• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food has always been my comfort! feeling fed up and got cravings help!!

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all, up until recently I have not really had any mad cravings for food but over the last couple of days i am craving everything and anything. It's ranging from crisps and chocolate to pie and kievs. I have also started picking food off of others plates which is a habit i can't afford to get back into.

Think i am feeling fed up at the moment and food has always been my comfort. Any ideas on how i can get through this and get some positivity back. thanks guys and gals x

Tammy you have done so well and probably been runnin on high since yr op. What are you fed up about? Am i right in thinking you have children how about making some papermachet masks ready for halloween. Or pumpkin carving. Do you have any hobbies or intrests if not maybe look into doing something new Holistic thereapy course, acrylic nails, learn a new language anything to keep you occupied and out of the kitchen. When i go in the kitchen i always fill the sink full of hot soapy water the in is next to the sink so i scrape the plates and hands in the sink so they are full of soapy water so i dont want them near my mouth.
have you been ofered any ongoing support from the psycologist or weight loss clinic at all. maybe get in touch with them for some advice.
HTH
HC

Hi HC, i have tried lots of ideas to occupy me today we have been making cardboard houses and doing girlie hair and nails!!! my mind just seems so occupied with food and i think the hair loss is getting me down.

I have had no ongoing support (apart from here where everyone has been great) I don't regret my op at all but just don't seem to be positive at the moment. My weight loss has slowed too which i know is to be expected it has made me obsess over weighing myself.

maybe I'm just going mad Ha ha. thanks for you kind words. i think working full time with 2 kids gives me very little time for me. think i need to look at this and try to find some me time. take care xx

i think its like having your mental crutch being kicked out from under you, iv had a few moments where iv felt the need to comfort eat iv just changed what those foods are and have gone for what i call nibble food raisens dried fruit etc that need alot of chewing i found that it helped alot although i should probably be doing something not food orientated

Hi Tammy hun sorry your struggling with cravings, I dont know what to say to help but just wanted you to know I am here sending you good vibes.....could it be TOTM?? I know I get the urge for more food then.....((hug))....Linda x

When I did LighterLife I had very odd cravings. Raw onion being the oddest! Honestly I could have eaten one like an apple (I didn't) and I also would have killed for a fishfinger sandwich - I don't like fishfingers!

i think its like having your mental crutch being kicked out from under you, iv had a few moments where iv felt the need to comfort eat iv just changed what those foods are and have gone for what i call nibble food raisens dried fruit etc that need alot of chewing i found that it helped alot although i should probably be doing something not food orientated
Hi serentity thanks. i will try some of the nibble foods you metioned. sure it will get easier just need to readjust x

Hi Tammy hun sorry your struggling with cravings, I dont know what to say to help but just wanted you to know I am here sending you good vibes.....could it be TOTM?? I know I get the urge for more food then.....((hug))....Linda x
Didn't even think about TOTM might explain how i am feeling and the cravings. thanks for your positive vibes sure it is just a blip and i will be back to my positive self soon x

Didn't even think about TOTM might explain how i am feeling and the cravings. thanks for your positive vibes sure it is just a blip and i will be back to my positive self soon x

Tammy when its my TOTM I totally change, I so lack confidence and get weepy and want to eat all sorts its a very strong factor...talking of factors just watched x factor and I have 7 finalists that I like and want to win what am I going to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol....I will be sat in front of Mr Ammori on tuesday feeling like they did this evening waiting for a yes or no its horrible :( ......xx

hi tam
sos to hear u bit down hun..
you have done ever so well and hey your only human and thats why our minds do these mad things to us.
i have had the worst 3days ever i have eaten chocs, sweets, cake and even sponge and custard and i dont really like it and i am very new diabetic but just cant help the low feeling if i dont eat um and when i do..
takecare hun
emmaxx

Thanks Emma so glad i'm not alone with the food battle. my emotions are all over thr place just now and the hormones don't help. just not sure how to avoid eating. You take care and remeber we are all human and need to find comfort in some ways just need to rediscover another way apart from food!! x

Tammy when its my TOTM I totally change, I so lack confidence and get weepy and want to eat all sorts its a very strong factor...talking of factors just watched x factor and I have 7 finalists that I like and want to win what am I going to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol....I will be sat in front of Mr Ammori on tuesday feeling like they did this evening waiting for a yes or no its horrible :( ......xx
You will have a YES YES YES on tuesday i'm sure. keep me posted hun x

