• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

15 months since bypass...should I be worried?

MrsSAFC said:
i get moody - i miss food (sorry but i do) as in belly washing a bog glass of diet coke, or finished a lovely chinese take away. I dont miss buying size 24 tops or duds!

its happening less and less. i was watching food hospital and there was a woman with pms - they gave her calcium and it helped her symptoms (irritable and moody amongst other things) and actually i would say my pms is less since the op.... im putting it down to the adcal d3....

i dunno just a thought for you re the calcium....?

xx keep is up dated

Thanks so much for your reply,I'm going to the doctors soon as my children are back at school.
All I know is my copper level is lower,so is iron and a B vitamin,
My daily mood is terrible x
Please let us know when u get your bloods done x
I'm a bit worried I'm doing something wrong as nobody here seems to have blood problems after a bypass x

Any advice folks on irritability?
Has anyones elses bloods been affected by a bypass...and have you had symptoms from it.

Help pretty please x

ive not had an op yet..but i know one thing...its christmas, and my kids are at home....this equals irritability!!! lol:D

maybe the festivities have just pushed you over the edge a little more than normal?;)

MissyMustDoIt said:
ive not had an op yet..but i know one thing...its christmas, and my kids are at home....this equals irritability!!! lol:D

maybe the festivities have just pushed you over the edge a little more than normal?;)

Wish it was that..
I just don't feel myself... Cry x

Much like funding is post code lottery, so it seems after care is. I am just a tad over 2.5 years post op and my hospital do not do bloods as a routine follow-up. I have to badger my GP, who, of course hasn't got a bl**dy clue about bariatric surgery and the effects thereof.

So after months of restless legs, mood swings, unbelievable tiredness, itchy skin, rubbish sleeping patterns and a real urge to eat or drink strong substances such as bleach... yes, really! I finally persuaded my GP that I really *do* need my bloods looking at and guess what? I am chronically anaemic (7 count haemoglobin), my B12 is also low, as is my ferroglobin (my iron store). O! And my vit D is way too low.

So, despite being on 600mg of iron a day, I am still not producing or storing iron. My GP has now written to a haematologist friend of hers to see why. I did say, 'Please be sure to mention I am a bariatric patient....'

Brunetteandred said:
Much like funding is post code lottery, so it seems after care is. I am just a tad over 2.5 years post op and my hospital do not do bloods as a routine follow-up. I have to badger my GP, who, of course hasn't got a bl**dy clue about bariatric surgery and the effects thereof.

So after months of restless legs, mood swings, unbelievable tiredness, itchy skin, rubbish sleeping patterns and a real urge to eat or drink strong substances such as bleach... yes, really! I finally persuaded my GP that I really *do* need my bloods looking at and guess what? I am chronically anaemic (7 count haemoglobin), my B12 is also low, as is my ferroglobin (my iron store). O! And my vit D is way too low.

So, despite being on 600mg of iron a day, I am still not producing or storing iron. My GP has now written to a haematologist friend of hers to see why. I did say, 'Please be sure to mention I am a bariatric patient....'

Thanks for this,.it has been mentioned I may need an iron transfusion?
What that is I'm not sure x

As I said I'm off to GP tomorrow to discuss my results from letter from dietitian after my 3mth post-op blood test. Low iron & zinc high para thyroid. A friend who had their op a month before me has similar problems to yours & now has B12 injections & other supplements to up his levels.

Bariatric after care normally runs for two years post op, after that it's up to your GP to check your bloods. I would badger mine to do them at least twice a year though mine are checked every week at present LOL :D It is essential that we make sure we get our bloods checked every six months for ever and have B12 every three months for ever too.

Doctors rung me to say they've increased my iron,increased the foreval and a stronger calcium tablet.
Do you think this would sort the moodswings/irritability?
I was wondering if a b12 injection was needed.
It's hard going to local Gps as they don't really know much about gastric surgery..and you feel like your moaning.
Any advice ? Xx

As you've not got the answer yet I'd phone your team or dietitian & ask they at least know what to expect post-op & whether it's hormones being released with losing weight or another supplement or tweak needed to existing ones.

penelope1008 said:
As you've not got the answer yet I'd phone your team or dietitian & ask they at least know what to expect post-op & whether it's hormones being released with losing weight or another supplement or tweak needed to existing ones.

Do you think the dietician would know if it's down to hormones or it's weightloss?

Feeling quite fed up today,I got called demonic before with my moods

You could have a hormone imbalance - indicated by your heavy periods, iron problems and moodiness. Ask, then ask again for your doctor to do hormone tests when he does your bloods. It is a simple test that can be done at the same time. Tell him you need to get everything sorted out as you are feeling desperately depressed and run down and exhausted. If he dismisses the idea of tests then insist.
I think your moods are to do with your periods.
Hope you feel better soon and I am sending you a big hug xxx
Lynne x

wizzbang said:
You could have a hormone imbalance - indicated by your heavy periods, iron problems and moodiness. Ask, then ask again for your doctor to do hormone tests when he does your bloods. It is a simple test that can be done at the same time. Tell him you need to get everything sorted out as you are feeling desperately depressed and run down and exhausted. If he dismisses the idea of tests then insist.
I think your moods are to do with your periods.
Hope you feel better soon and I am sending you a big hug xxx
Lynne x

Thank you so much Lynne,

I'm going to have to make sure this is my first thing I get sorted when the kids are back at school as my family life is being affected x

I have had my Solvazinc stopped as it makes copper levels too low in your system. I have also had my Adcal D3 increased to 3 a day. Hope you get it sorted soon. x

mariew said:
I have had my Solvazinc stopped as it makes copper levels too low in your system. I have also had my Adcal D3 increased to 3 a day. Hope you get it sorted soon. x

Thank you x

Back