• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just looking for reassurance.

actionfish

Hello all, My name is Lucy, I'm 35 years old and went through my gastric bypass on 1st November which was performed by the King's College Hospital team here in London. I've been home for a week now and I'm recovering by degrees, there is no pain and so far I have tolerated liquids without any trouble.

In fact i am so symptom free that it worries me. I know that probably sounds stupid, but in a way it makes it harder to stick to the constant milk and fluid diet because of it. I expected to feel different to the pre-op me and I just... feel very normal.

Hi I had my bypass on 8th November and have no pain either, I feel a bit sick but other than that I feel fine, I joked with the nurse that they had just stuck 5 plasters on me and had done nothing. It was so not what I expected to think they have cut our stomachs and we dont hurt is amazing.....I will follow your progress as your a week ahead of me....xx

Hi Lucy,

Welcome to Mini's :) I felt similar, I had no pain, and was up and about doing things quite easily post op. I ended up cheating and having purees and mush early as I was so sick of liquids! But I wouldn't recommend it, I was lucky and had no problems.

Everyone recovers differently, so try to enjoy how easy you're finding it, it's preferable to feeling rotten still!

Hi Lucy

I had my bypass in Manchester back in August despite the fact i live in London, and like yourself i've very little in the way of complications or issues.
You need to follow the advise of your consultant regarding eating or trying to push things at the moment as dispite not having much to show on the outside, your insides have been completely jigged about and will need time to heal.

But welcome to the losing side and minimins

Richard :D

Hi charliegirl,

It's incredible how quickly I've got back onto my feet! I had thought I would be at least feeling weak with the lack of food.

I'm glad there's someone else who feels as little of a patient as I do.

:)

Thanks for the reply Shel,

I'm certainly glad that there's no pain, I'm a worrier and that's my main problem!

I'm attempting to be good and not cheat on the liquid diet, even if sometimes I think I'll crack with it.

It's seeing people further along the line, like yourself, that keeps me going. :) x

Hi Richard,

Thanks for replying, it's great to hear other people's experiences, I sometimes think I am on my own out here drowning in a sea of milk!

It's hard to believe that there have been so many changes with my stomach. I'm still getting to know my new system and i think it might take a while.

Glad to be part of minimins! And more so to be post and not pre-op anymore. :)

Im the same no pain and think i have just had five plasters stuck on my belly. Cant wait for them to come off.
Ive not had much in the way of milk post op been having home made soups made with plenty of meat stock, smoothies, yogurt, jelly and occasional milky coffee.
I find it amaising that we are all feeling so good after going through major surgery but feel that richard is right the key to a healthy speedy recovery is good nutrition and following the surgeons advice.
Hc

Hi, I am just short of two weeks post-op and I too was shocked at how good I feel. The only thing I struggle with is being more tired than usual. Part of the process of the liquid part is that it helps you ramp up your fluid intake before you start your heavier foods so take it slow & follow your professional advice. That is not to say it is easy, I CRAVE some food with texture. I am looking forward to tomorrow when I start purees.

Good luck and take care.

Those that didn't have any pain, did you have open surgery, or key hole?

I have a pretty high pain threshold, and i've been in a fair bit of pain. I had open surgery, and my tummy muscles are screwed. My wound has healed really well, and i don't need to take pain meds now, but still when i cough and sneeze, or if i'm on my feet for too long, i do get sore.

I had keyhole and had very little pain after discharge. Had a lot of pain immediately post op but that was more my back from being on the table.

think wannafitonaplaneseat had open, but most people now have keyhole :)

Hi Wobbles

No, I had open surgery too! You're not alone!! ;) Just noticed you are in Leeds - did you have Mr Pollard by any chance?
In response to the original question, I had very little pain after my op and was on pureed foods pretty soon after my op with no ill effects. My surgeon said you'll know when the times right and he was right! Now, some 15 weeks on it feels like i've always been like this - I just feel like me. In some ways it feels like years ago!

Thanks to all that replied, I've just had my wounds re-dressed and the nurse was a little surprised at just how quickly I'm healing! I couldn't be happier and I'm very comforted to hear other people's experiences.

Onwards and upwards! (or downwards... preferably)

I feel a bit sick but other than that I feel fine, I joked with the nurse that they had just stuck 5 plasters on me and had done nothing.

I can relate to that Linda,but i hadnt have anything done lol.

My bypass wasnt completed Lucy but all my scars healed fine the only one i had a problem with was the one under my boob,but a few people have said on the forum they had a problem with that one.

Good luck with your journey ahead and welcome to minimins.

Di

I had keyhole and still wonder if they have actually cut anything inside me as not taking any pain killers and had no pain and no wind....xx

hi and welcome to minis. i too was pretty symptom free for the first few weeks and certainly felt 100% better than i thought i would. you need to try to take things easy though as i did overdo things and it set me back a bit. try to relax and chill. look forward to tracking your progress x

I can relate to that Linda,but i hadnt have anything done lol.

My bypass wasnt completed Lucy but all my scars healed fine the only one i had a problem with was the one under my boob,but a few people have said on the forum they had a problem with that one.

Good luck with your journey ahead and welcome to minimins.

Di

Di you were so on my mind when I was in recovery they kept trying to tell me I had bitten my lip really badly and they wanted me to feel it and all I kept saying was "has he done the bypass".....I was so convinced he had taken one look at my liver and refused see the effect you have on me chick lol.....by the way my lip was a right mess maybe I was trying to have my last meal or it might of been when I was saying Night night to them all before knock out....xx

Back