• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Waiting Game

A.Positive

So, today I had my pre-assessment. It went very well. The surgeon said I was a prime candidate and was happy to go ahead with my bypass. The team was lovely.

But...My PCT have just introduced a new measure that states I have to have documented attempts at weightloss for at least a year. My surgeon wasn't happy about it and they are trying to fight the decision. He feels that so many people that find themselves at this stage have already tried to loose weigh countless times and even if they can get the weight off, they only put it back on (as we all know).

He will write to my GP and we'll just have to take it from there. I am quite disappointed, the surgeon said I could have been in surgery within 8 weeks otherwise as my diabetes is not great. I have to speak to my GP about meds which could have been avoid if I didn't have to wait.

Oh well, nothing before it's time, they say.

In some areas it is now 24 months :/ unfortunately with the new commissioning groups they are all following the national rules and so the rules are bein made harder in order to reduce the numbers that get their ops.

I really hope this is something that can be overcome quickly for you xx

A ray of hope!

I spoke with the clinical nurse again and she said that they are back dating this to all patients who were referred from April. I was referred in the last 2 weeks of March (according to my records). Also, if my GP can show that made attempts at weightloss in the community (Slimming Words and so forth) then she really feels that I may just squeeze through.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thank you Lincs Lass!

Back