• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A couple of hospital/recovery related questions

NT1977

Preparing myself at the moment so sorry for all the questions again!

- where did you buy cotton knickers from?
- what wind relief did you use? I have used windeze before
- what pain relief did you have at home on stand by? I am not allowed aspirin based pain relief anyway
- when in hospital what did you actually do when waiting/recovering? did you sit and read/watch TV? wear your PJ's or get dressed? I am going in the night before so I can be one of the first operated on in the morning which is better for my nerves!

Thanks in advance

Nx

HI there!

I bought cotton knickers just from Asda but had to wear paper ones during th Op! They were tiny.

For Wind relief I found walking round best..but windeze is fine and Peppermint tea helps also

I had co-codomol at home, although, you have to be careful as it can cause constipation, not an issue for me I was the other way post op (sorry tmi)

While waiting for my surgery I read and watched TV and I had my hubby with me..also play on ipad.. when recovering there was no time to do anything I was with THG and they literally woke me up about 0600 gave me yoghurt and Juice then sent me on my way about 0730 to prepare for the next batch of patients!

Hope that helps and best of luck!

xxx

- what pain relief did you have at home on stand by? I am not allowed aspirin based pain relief anyway
- when in hospital what did you actually do when waiting/recovering? did you sit and read/watch TV? wear your PJ's or get dressed? I am going in the night before so I can be one of the first operated on in the morning which is better for my nerves!

Thanks in advance

Nx

So my knickers came from sainsburys, I went into the hospital with windeze and peppermint tea, I wasn't allowed the windeze and was told to never have it by my surgeon and was allowed peppermint tea the day after the op. The wind pain I had was really bad, but that was the only real pain I had, walking really did help!

I was sent home with a paracetamol suspension, but I couldnt manage it's sickly taste, so I used soluble panadol with all the fizz beaten out of it, but I didnt need much after the first day or two. I was also sent home with an anti inflammatory and an antacid.

In hospital I had hubby, TV and my phone, the Wifi wasn't working and I had lots of films downloaded to it that I wasn't going to be able to watch. When I was brought back around from recovery, I was put straight into my chair, there was no way I could get in my PJ's I just sat there gormlessly. I was not able to get up or walk around for 3 hours, then after I did I was allowed to bed for 2 hours, then back up walking, then back in the chair. I was so exhausted I couldn't really be chatty or concentrate on the TV. It went very quickly though and it was to help me recover quickly and I did!

When i got home I slept like a log and the next day I had a horrific headache (but I suffer with migraines anyway), then the day after I felt great and went back to work

Good luck for your op, are you excited? x

thank you both

I am really excited, I am going to be on my own for the operation as leaving OH at home with the kids. As I have had a blood clot in the past I know the key for me is going to be walking / moving so they will want me up and about as quickly as possible which is fine.

Thanks in advance

Nx

Good luck for your surgery.

1) I wore boyshort undies from M&S, but was given tena knickers to wear in the surgery as most hospital require you to wear knickers they give you.

2) for wind relief I swear by a peppermint stomach massage. If you buy some peppermint oil (and maybe a base oil to make it last longer) and massage it over your stomach in circular motions it works a treat.
Windeze is ok, but I found Infacol worked faster. But as someone else pointed out moving around and sipping water (&peppermint tea or any hot drink as the heat soothes and relaxes the muscles). helps a lot, maybe more than medications.

Also try some yoga moves partically wind removing pose. And a hot water bottle or heat pads.

3) I left the hospital with a supply of Paracetamol and Diclofenic. And Tramdol. Before the surgery I had bought soluble co-codamol and liquid ibuprofen(which I never used). But your surgical team will give you sufficient at home pain relief.

4) Slept. I got to the hospital for 7 in the morning and by 8 all my pre-op checks had been done. I sat in bed to watch morning tv and the next thing I knew it was 11.00am and I was being woken up to go into surgery. I was still half asleep when I was being given anaesthetic, which is probably a good thing as I didn't get the chance to have any last minute nerves.

After surgery I slept until early evening, and then was watching tv and surfing the net (in fact the nurses were laughing at me because i was buying new clothes online) When I needed to go to the bathroom the nurse helped me out of bed and then I couldn't face going back to bed so walked around for an hour.

I walked to theatre in a tiny pair of paper knickers which they provided but when I came round in recovery I wasn't wearing any, so goodness knows what they get up to when you are anaesthetised!

Didn't need cotton knickers and wasn't allowed to wear any for surgery.

- when in hospital what did you actually do when waiting/recovering? did you sit and read/watch TV?

I found boots own brand have worked when I've needed them but haven't suffered much with wind pain.

They have me soluble codeine but I also had some at home anyway as I take them for migraine pain.

- when in hospital what did you actually do when waiting/recovering? did you sit and read/watch TV?

I was first for surgery but that wasn't til lunchtime. Arrived at 930am, had to get changed nto gown and surgical stockings. I then watched tv (after my aunt and son had gone) but then sat and wrote another letter for my son in case I didn't wake up.

After surgery my anaesthetic wiped me out so I spent most of the time dozing.

M&S and I was allowed to wear them (weird isn't is, Top Kat and i had the same surgeon!)

Deflatine, Windeze, Boots own brand - tried all! Boots or Deflatine worked better for me. Also peppermint tea but I hate the taste :p

Liquid paracetamol and soluble codein - only use the codein if paracetamol isn't enough as it makes you constipated

I loved being in the hospital :) it got harder when I came back home. My husband was with me all day, he only had to leave around 10pm so that was great (this is THG Dolan Park). The happiest thing for me after the op was the chicken soup they gave me haha. After 3 weeks of pre op milk and yogurt, it tasted like the best thing ever lol! After sleeping on and off for several hours they made me get up and changed into PJs. Then i started walking about, I chatted with other banded people, we walked around in the corridors, cheered up for each others first burps haha. In the evening I was on my iPad, listened to my audio book and slept early. You'll be very tired :)

Good luck! xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi= whats all this about cotton knickers? do we have to have them? cant find anywhere that says i should. Dont think paper knickers would fit my bottom!!! x

Well you have 3 options: 100% cotton, hospital's paper ones or none at all :) I opted for the first lol x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I have found 100% cotton knickers in M&S - would you believe it the ones I wear every day!LOL so i have told OH he can treat me to new PJ's cause I saved money on knickers - love my logic!

Back