• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A New Start - Gastric Band

leedsburr

Hi All.....

Ive just had my date for my Gastric Band op......

Im 31 weigh 24 stone and am 6ft2. Ive struggled since my teens with my weight and its just gradually got worse and worse.

I was turned down for NHS funding last year as i dont have diabetes. Even tho my Dad and my Grandmother had it, im sure to end up with it if i dont do something about my weight, the NHS in Worcestershire really weren't interested.

To add insult to injury i worked for a PCT at the time!

I booked an appointment to see a consultant privately and am funding it myself as i really dont want to go through the stress of the NHS again.

I am booked in at Nuffield Leeds for the 18th March and have been told i need to loose 6-7 lbs pre op. Consultant said she didnt mind how i lost it.

So im excited and have to say i am really comforted to read others stories on here.

Thanks :) just reading this forum over the last few days has given me great strength.... I had been researching for so long about the procedure but when I was turned down I was in turmoil.... But recent job changes have allowed me to go for it

Hi there welcome and very good luck :) I have just been thru the NHS for my gastric band (fitted yesterday) it was along 3 years but found my journey strangely for filling. I learned an awful lot about myself and my comfort eating. The pre op diet relly empowered me and so far so good am feeling well and very positive. wishing you all the very best and congrats on making the decision, i hope you too find it extremely positive and empowering x x x x

Wow... Fitted yesterday! How do u feel. I'm kind of impatient , hence why I'm going to pay...

welcome,

I'm a bander at 18 months post op, but started at 24 stone too, I've lost 11 stone so far and still going although have had issues with the band which has meant I'm having restriction issues despite 13 fills. It's a great tool to aid weightloss, if you are prepared to work with it.

Good luck on your journey :)

Wow... Fitted yesterday! How do u feel. I'm kind of impatient , hence why I'm going to pay...

LOL yes yesterday so am just a baby bander lol I can understand why you would be paying, its a long wait via NHS and hve been pretty impatient at time myself but i feel for me the slow route was the best route. I have suffered depression, panic and anxiety for many years on top of ME chronic fatigue so the slow process was enough to reassure me, and it also helped to wait for my health to be in a better place. I think if they had offered me the op 3 months down the line i probably would have backed away at that time. But i think as long as your ready then go for it :D:D there are loads of seasoned banders here, which you can learn so much from. congrats on taking the plunge on your new life all the very best and good luck thrown in :D
So far for me all i can say is its been emotional lol but extremely positive and as i said before very empowering, which is surly helping with the panic, anxiety, depression and all has a knock on effect on the ME too . x x x x

Hi All.....

Ive just had my date for my Gastric Band op......

Im 31 weigh 24 stone and am 6ft2. Ive struggled since my teens with my weight and its just gradually got worse and worse.

I was turned down for NHS funding last year as i dont have diabetes. Even tho my Dad and my Grandmother had it, im sure to end up with it if i dont do something about my weight, the NHS in Worcestershire really weren't interested.

To add insult to injury i worked for a PCT at the time!

I booked an appointment to see a consultant privately and am funding it myself as i really dont want to go through the stress of the NHS again.

I am booked in at Nuffield Leeds for the 18th March and have been told i need to loose 6-7 lbs pre op. Consultant said she didnt mind how i lost it.

So im excited and have to say i am really comforted to read others stories on here.
Hi Leedsburr

Had my band fitted 5 days ago and so far so good. I paid for my band and the whole experience has been very well supported by my provider. Had phone calls, emails etc from them since being discharged and have all my follow up appointments arranged.

Starting to feel human again today, although it generally hasn't been that bad.

These last 5 days have been great in the fact that I am on liquids for 2 weeks and hardly need to think about food. It's great not stuffing my face for once and it feels like I've been freed from food.

Good luck on your journey xxxx

Congratulations on booking and getting your date, and welcome to a fabulous forum! X

Kirsty

Hello and welcome !

Hello and welcome!

All the very best for your band. I was banded back in September and to be honest I've found it all very straightforward. I've been well supported and had no issues at all so far (famous last words).

Good luck!

hi and welcome

Thanks for all the lovely messages i feel so welcome!

Sorry ive not had a chance to reply the last week has been manic with work and im trying to tie up a big project before i go off in march for my surgery.

I have started to eat a bit more healthier to try and start to loose the weight requires (6-7lbs) before the surgery but will do a big push the 2 weeks beforehand

Back