• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A quick introduction

TiaLi

Hello everyone,

I don't even know where to start...my story is a long and complicated one, and my brain is a bit too tired at the moment to go into too much detail. I will start a diary thread when I'm a bit more alert and do a more in-depth presentation, but just wanted to say a quick hello.

The very short version is that I was first referred for surgery back in early 2013. It has hence taken 4 years to now finally have a confirmed date for surgery - so while I'm a "newbie" in the sense that I am not yet on the losers' bench, I am a tired old veteran when it comes to being bounced around the NHS.

I'm conscious that I'm not in the best place I can be mentally for this surgery (but waiting even longer is not an option, as the long wait is partly what has contributed to this), so I'm hoping that the support of this group will help kick my head into gear and provide me with a bit of a safety net along the journey.

My surgery (bypass) is in March at King's College Hospital. Well, hopefully it will be. After all these years I'm not taking anything for granted - I don't think I'll believe it until I wake up after surgery!

x

Hello and welcome. It sounds like you have been on quite a long journey already. I look forward to reading more of your posts :) x

look forward to reading your journey and why it's taken 4 years. hopefully the end is near x

Ah, just noticed my thread is awaiting moderation so that link might not work yet. And my replies are awaiting moderation as well... Do they do that with all posts?

UPDATE - just read somewhere that the 50 (!) first posts need to be moderated before they appear? Is that still the case? While I understand that the reasoning behind that is to control spam and trolls, I must say it makes it very difficult and frustrating trying to communicate as a newbie (my posts have been waiting 8.5 hours for moderation already).

Last edited:
Ah, just noticed my thread is awaiting moderation so that link might not work yet. And my replies are awaiting moderation as well... Do they do that with all posts?

UPDATE - just read somewhere that the 50 (!) first posts need to be moderated before they appear? Is that still the case? While I understand that the reasoning behind that is to control spam and trolls, I must say it makes it very difficult and frustrating trying to communicate as a newbie (my posts have been waiting 8.5 hours for moderation already).

@TiaLi I am said moderator and do this in my own spare time. It's not my paid job, I have one of those already. You posted the above at 3.13 (five hours ago) while I was at work, sorry I couldn't be here to approve your seven posts (I think thats how many were showing when I logged in for the first time today after a 12 hour day at work) immediatly but.........:mad:

You read wrong by the way! Its not the first 50 at all, it's the first three, just to check you are not a spammer or troll but as you posted so many, one was very long. which is another trigger, so all went into moderation until I had a chance to review them all.

You do need 50+ posts to get full access to the forum, which I'm sure won't take you long but please don't use the word association threads to build up your posts, that post was not approved, sorry.

If subsequent posts go into moderation, I'm afraid you may have to be patient, especially if its in the week.

@TiaLi I am said moderator and do this in my own spare time. It's not my paid job, I have one of those already. You posted the above at 3.13 (five hours ago) while I was at work, sorry I couldn't be here to approve your seven posts (I think thats how many were showing when I logged in for the first time today after a 12 hour day at work) immediatly but.........:mad:

You read wrong by the way! Its not the first 50 at all, it's the first three, just to check you are not a spammer or troll but as you posted so many, one was very long. which is another trigger, so all went into moderation until I had a chance to review them all.

You do need 50+ posts to get full access to the forum, which I'm sure won't take you long but please don't use the word association threads to build up your posts, that post was not approved, sorry.

If subsequent posts go into moderation, I'm afraid you may have to be patient, especially if its in the week.

Hi Mazza,

Yes, that particular post was from 3:13 pm, the 8.5 hours was referring to the earliest post that awaited moderation (which was from 11:23). I'm not sure why your reply is so hostile, I was not being rude and simply asked for clarification on the rules? It doesn't exactly make me feel very welcome I must say, which doesn't feel very good considering I came here in the hope for support.

I guess I got the 50 post rule wrong, I simply made a search for previous posts on the topic to see what I could find, and that's what it said (that is also the one that suggested using the word association by the way). If it is now simply three that is of course a whole different matter - I was picturing having to wait for 50 posts, all of which would take approximately one day before they became visible. I have so many questions about my upcoming surgery and was keen on being able to communicate with people in this group.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! :) I'm similar to you in that I've was first referred years ago, but the waiting list in my last place of residence was 10 years! Now I'm in a better area, I'll hopefully have a date in a year or so.

Hi Jenne, nice to meet you. Yes it does seem to vary greatly depending on region. In my case there were also mistakes made by hospital staff that contributed to the wait. I hope you'll get a date soon!

@TiaLi I'm not sure why you think my reply was hostile? I certainly wasn't being rude either but I was explaining the rules, why we have them and why I can't be here all day every day. Which I thought was needed due to your expressed frustration at waiting so long.

There has never been a 50 post rule and posts suggesting to use word association threads were made in the past to encourage members to build up their number of posts so that they could use the private messaging function - we no longer have that facility.

@TiaLi I'm not sure why you think my reply was hostile? I certainly wasn't being rude either but I was explaining the rules, why we have them and why I can't be here all day every day. Which I thought was needed due to your expressed frustration at waiting so long.

There has never been a 50 post rule and posts suggesting to use word association threads were made in the past to encourage members to build up their number of posts so that they could use the private messaging function - we no longer have that facility.

I guess I was confused by the angry emoji.

Back