• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 year down the line, possible complications?

Kar8858

Sounds awful...especially as the sedation was neither use nor ornament! I hope the problems gets sorted for you soon

HI Well that is good and bad, good you know what they are dealing with and bad that you need further corrective surgery. Would they be able to reduce your pouch size do you think?

I wouldn't even ask them if I'm honest, I know the answer would be an immediate no to altering the pouch.

Once they fix the anastomosis, I won't have anything else apart from the shortened digestive path. I'll be able to tolerate more food and it'll move quicker through the pouch so I'm fearful for the future but there's not a whole lot I can do about that. :(

weegie

Anastomosis is a word used to describe the actual join, did he mean a stricture ?

weegie

The exact wording on the report they gave me to take home says 'the gastrojej anastomosis is narrowed to under 1cm and not allowing passage of endoscope.'

Yes, the join has narrowed. You have a stricture.

At least now you have a diagnosis and a team behind you. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
Yep a stricture. Mine is 1-2mm. Milk backs up on me. Good news that you've got a firm diagnosis and a treatment plan.

Mega jealous. I'm at a brick wall.

Just thought I'd update...

I've decided today I'm going to see my GP for a sick line from work as it has got considerably worse. My superior had told me today that this is now affecting my work, spending so much time in the bathroom vomiting and with my energy levels being so low, my productivity is virtually nothing. She strongly suggested I go on sick leave.

I started eating baby food but it didn't take long for my tolerance of that to disappear. I moved on to slim fast milkshakes to at least get some nutrients and sugar in me but now bringing that up, sometimes as long as 3 hours later. I'm struggling so bad to get out of bed in the morning, my energy has gone entirely.

So I'm going to self certify for 7 days, and hope that my GP will keep me on sick leave following that. Last time I spoke to my dietician, he said I need to phone him if it got this bad so I can be admitted and have a feeding tube put down and up until now I have been desperately avoiding that.... but I'm going to bite the bullet and phone him tomorrow.

I'm bringing up my epilepsy medication which I obviously need. My body is so boney, I look like I have anorexia.. very gaunt. My actual fear is that it's going to close up and stop even water going through and I'm still waiting to hear when my surgery is but hopefully going on sick leave will speed things up.

weegie

So sorry to hear things have deteriorated, it sounds like the wisest choice to take sick leave. I hope the dietician can get things moving for you asap, not being able to take your meds is an added complication you really do not need.

Sending you a hug. X

chrisa

aww best of luck with everything have not been on for coule of days and wont be back on til next WED hope you have some good news and thing start moving for you. God Bless you and keep you safe. x

Thought I'd update the post. GP isn't too keen on signing me off work at the moment because I'm still healthy enough to function on a daily basis apparently - but he'll see how the situation changes next time I see him.

Don't think he really grasps the situation. I'm off work anyway for a few weeks, I've taken holiday leave.

Still being sick around a dozen times a day, seriously. Although that's because I'm still enjoying solid foods but I have to bring it all back up again. Seems a waste to eat solid foods and immediately bring it back up but I'm getting to enjoy the taste and textures.

I can't tolerate anything unless it's the consistency of water. Anything thicker and it sits in the pouch and doesn't go anywhere unless I bring it up. People in work think I have bulimia since I'm eating and then immediately going to the toilet to be sick LOL.

In a strange way, I'm getting used to this way of eating. I've adjusted to thinning soups down to water consistency. Eating solids and either bringing it up myself or waiting a while till my body brings it up for me.

Whilst it's a horrible situation for anyone to be in, I kinda want it to stay this way now that I've adjusted. It's like a second bypass, a second way of restricting my food intake - only a more severe restriction. My weight is falling although slowly, which seems strange with my calorie intake being roughly 400-600 a day.

I can see my ribs, collar bones, all my other boney bits and I like it. I'm 67kg (10st 7lb) and I guess that's pretty low for a 5'10 male. I suppose my real weight is lower if you don't factor in my loose skin, which is most prominent on my tummy.

As you can see, I will definitely benefit from a chat with a psychologist, with my way of thinking, as above. Still waiting on an appointment for the psychologist and the surgery. Have heard nothing from either.

