• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospital fashion tips!

Boblatina

I have read lots of really useful tips about what you should take with you to hospital but I just have a few questions before I spend too much money on a new wardrobe for when I am in hospital.

The time estimate I have been given is 4 days (ie in on Monday, Op Tuesday, home Friday) . So I will need jim-jams for that time and for a while when I get home. But the problem is that I don't actually wear nighties or PJs or anything at all. So I need to buy new stuff.

What do people recommend? Nightdresses or PJ's? (I would prefer PJ's - the ones with shorts and a sleeveless T shirt/camisole top for preference but do these hurt your scars post-op?)

I have read that you are best getting a bigger size that normal because you are a bit swollen and gassy afterwards. Is this right? How much bigger should you buy?

The same with knickers. I normally wear lycra control granny pants which even I can see are a bit of a no-no but what alternatives should i get? High leg briefs? Boy shorts? Thong? (Please say no to that - there are other people in the Hospital we have to consider :eek:) How much bigger than standard would you get these in?

Sorry in advance for all these questions I have been asking but, unless I know what is going to happen, I get very worked up. (Wot? Anal? Moi!?)

love

TillyBob

Hi
I was only in hospital 2 nights but i took nighties and pj's. I don't normally wear nighties prefer pj's but yes they are better for your wound initially. I wore my pj's on day 3 at home so you may very well be fine. I bought one size bigger and they were fine,
. As far as knickers go i bought cotton briefs that sat just under my tummy and they were fine. I bought a loose track suit( again a size bigger) to go home in. Hope this helps x

I heard nighty is good for the time you have a catheter in, unless you want tubes trailing out the bottom of your pj's..

I have the same thing as you, i don't normally bother with nightclothes, usually too hot for me to even go under the covers till about 4 in the morning anyway.. God when i get my op people could be seriously traumatised..............

Good luck with your operation.

I went in on Monday with 2 pairs jim jams.
Had op monday so wore a gown, tuesday wore gown, weds wore gown till lunchtime after my Iv, oxygen were removed. Have to say it was hard work shuffling up the bed with baggy jammies on rather than bare butt to the mattress lol :D

I took both Nighties and jama's but found the pjays uncomfortable so stuck with the night dresses. With regards to underwear, couldn't wear a bra for ages after and bought a pile of sloggies pants. They were comfortable and fine.

I have read lots of really useful tips about what you should take with you to hospital but I just have a few questions before I spend too much money on a new wardrobe for when I am in hospital.

The time estimate I have been given is 4 days (ie in on Monday, Op Tuesday, home Friday) . So I will need jim-jams for that time and for a while when I get home. But the problem is that I don't actually wear nighties or PJs or anything at all. So I need to buy new stuff.

What do people recommend? Nightdresses or PJ's? (I would prefer PJ's - the ones with shorts and a sleeveless T shirt/camisole top for preference but do these hurt your scars post-op?)

I have read that you are best getting a bigger size that normal because you are a bit swollen and gassy afterwards. Is this right? How much bigger should you buy?

The same with knickers. I normally wear lycra control granny pants which even I can see are a bit of a no-no but what alternatives should i get? High leg briefs? Boy shorts? Thong? (Please say no to that - there are other people in the Hospital we have to consider :eek:) How much bigger than standard would you get these in?

Sorry in advance for all these questions I have been asking but, unless I know what is going to happen, I get very worked up. (Wot? Anal? Moi!?)

love

TillyBob

Oh my God if we end up on the same ward you gonna burst my stitches....lol @anal and getting gassy.

I'll let you know "I'm a lady" and never get gassy...lol

I'm looking at the moment at getting some new night wear but O can't find anything...Well nothing that I would want to wear.

I can't stand anything close fitting...I like loose clothing and am looking for some nice PJ's even mens PJ's as long as I can make them look feminine by putting some lace or some thing on them...dressing them up a bit.

I have bought several pairs on red satin thongs ... I can get you some too if you want them..................................................................................................................................................................................only joking.

I have checked Simply Be but other than some night shirts everything else was a bit close fitting.

Knickers?...it's gonna have to be grannies best cotton I reckon....

Good luck

(((hugs)))

I was told loose clothing would be better so opted for long nightshirts but was only in 2 nights, and a loose stretchy skirt to wear home. (plus cushion to hold whilst in car)

I think it also comes down to personal choices. I don't normally wear anything for bed but obviously when I'm in hospital its a different matter. I took pj's as I hate being covered by the quilts and bedding (I always lay on top of the bed). I'm a bander so was'nt catheterised though. Maybe a nightie for 1st op night and then pj's for after. Mine did'nt hurt my stomach as they were big on me after I had done the pre op diet. Good luck with your choicexx

I took massive nighties and a dressing gown.Didn't bother with knickers till I was coming home, although they did give me a pair that would just about fit a barbie doll, to wear down to theatre:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was told loose clothing would be better so opted for long nightshirts but was only in 2 nights, and a loose stretchy skirt to wear home. (plus cushion to hold whilst in car)

I didn't know about a cushion to hold while in car, learn something new everyday!

you will get all you need from matalan, lge size nighty`s £7.00 5 x pairs full nickers 100% cotton £2.5o velour tracksuit £18.00 all big sizes available. Gail.x:p

I wore a hosp. gown the 5 days I was there. When I went home I wore a very big t-shirt and sweatpants. Panties and no bra.

Definitely bring a large bathrobe with you. I bought one off ebay because I knew I'd be walking the halls of the hosp. at least 4 times a day and I didn't want my butt hanging out of the gown.

I had a band so only had drip in my arm. I was never out of the gown even tho I brought jammies wiht me. I thought they give you paper panties but they didn't and stupid me wore black silky ones going there - bet my surgeon had a laugh when he pulled my gown up!! I had to fly the next day so I had a really loose dress, you are swollen so nothing tight. xx

I was in for 5 days and used one pair of pj's. The first couple of days I had a catheter and wore several hospital gowns. My drain kept leaking so they kept having to change it. My pj's have come in very handy since I've got home though, even though I never used to wear them pre-op. But they're baggy and comfy on my stomach.

I think my bypass must have been done different to most of you, i did'nt have a catheter and my incisions were all under my bust. I wore pj's and took sloggie knickers.

I had no catheter... My five cuts under my bust line.... I had mr amorri at Manchester spire .... Only had one night in as well xxx strange xxx

Back