You take care and remeber we are all human and need to find comfort in some ways just need to rediscover another way apart from food!! x
Tammy you have so struck a chord with me there. Im a single parent and have devoted my past 19 yrs to my son. It is only now that he is spreading his wings and doing his own thing and no longer dependent on me that i realise how lonely my life is and how i seek comfort from food. Im hoping that with surgery and weightloss there will be a new more confident me when it comes to the opposite sex that i may be able to find some comfort in. Im very good at finding distration when it comes to finding myself in the kitchen but it really doesnt give me the comfort im seking.
hope you have a better day tomorrow
HC

"thin"

Hi Tammy, like you had some horrid cravings for food after the bypass and beat myself up if I put something in my mouth like a crisp or piece of chocolate......then had a momant of rare clarity, and firstly by saying this I know a lot of folks on here are going to poo poo the idea but if you think about how you have to eat after the bypass, its typically like a "thin" person would eat, slowly savouring each mouth full and enjoying your food, until our brain kicks in and tells us we are full.
Now here is what a "thin" person also does, if they really want something they have it, just bit of it and enjoy it, they dont gorge and eat a full packet of biscuits they may have one or two...now then I dont know about you but I look in the mirror and tell myself Im now a thin person and if i really want a bit of chocolate I have a bit, yep I admit I eat chocolate and I have had a bypass :D, but now Im that thin person (in my head at least for the minute!) I can allow myself a little of what I want without the worry its going to go straight to my thighs, enjoy your food and listen to your body and I dont think you will go too far wrong.............ok Im going to steady myself for the backlast now lol :giggle:

P.s if you really need something to keep your hand occupied, treat your self to a toyboy lol!

I have to agree with the above post. When I attended food for thought classes through the weight management clinic they talked about this and said if you want something to have it in moderation. If you dont have it you will crave it. Once you are told not to eat something you want it all the more. They said if one day you wanted to eat a whole bar of chocolate then do so. It will satisfy the urge and the next day you probably wont want it again. They also said to eat foods that were more satisfying ie dont eat fat free yoghurts because they leave you feeling disattisfied and you want something else, they suggested going for a mid range one which will hopefully take the edge of what your after. They further said no food is a bad food, there are foods you should eat more often than others but to say one is bad is wrong. They concluded that its never a diet but a healthy way of eating. xx

I'm with Caroline! If I tell myself I can't have something I just want it more. So if I crave chocolate, I have a small peice! It is teaching me moderation and control, and as a consequence, I don't feel like I'm 'on a diet' or being denied anything.

Mee too - I think you have to have 'treats' or you can't maintain this in the long term - remember it is different to a 'conventional' diet which you have done in the past where you may have to had to deny yourself things. This time it is a long term plan for better eating, so have the odd treat. I also am/was a huge comfort eater and I now tend to have some ben and jerrys frozen yogurt in the evenings - satisfies my sugar cravings but low(ish) fat too!!

Hi Tammy, like you had some horrid cravings for food after the bypass and beat myself up if I put something in my mouth like a crisp or piece of chocolate......then had a momant of rare clarity, and firstly by saying this I know a lot of folks on here are going to poo poo the idea but if you think about how you have to eat after the bypass, its typically like a "thin" person would eat, slowly savouring each mouth full and enjoying your food, until our brain kicks in and tells us we are full.
Now here is what a "thin" person also does, if they really want something they have it, just bit of it and enjoy it, they dont gorge and eat a full packet of biscuits they may have one or two...now then I dont know about you but I look in the mirror and tell myself Im now a thin person and if i really want a bit of chocolate I have a bit, yep I admit I eat chocolate and I have had a bypass :D, but now Im that thin person (in my head at least for the minute!) I can allow myself a little of what I want without the worry its going to go straight to my thighs, enjoy your food and listen to your body and I dont think you will go too far wrong.............ok Im going to steady myself for the backlast now lol :giggle:

P.s if you really need something to keep your hand occupied, treat your self to a toyboy lol!
Thanks Caroline, what you have said makes a whole lot of sense. the bypass is for life and i need to be realistic and that means allowing myself small pleasures (MMMM food or toyboy)HA HA.

You have made me think long and hard about why i am beating myself up for being human. thanks babe xx

Thanks guys and gals, i'm having a more positive day today and have had a jaffa cake WOHOO!!!! the bypass is for life (not just for xmas) !!! and i need to be realistic. i can have a little of what i fancy!!! xx

Back