I see my dietician next week. He was the one who referred me for the scope and put it through pretty quickly so I'm hoping he'll pull some strings, more so for the psychologist

Making myself sick countless times every day.... I'm getting used to doing this and I'm concerned that it will become a regular thing when this stricture is fixed. It's all too easy to make myself sick and since I don't bring up any stomach acid or bile, it makes being sick pleasant.

I know I could work harder to get more calories down but my head is messed up, I'm purposely limiting myself so I can lose even more weight. I want to reach 60kg (9st 6) even though I know that'll put me in the underweight category but like I said, my head is messed up.

I don't really have anyone in real life I can talk to and who can give me the support I need.

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
OMG. Yes you need help quickly. It's not good to be that thin. You are hurting your immediate and long term health plus damaging your teeth with all that vomiting. My opinion is to immediately stop eating solid food as its only coming back up. I virtually live on hot milk/latte. You can get enough calories in if you sip at the rate you can get through the stricture. It sounds like you need to put on about 10kg at least. Really hope when your dietician sees you they can make good things happen. It's a step forward mentally to realise that you do indeed need help. Hope good things come your way.

Thanks for your reply Jemima. My idea by continuing to eat solid foods, even though it all immediately comes back up is so I can still enjoy everything I enjoyed before this started happening. The taste and textures of whatever I eat, it goes down and satisfies me before it has to come back up again.

And then I've got the liquid foods I'm eating in addition which do stay down but doesn't satisfy me in the same way as above. So because I'm getting the best of both worlds, I'm adjusting to this situation in an unexpected way. A pleasant way despite vomiting countless times a day.

I have to admit though, since this has started, I've gone downhill - mentally speaking. I was in a good place before this but now I'm becoming way more conscious of my weight and seem to think about it all the time, but not because I'm concerned about how low it's getting. I'm liking the weight loss and feel happy when the scales show more weight loss and that's because of this stricture.

This stricture is changing my mental health, my thinking and how I'm viewing myself and the weight loss - for the worse. I was never like this before.

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
I absolutely am sick of being sick. I would avoid it at all costs, the acid is permanently trashing your teeth plus hurting your throat. I'm no expert but I'd say you'd crossed the dangerous line into anorexic territory. It's not good to be a bag of bones & vomiting. Part of the WLS process is to make changes to a healthy lifestyle & normal weight. You no longer have a normal life. I don't actually remember the texture of food. I don't miss it. But I can't wait to one day be able to eat again. Please think deeply about your life and see if you can make some changes. Baby steps. One day at a time.

chrisa

Goodness me you are really struggling. accept all help offered. I know things don't get done really quickly but you certainly need to get a foot hold you do not want to slip further down the route. Take care and keep shouting for help.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll be in a better place once this is fixed but I seem to be in a frame of mind where I actually don't want this fixed but just left as is.

Of course it would be dangerous to leave it as is, I realise the implications of that but that doesn't change my frame of mind that this stricture is another restriction in addition to my bypass.

Vomiting frequently doesn't really bother me, if anything, I'm pretty used to vomiting after eating a meal now. I recognise I'm headed in to dangerous territory but strangely, it doesn't worry me. I will discuss all of this with my dietician. I just wannt my life to go back to normal. :/

SerenityValley

Happy in the meantime
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll be in a better place once this is fixed but I seem to be in a frame of mind where I actually don't want this fixed but just left as is.

Of course it would be dangerous to leave it as is, I realise the implications of that but that doesn't change my frame of mind that this stricture is another restriction in addition to my bypass.

Vomiting frequently doesn't really bother me, if anything, I'm pretty used to vomiting after eating a meal now. I recognise I'm headed in to dangerous territory but strangely, it doesn't worry me. I will discuss all of this with my dietician. I just wannt my life to go back to normal. :/

Just read this. Dude, you're not headed into dangerous territory. You're IN dangerous territory already. Medical help is needed to beat what is most certainly an already entrenched eating disorder. It's almost impossible to beat an ED without it.

I really hope you have been getting the support you need with this, the last few weeks. I feel awful for you, little is harder to deal with than an ED.

~Alison~

Just read this. Dude, you're not headed into dangerous territory. You're IN dangerous territory already. Medical help is needed to beat what is most certainly an already entrenched eating disorder. It's almost impossible to beat an ED without it. I really hope you have been getting the support you need with this, the last few weeks. I feel awful for you, little is harder to deal with than an ED.

Just read through this thread and agree with Serenity, I hop you get the help you need soon