
Thanks for that. I'm a vegetarian so will have to change the meat and fish to quorn. Will definitely try dry water biscuits and low fat ice cream. I'm going to keep well away from bread to be on the safe side too!
From Saturday I should start solids, so if you, or anyone else out there, have any meal ideas that isn't egg,potato and quorn bolognese (which is what I have been having a lot) then I would really appreciate any tips and meal ideas.
THANKS

been trying to think of soft veggie things, but obviously I'm not post op so they may/may not be suitable!

Ratatouille
Veg or quorn curry / chilli / bolognese / casserole
Veg lasagne
Quorn moussaka
Stuffed peppers/aubergines/sweet potatoes/tomatoes/mushrooms
Pasta bakes
Roasted veggies with tomato and basil sauce
Stir fry
Quorn or veggie cottage pie
Veggie hash

Any good?

Meant to add, throw in lentils for extra protein were possible!

And then thought off..

Moroccan chickpea and cous cous salad
Baked eggs with spinach and hollandaise sauce (if you get brave add half a muffin)
Quorn sausage toad in the hole

hmmm will carry on thinking :D I was briefly a veggie (a pretty poor one).

cauliflower and brocolli cheese :D can always do it with half tomato and half cheese sauce (layered) if cheese sauce is too rich.

Hi again.

Being a veggie and you needing protein tofu is twice the protein as meat so these meals should be good for you.
Here is a small snack and a main meal and Breakfast

[FONT=helvetica,arial][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,][SIZE=-1]1 packet firm silken tofu, drained[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]1tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]2 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]1 tsp salt[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]pinch turmeric (optional)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]little milk or soya milk*[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial,][SIZE=-1]Method:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]1 Place all the ingredients into a liquidiser and process for 20 seconds or until the ingredients are smooth and creamy.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]2 Add a little milk at this stage if you require a thinner consistency but not if making any of the following dips.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]3 Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]Serving suggestions. Serve in the usual way or add any of the following seasonings to make into dips:[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]AVOCADO - 1 well ripened avocado liquidised into the mayonnaise. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]Add a couple of tbsp of very finely chopped onion for texture if required.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]CHEESE AND GARLIC - 2 tbsp grated vegetarian cheese and 2 tsp powdered or 1 clove minced garlic.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]CURRY - ½ tsp curry powder. Chopped onion may be added.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]GARLIC AND HERB - 1 clove garlic, crushed, and 1 tsp freshly chopped herbs.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]GARLIC AND DILL - 1 clove garlic, crushed, and ¼tsp dill seeds topped with freshly chopped parsley.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]GINGER - 1 tsp grated ginger root and a pinch of chilli powder (mild or hot according to taste).[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,]HERB - 1 level tsp of freshly chopped coriander or basil[/FONT][/SIZE]

or

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MEDITERRANEAN TOFU CASSEROLE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Serves 4 (so cut down in Ingredients to make enough for self/family)
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1 packet Cauldron Original Tofu[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4oz/100g aubergine, cut into ½in/1cm dice [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4tbsp/60ml olive oil [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4oz/100g onion chopped [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2tsp/100ml garlic, crushed [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]½ mild green chilli, finely chopped [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15oz/425g tinned tomatoes, chopped [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12floz/350ml white wine [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12floz/350ml light vegetable stock or water [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1tbsp/15ml tomato purée [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2oz/50g uncooked pasta (e.g. shells) [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4oz/100g fennel, cut into ½inch/1cm dice [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4oz/100g cauliflower, broken into small florets [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4oz/100g courgettes, cut into ½inch/1cm dice [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2oz/50g broad beans [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2oz/50g pitted black olives, quartered [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2tbsp/30ml mixed chopped fresh basil and thyme (or 1tsp/5ml dried mixed herbs)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]salt [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Method[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. Drain tofu, cut into 36 pieces.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a non-stick pan, fry tofu and aubergine gently in the oil, until evenly browned.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remove from pan. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]2. Add onion to the same pan and cook gently until softened.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute. [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3. Add remaining ingredients, and the cooked tofu and aubergine.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Simmer gently until pasta and vegetables are just cooked (about 7 minutes).[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Season to taste. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Breakfast[/SIZE][/FONT]
Scrambled tofu and grilled tomatoes - piled on thick granary toast

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Take 285g / 10oz regular firm tofu, 15ml / ½floz vegetable oil, 50g / 2oz onion, finely diced, ½ small red pepper, finely diced, 1 small carrot grated, turmeric, shoyu and freshly ground black pepper. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Drain the tofu and mash it, or crumble by hand. Heat the oil and sauté the vegetables until soft. Add the crumbled tofu and sufficient turmeric to give an attractive colour. Season with shoyu and pepper to taste.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I know you said you were staying away from bread but toast is ok for us to eat
Maybe even half a slice just to break some foods up (just not white bread)

