• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question for the men

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
Just wondered if anyone had any info on plastics for men.
My son, who has lost a lot of weight without WLS is interested in finding out more about having his 'manboobs' reduced - don't know whether lipo alone would be enough or if some kind of reconstruction of the skin might be needed.
He's looking at the costs of having it done privately and we would be grateful for any info/recommendations or ideas of the costs involved.
Many thanks!

Sorry not a man but just a thought. I'm guessing your sons gp will have a rough idea of his starting weight, is it worth him speaking to his gp and seeing if they'll refer for surgery? You could try the 'making me down' route etc..

Gotta be worth a shot xxx

Hi Julie
He's been referred by his GP, as his BMI is now 22 and he feels they are still an issue. We're not optimistic about our PCT funding what they tend to consider 'vanity surgery' so we're going to look at the possibilities of private surgery.
At 19 he feels the issue is holding him back, particularly in relationships. While I don't see it as extreme, I understand the issues of looking different only too well, and if it's something we can fix without years of adult misery, we would like to get it done.

I agree with you whole heartedly Gill... As you say he is only 19, and although an adult, 'boys' can be cruel without meaning to be with the Moobs jokes........

I hope he doesn't have to pay for it, but if he does i hope it makes him happy :) Well done to him for losing the weight btw xx

My brother in law had this done 2 years ago but was told lipo was not enough as like lady boobs skin would not go alone and so is done along lines of ladies reduction removing nipple etc he got his on NHS so good luck

An update:

My son was put on the list by his plastic surgeon yesterday to have this done on the NHS - for which we are very grateful. His surgeon has been very supportive and pleasant all the way through the consultation process.

It's good to see there are still some positive outcomes in this current climate.

Good to hear :)

My moobs are the only things stopping me from swimming. Sounds silly but when I was big, people expected them, now I'm not so big, they are the thing I dislike most!

They really do have an impact on his activities. He is confident in so many ways, but won't go swimming either, wouldn't sunbathe on holiday and I know it impacts on his relationship with his girlfriend.

all the best to him

That's such good news. I'm so pleased for your son.
Grace xxx

Back