• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

14 months post op

Hi Carokokos and Deepblue,
<snip>

For me, this is part of the reason why I want a sleeve rather than RNY (the pylorus valve is retained), but for those for whom the RNY does stretch and particularly the join from the pouch to the intestine, then revisions are available.

Good luck.

Is there less likelihood of serious stretching with sleeve?

Is there less likelihood of serious stretching with sleeve?

Hi Ruthie,

The actual pouch is as likely to stretch with an RNY pouch as with the banana-shaped sleeve pouch.

BUT .....

with a sleeve the sleeved stomach retains the pylorus valve which closes when food enters, and takes a few hours to properly digest the food before emptying the stomach -- therefore giving a feeling of satiation / having eaten for quite a few hours.

With the RNY pouch, there is no pylorus valve, or any kind of valve making a "shut off" system.

When the RNY pouch is new and the join with the intestine quite tight, the patient is advised to eat CHUNKY food (this is afer the first few weeks of liquid and pureed etc) -- but proper food that will fill the pouch and create the feeling of "fullness".

For RNY bypassers liquids (soups and yogurts and smoothies etc) won't achieve that, as they will slip right thru. (I have noted on here several early days post-op RNYers saying that when they are on the liquid diet they don't feel like they have eaten anything, as all the liquids just go straight thru.)

At least for us sleevies, even drinking soups or smoothies, the pylorus valve will close, creating the feeling of fullness / having eaten.

It is actually the stretching of the "outlet" from the RNY to the lower intestine that is more dangerous than the stretching of the pouch size. (Studies have proved that there is no difference in weight loss between RNYers with small 6 oz capacity pouches and those with 12 oz capacity pouches.)

If the outlet between the RNY pouch and the lower intestine stretches, then the post bypasser has even more difficulty "filling" their pouch and gaining any feeling of satiation, as there is no valve, and it becomes easier and easier for food to pass through from the pouch to the intestine too quickly.

Back