Ohh thank you both!!
I can't wait to have proper ingredients to pile into my shopping trolley! I love food shopping and hate having 2 items in my trolley, so have been force feeding others just so that I can buy food! Lol. With regards to peppers and veg with skin, am I OK to have them? I tried roasting peppers, but the skins get a bit harder. I love frozen peas, do you think that they will be too crunchy? I have a weird taste in food! Also I love past dishes, but can only handle a little past cos it's so filling.

hey winky how u doing hun its been a while, well i dont know about the veggie part hun but dont have bread and just generally take things easy if in doubt dont try it, just make sure u chew well try different things but just look at the menu to see wot they have most importantly have a good time hun, u r doing so well so far keep it up ok take care xxx

Hi Sara,

I am now 8 weeks post op and am pretty much eating everything. At 6 weeks I was pretty much the same, but just eating slowly and chewing well. I mainly eat fish,chicken, stir fry, jacket pots, pasta.
I haven't had any adverse reactions to anything at the moment, although I haven't had bread. I have eaten pitta bread and that was fine. I started eating more "solid" foods and found that I couldn't eat as much as with the softer foods like cottage pie or fish pie. I was trying to figure out why I got full quicker when I was out for a meal and that was because I was having chicken, jacket pot and veg wheras at home I was having the cottage pie etc.
It will just be a case of trying things and see how you feel. I think everyone is different.
I haven't had any sickness or bad reaction to anything, apart from me eating some lamb too quickly too early on.
Good luck, and keep up the good work!
xxx

Thank you all for your support and advice. Lottie, roughly how much do you eat now? I have also found that I can eat more amounts of soft foods than solids.
The hen night went well. We went swimming for a bit, then the jaccusi, steam room and sauna. Stopped for a bit to eat my minute packed lunch and I made sure that I explained about the op to everyone around me in case they though I was weird! The were all fine with it. Some didn't want all the gory details but others had plenty of questions. I had a teensy amount of bubbly befre we went down to the meal and 80s disco. Thankfully, there was enough time in between each meal for my tummy to recover. They had veg soup for starters, with which I dipped my spoon in, let the soup dribble off and basically licked what was left on the spoon. I gave my bread roll to the girls next to me. Then dinner was roast potatoes, mash, swede, carrots, pepper, runner beans and a pastry cheese and tomato thing. I had a little mash, half a slice of carrot and swede, a piece of runner bean as well as most of the contents of inside the pastry. The plate looked as though I had barely touched it, but because I was chewing, I took almost as long to eat as everyone else. Pudding was chocolate gateaux with cream. I tried a slither of it. but found it quite sickly so left it at that. I sat for absolutely ages staring at my beautiful cake, before the waiter took it away. Although everyone sat near me knew about my op, I felt a bit silly because I wasn't eating and not many people were talking because they were busy devouring their pouddings! Later on there was an 80s disco, so I could feel normal again. All in all it was a good night. The other girls made a ,point of not commenting on my eating, but I made myself feel like I did because of my past relationship with food. I hate wasting food and that is something I will have to deal with.

Well done for getting through the day with no disasters! People are generally a lot more understanding than we give them credit for I tend to find :)

With the wasting, not sure what to suggest really. If it really bothers you then next time you're going out for a meal call the venue beforehand and explain that you only eat extremely small portions and can they please therefore only provide you with that. Atleast that way nothing will be wasted.

Realistically though, you need to learn that it's ok to leave food on your plate. What are the consequences of you not eating it all? Reversely, what good are you doing and to whom by eating everything?

Hello!
I'll be six weeks post gastric bypass this Saturday and was hoping that someone could advise me as to what kind of solids I should avoid, which ones are fine to eat and what size my portions should be six weeks post op and beyond. Phew, that was a long sentence! Lol. I am a vegetarian so any veggie ideas would be great. I have had a set of examples from my dietician, but the portions seem huge to me, e.g one Weight Watchers ready meal, which would last me days on end. I'm sure that there should be some kind of gradual build up from the 3 tablespoons per meal which I now eat. I'm always full, never hungry and have never dumped to the extent of being sick so I can't tell when I've eaten too much or too little. I don't want to eat too much and end up gaining weight and stretching my pouch, but I don't want to eat too little either!
I'm attending a hen night on Saturday (great timing, eh?) where we will have a 3 course meal. I think we can choose our dishes, so again, has anyone been in this kind of situation? What's the easiest food to eat on my first day of solids during the meal? What approach should I take to avoid eating all 3 courses in a discreet way? Lots of questions I know, but if you can help with any I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!
HI
i'm in same boat as you too, i'm 5 weeks post op but can only mange soups n slop still.i have tried a few times soft foods etc stew,potatoe,pasta but just gets lodged and there's only 1 way out then.
yesterday i did find something i can eat and i love them,.......skip crisps mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
i,m sure its a matter of time and trial and error.take care michelle7272

Back