• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 day pouch test

Alia

I'm just studying the 5 day pouch test as suggested by Nichole - I'm going to use this as a tool to get back on track with my weight loss.

On the first and second day menus there is mention of protein powders. What are these and where can you get them. Would I be wrong in assuming you could use something like a slimfast powder or cambridge diet powder where is says protein powder.

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb, this really is a weak point of mine, I'm really rubbish where it comes to knowing about proteins, carbs etc.

Any ideas guys and gals?

Hun these are not dumb questions!! I'd be interested to hear the answer aswell as I'm still at the planning stage for my op, and no doubt it is a question that will help many others!!

I don't know much about the 5 day pouch test but no doubt others who do will be along soon!!

Good luck!!

xxxxx

The book that goes along side the 5 day pouch test is a good read. They ship to the UK at no extra cost.

Hi Alia,

Slimfast and cambridge aren't the same as protein powders. While they contain protein, they are both very high in carbs as well, which is not what you need.

There is a list of protein supplements here http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67707-where-get-tasty-protein-supplements.html you need to look for ones with atleast 20g protein per serving and no more than 2g of carbs per serving.

HTH,

Shel

Would Cambridge be too high in carbs? Within 2 -3 days of using them you can be in ketosis and they have lots of vitamins and minerals too...(Although I would not know if this would be any good with doing a pouch test with Cambridge).

I wouldn't touch slimfast with a barge pole though as that stuff is full of sugar.

(((hugs)))

Can't comment on the use of cambridge shakes because I don't know what is in them but I do know that Slimfast has added refined sugar so I wouldn't use it myself. I try to pick supplements that do not contain refined sugar so I get the whey protein powders, prepared drinks etc. that have very low carbs and no added sugar.

Nic:rolleyes:

I've been and bought some protein powders from Holland & Barrett. I bought Body Fortress Whey protein poweder, one in vanilla and one in strawberry. They are 24.99 but they have an offer at the moment, buy one get on half price.

Hope I've got the right stuff

Could do with some shake ideas now on how to use them :)

I've been and bought some protein powders from Holland & Barrett. I bought Body Fortress Whey protein poweder, one in vanilla and one in strawberry. They are 24.99 but they have an offer at the moment, buy one get on half price.

Hope I've got the right stuff

Could do with some shake ideas now on how to use them :)

Let's know how you get on with those.
Are they a meal replacement or supplements?

Good luck with your pouch test.

(((hugs)))

Let's know how you get on with those.
Are they a meal replacement or supplements?

Good luck with your pouch test.

(((hugs)))

I think they are suppliments :confused:

Yes they are supplements. They should not replace a meal, you should still try to have a balanced meal and add protein shakes. But when you do the pouch test you use them how it says.

so here I am on day 1 of the pouch test

want to see if I'm on track and doing this right so any one thats done it can you advise me so far pleeeez

so far today I've had

Milky Coffee when I got up

B Banana and Peanut Butter smoothie made with 1 Banana, spoon of peanut butter, 10 icecubes, 1/4 of a cup of s/skimmed milk and 1 scoop of Vanilla whey protein powder.

Mid morning a milky coffee

L Tomato Cup a soup

and I'll make up another smoothie for later this evening and I'm drinking lots of water.

does this sound about right or am I doing this all wrong?

Sounds ok. The cup a soups aren't ideal but they shouldn't affect you too badly.

There are some soup recipes on the 5 day pouch test website and forum boards from memory.
Ham & Cheese Soup
This is a hearty and delicious soup. If you prefer use grated Cheddar or Jack cheese in place of the Velveeta. Taste before salting. 2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
6 cups chicken broth
12 ounces Velveeta Light, shredded
8 ounces lite firm silken tofu, diced
10 ounces deviled ham (2 cans)
1 cup sour cream, light
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
parsley, for garnish
In a large Dutch Oven over medium heat butter. Add carrots and onion and saute until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, paprika and dry mustard using a whisk. Cook for 2 minutes then slowly add the chicken broth whisking to prevent lumps. When soup is thickened add shredded Velveeta, the diced tofu and ham. Cook on a low simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve garnished with a sprinkle of Parmesean cheese and a sprig of parsley.
Servings: 10
Notes: Per 1-cup serving: 264 calories. 19 grams protein, 15 grams fat (8 saturated) and 12 grams carbohydrate. Rich in Vitamin A and one serving has 53mg of calcium.

Low-Carb Pumpkin & Sausage Soup
A delicious autumnal soup. Use a butternut squash puree if you prefer. You probably want to hide the leftovers of this soup if you are including it in your pouch test - or your spouse and kids will gobble it up when you are not looking. 16 ounces country style sausage
1/2 cup onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
15 ounces pumpkin, canned
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
Over medium heat brown the sausage breaking into small bits. Drain fat. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are cooked.
Add the canned pumpkin and the broth, stirring to mix well. Cook at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, sour cream and water.
Servings: 8
Notes: Per 1-cup serving: 376 calories. 15 grams protein, 32 grams fat (14 saturated) and 9 grams carbohydrate (2 grams dietary fiber). Rich in Vitamin A, Thiamin and B12 and one serving has 63mg of calcium.

Ham & Split Pea Soup
For spicier soup select a hot sausage. Garnish with shredded cheese and parsley. This country classic comfort food, complete with bacon and ham, is great for Days 1 and 2 of the 5 Day Pouch Test. It freezes well in 1-cup portions too. Enjoy!
Ingredients:
8 slices bacon
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 pound split peas
16 ounces chicken stock
2 cups water
1 cup ham cubes
1 each bay leaf
ground pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions:
In a large heavy dutch oven cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Leave rendered bacon fat in pot and cook the onion and carrots until translucent and soft.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for two hours. Add more water if soup is too thin, it should be thick.
Discard bay leaf and serve warm topped with crumbled bacon.
Servings: 12
Notes: Per 1-cup serving: 184 calories. 13 grams protein, 4 grams fat and 25 grams carbohydrate (10 grams dietary fiber). Rich in Vitamin A and Thiamin (B1).
Serving Ideas: For creamier soup stir in some sour cream. For spicier soup season with curry powder or cayenne pepper.

Back