• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

6 months seeing nutitionist b4 dr's referal :(

Amberleigh

Ok so i was going to go private as i didnt think i was big enough for nhs funding. Bmi = 41.5 but after seeing a few of you have got nhs funding with a similar or lower bmi i thought i may aswell try. Doctor said funding is an option but i must do 6months trying hard with nutritionist first which i suppose is fair enough. This is what my family wanted anyway.
Now im worried that ok i can see the nutritionist and try losing some but if i lose a couple of stone with him, im still 6 stone more than i need to be but no longer big enough for surgery to be an option :(
Doctor has also giving me on a weight loss pill called Orlistat which stops your body absorbing 1/3 of the fat from food. All when and good but also another temporary fix. What happens when he stops prescribing me them.
Anyways if i go private ive got to wait a little while while i get some pennies together so trying the nutritionist in the mean time cant hurt. Who knows, i may be lucky and get the ok for funding. Fingers crossed!!

Before I had a bypass,I tryed the orlistat,I was on it for a year(and lost weight)and also given sessions for slimming world.
But like many other...I lost and gained and a bit more.
The most I've ever lost on my own was 6 stone.
But years on I got to almost 20 stone..
So I knew surgery was the only option to stop me from getting bigger and bigger.
Im 2 years almost now since my bypass,and if I'm totally honest if there's any any chance you can do it on your own do it.
It's great at the start when the pounds fly off,but as time as gone on and being vitamin deficient and problems with iron I really wished at times i could have done it without surgery.
But I at the same time I will always be grateful to the nhs to help me get my life back x

I really want to do it on my own i just dont think i can without the help of surgery but im willing to try. Think il say ok to the pills and give the nutritionist a go. Worse that can happen is i put the weight back on and if i try for funding again they know ive tried :)

Like many others I have tried weight loss pills, off gp and internet etc, and umpteen diets programs and weight loss regimes and the only think that has ever worked for me long term is the band - nearly 2 years out and still maintaining and have not gained - as they say the proof is in the pudding ( pardon the pun x)

I have a feeling it wont last long term also but im gonna try anyway. Not like i have much choice now but just a shame this is going to delay me probably up to a year :(

It will be worth it.
Some NHS pct funding requires evidence that you have been through a six month weight loss management program. Mine didn't require this but my friend's pct has required her to do this. She started her journey 6 months before me & now she is over 8 months behind me still without funding approved. Post code lottery. I would just grab everything offered by your team as any weight loss is advantageous. My understanding is if you do loose a good amount it won't 'disqualify' you from your funding as it is your start BMI, weight, comorbities etc.
Good luck with your decision.

im in same boat chick, i had to do wht theyve asked u to do, ive got 5 more weeks of it then i get referred im not sure if its same with orilist but there is a national shortage on xenical so i cant get drugs to help me....try it hun, the time soons shoots by im almost at the referal bit now xx

Whats your bmi tho? I im at 41.5 so if i go down to under 40 they wont ok me for surgery anyway :(

A lot of PCT ask that you do weight management first.
At least you only have to do 6 months, some people on here have to do 12 months (I did 18 months)
My weight stayed the same the whole time as long as you try not to put any weight on they should be happy
Use the 6 months wisely. Research as much as you can, and ask all the questions you and your family need to make the journey easier

My bmi is 51 Hun x

Im just scared now. I know i can lose quite a bit dieting but i never get more than half way. Im not expecting them to say yes to funding me anyway but if i have to purposely regain the weight just so they will do it i will be gutted!!

I was told funding is based on your starting BMI / weight. Check out you PCT criteria so you fully understand what you are expected to do. If after all you have to go through & funding is refused then there is an appeals proceed urge. So don't get worried just yet. It is a long struggle but worth it.

I said to doctor that im worried if i lose too much weight b4 referal il be rufused funding and he didnt say anything bout starting bmi just said that alot of clinics expect u to ha e done it

Back