• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Approved for gastric bypass

Hi everyone

I'm a 23 stone male (bmi 44), mid 20's and had a consultation for a gastric bypass yesterday, privately with The Hospital Group. I was approved for surgery and has been booked for 28th Feb. I was originally going to see if I would be eligible for finance however my mother has very kindly paid for it with her own money.

I have a 7 day cooling off period before it the point of no return so would love to hear your experiences regarding the bypass (good and bad!) just for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks

hey pops thats great :) and what a lovely mum you have, good luck :) xxx

Your mom is an angel! How lovely for you. This is the start of the rest of your life. Enjoy! :)

That's fab news ur mum is an angel ;) good luck wiv it all grab ur new life wiv both hands ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

That's wonderful news.
Wow go Mother!! :)

Glad you came im the guy who gave you the link ;)

Wow, what a lovely Mum. Yes do it!! That's my advice to you, I had mine 11 days ago, had no pain, no complications, no sickness. I feel fab. And best of all, I am losing weight, 12lb in 11 days!!!
I hope before you went for this consultation you did your research, it's not a decision to be taken lightly, and if you decide to go ahead, learn everything you can. Do your research. Read this forum. Find out as much as you can. I had about 10 months to research this from when i changed my mind from a band to a bypass. please please do your homework!
Good luck.

A big HURRA for you mother, start counting ....your new life is about to start.xxx

Really great news! Now spend the next 7 days reading all you can about it, good and bad.

It's not an easy ride for everyone and there are some who struggle with their decision to go ahead. I'd recommend having a look out for a book or two on the psychological aspects - if you have always used food as a crutch and that crutch is pulled from under you it can be difficult to know how to cope. I have to confess to occasional days when I wish I could have a huge blow-out meal but have to make do with my tiny mouthfuls lol. However after a lifetime of struggling with my weight it feels like a huge boulder has been lifted from my shoulders - and I can't explain how good that feels:)

Thanks for all your comments!

I had done a lot of research prior to booking the consultation. I have been thinking about it for almost a year but never had the finances in place. I decided to book the consultation as I thought I was in a good position to get it on finance, wasn't expecting my mum to pay for it lol

I feel guilty and selfish for accepting my mums cash but I guess the health benefits will far exceed anything she could ever buy with the money. I told her she gave me the gift of life once before and she giving me that gift again, sounds cheesy but thats how I feel. :D

Following the surgery, I think it's going to hit me hard. It will be a dramatic lifestyle change that I'll most likely struggle with for a while, I doubt any amount of research will prepare me for it. I chose the bypass rather than the band because I don't want the option of returning back to an unhealthy lifestyle in the future.

I'm looking forward to it though. I've never been a normal size for as long as I can remember, even during childhood I was overweight so I can't wait to look in the mirror and see a much slimmer version of me. :D

My confidence just now is virtually non-exsistant, to the point that I don't even take my coat off when I'm around people because I'm paranoid people will be staring at the outlines of my fat rolls and man boobs through my tshirt, sounds silly I know.

Well done you!!! It is a big change but already food is not the focal point of my day anymore....something I'd never thought I'd say!! one question? Why 28th feb?! I went private and was in 13 days after consultation!!! all moved quick but here I am on the road to a slimmer me :) x

Well done you!!! It is a big change but already food is not the focal point of my day anymore....something I'd never thought I'd say!! one question? Why 28th feb?! I went private and was in 13 days after consultation!!! all moved quick but here I am on the road to a slimmer me :) x

They had a date for the second week in Jan but I'm moving house. The next date was for the start of Feb but unfortunately I have a very important meeting that can't be missed. Would love to have it done sooner but the dates clash with those two things. :mad:

Those 3 months will fly by, and I don't think you're being silly not taking your coat off, I'd say the majority of us pre op are sensitive about people seeing us, or how we think they are seeing us. I know I still am. I hate walking through a room full of people.
That's all going to change forever now. And if one of my kids needed it I'd love to be able to pay for it. Better than a car any day of the week. Good luck with your house move too. It's going to be a fab 2012 for you. :)

It will be here before you know it! At least being private you don't get messed around with cancelled appts, and having to jump thru hoops to please the nhs! Feel so sorry for some of the guys on here and the whole process when being referred as nhs. You will be losing before you know it! Enjoy the journey x

Back