• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1week in from my bypass

IlonaJ

Hi everyone
Today I am 1 week in from having my bypass on the 1st, it all went well and I am getting abit better day by day, I do get a little short of breath, and normally have aprox 100mls for meals, I want to ask people (I know everyone is different) but how long did they have off before being able to return to work?

Hi hun,

I am a retired pensioner so work was not a problem for me but just wanted to say well done with your op and welcome to the losers bench.

I am sure someone will pop along in a mo and help xx

I was off for 2 & 1/2 weeks, but my job then was office based and part time. I could have done with another week off but then I have health problems which cause slow recovery.

In all honesty, your surgeon should have given you some guidance as to time off, if not speak to your GP, as it us a very individual thing depending on both your own ability to heal and the job you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm a stay at home mum so work wasnt a problem for me but i did feel alot better after 2 wks. congrats on your op and heres hoping for a quick recovery xxx

Thanks everyone, my job is quite a bit of heavy lifting and lots of walking, so think I may speak to my gp x

I planned on 4 weeks but when i got to the 4 weeks stage i was suddenly hit by a wave of exhaustion so had another two weeks off..... You need to take into account what job you do, manual handling etc xx

I was back to work in under two weeks. I'm on my feet most of the day, but I knew I was ready because even though I was tired, I was itching to get back. That said, we are all very individual: it will depend on how fit & healthy you were before the op, whether you were keyhole or open surgery, plus how you feel yourself. How have your wounds healed? How do you feel you are recovering? If you feel it's too soon, then it probably is, especially if your job involves heavy lifting that you can't get others to do for you. I'm surprised they didn't offer you a sick-note at the hospital...they did with me even though I didn't take them up on it. I would suggest ring your GP and have a word...see what they recommend xxx

Back