• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

14 months post op

deepblue

Let me say the gastric bypass has changed my life but its been hard at times. But I am looking for advice over the last two weeks my wife has pointed out my appetitie has almost doubled and not far off what I would eat in a portion size I wasnt aware of it but now she has metioned it I am shocked at what I can eat again is this normal ? I have heard people say that your apetite can return with vengance I am hopeing this is just a blip. :17729:

Ive heard that the pouch does stretch after a while but not sure how much but in theory you must be able to eat more eventually but dont quote me on that lol

Are you still under your bariatric teams care? If so, are they happy with your weight loss etc? I suppose if you are still losing even when eating what you are, they would consider that OK, but if you have stopped losing & are nowhere near your goal, you could try going back to the beginning with the 5 day pouch maintenance diet & go from there. Good Luck .. x

im not sure of answers im only 9 days post op. dont liek to read and run ... how much have u lost since op? i hope you get ya answers soon

hi mazbrad i seen u are 9 days post op and had it done at SRH how are you getting on ? i had mt endoscopy on friday just gone and i am now on the waiting list, how long did you wait? hope u dont mind me asking x

:)Hope your pouch gets it's restriction back real soonx

I am 27 months post op and i feel hungry an hour after eating and have felt like this for over a year so your not on your own, i have stayed the same weight for over a year now so its off to weight watchers for a kick start.
Please dont make my mistake of eating anything just because you can, its not good follow the advice of the succesful bypassers on here, i wish i had kept up with advice on here instead of burying my head in the sand. good luck.

Thanks everyone for your words I went today to check my weight and have put two pounds on in a week kind of a wake up call I phone my bariatric team and have an appointment on friday to see them just to go over my diet but I am a bit worried without the restriction I will fall back into old ways

Hi - I've just returned to the site after a very long absence. I know your last post was some time ago, but am just wondering how you're getting on. I'll be 13 years post op this year and have experienced the loss of restriction - being hungry soon after eating (which normally means your stoma to your intestine has stretched). I put back quite a large amount of weight, sp felt concerned for you. When I had the op, it still seemed like the miracle cure :)

welcome back Carokokos and i hope you manage to get back on track now you're on here again, have they said they can do anything for you after all this time ? take care :)

welcome back Carokokos, its really great to have someone here who is so long out of surgery!!
During my research i read that the pouch is made the size of an egg cup but after about a year it stretches to the size of a tea cup, but i see no reason why it cant stretch bigger than that. Hopefully you will continue to visit this site and make use of the wonderful support here, good luck :) xxx

Hi Carokokos and Deepblue,

I have read (elsewhere on the net) that the RNY pouch is notorious for stretching, especially the big where the stoma joins the re-routed intestine .... once that stretches food just flows thru.

I have read tht 2 or 3 different REVISIONS are available:

1. is simply to re-fasten and tighten at the point of the stoma

2. a fobi-ring can be inserted at the base of the pouch to keep it tight.

If you are 2 or more years post op and suffering return of hunger and weight re-gain your surgeons can consider these "surgery revisions".

For me, this is part of the reason why I want a sleeve rather than RNY (the pylorus valve is retained), but for those for whom the RNY does stretch and particularly the join from the pouch to the intestine, then revisions are available.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome back :) I was never slim after the op, but lost about 8 and a bit stone. I regained about 5 of those within 5/6 years. Still can't eat huge meals, but I empty pretty quickly and so feel like I want to eat again quite soon after being full. For someone with a sweet tooth (who has hardly ever experienced dumping) that's a problem. I finally approached my surgeon again at the end of last year to talk about possibilities. He said he'd prefer me to try everything else before talking about a revision of any kind. So I promised him I'd give it my best shot (again) and would contact him again mid 2012 with an update. Have recently joined Slimming World. On the positive side, having the op was absolutely the right thing for me to do. I was at a stage of my life when the weight was piling on and I truly believe that if I hadn't changed things, that would have continued and I would be in a very bad way by now (if I was even still here at all). It hasn't been the miracle cure for me, but it definitely still gave me my life back.

maybe try the 5 day pouch test?

Well i'm glad you are positive about it, and good luck with slimming world :) keep us up dated on your progress x

Could somebody bump the 5 day pouch test here please as I think it would help a lot of peeps.

Lynne x
I'm a technophobe lol.

Angie, I see you had the DS. I'd thought about that as an option as I've read on a few boards about a RNY to DS revision. Only thing is I've had extremely low iron levels and the DS is an even more malabsorptive procedure. Back when I had my op, I wasn't even advised to take iron so got to transfusion levels before I realised. Perhaps my body wouldn't have coped with the DS. Need to give Slimming World my best and remember that doing it after a gastric bypass has to have certain advantages :)

it will definitely have advantages because of the way it's designed green days red etc and i think probably will be perfect for you, i hope so anyway :)

Wizzbang / Doughie,

If you just google: "5 day pouch test" it brings up the answer.

It is designed really for bypass patients (not sleevies) within the first year of the op, if they have gone a little astray, to get them back to the basics.

Not sure it is really intended for use by people like Carokokos who is 13 years post op and now has a very different pounch (one that most likely has stretched a lot, and possibly the outlet port from the pouch to the lower intestine may have stretched as well).

At that point, 13 years post op, and with the pouch having stretched (a lot), you are in almost the same position as someone who has never had surgery, hunger having returned, and able to eat much larger quantities without feeling satiated.

It is at that point that the post-op patient has to turn to all the tricks they used in previous weight loss efforts -- tricks to try and con the brain "I'm not hungry, I have eaten, I'm perfectly fine with what I've eaten so far, so no need to go sending me the hunger signal again" ..... tricks like drinking coffee, lots of HEALTHY mini snacks (celery, carrot sticks) etc etc.

Back